Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

My sister is in middle school, and she was just nominated for student of the month. I congratulated her, and she raised her eyebrows and said, "It's not a big deal, or even a real thing". It's anecdotal, but this is the sentiment I generally receive from children I know getting awards that they can sniff out to be phony and just trying to make them feel good.

I don't think it's leading to a dystopian communistic future or a wussification of our children.

I think that speaks well of your sister. I'm not sure the average kid looks at it that way. It sets some up for a hard landing when they reach their teens and have to socially fly on their own. I'm all for praising hard work and accomplishment. I just remember school being a timeclock you punched from year to year. Have fun with your friends, do your work, go home and play outside....then go bonkers over the summer and repeat.

It isn't the kids' fault.

I think that speaks well of your sister. I'm not sure the average kid looks at it that way. It sets some up for a hard landing when they reach their teens and have to socially fly on their own. I'm all for praising hard work and accomplishment. I just remember school being a timeclock you punched from year to year. Have fun with your friends, do your work, go home and play outside....then go bonkers over the summer and repeat.

It isn't the kids' fault.

Dude. When did you turn 70? I went to my MUD dance, had graduations from kindergarten, 6th, 9th, and 12th grades. It's no different than it ever has been. And the day I look up to china for their work/social ethic is the day I'm getting my new liver from some poor guy who is in jail because he accidentally typed "free speech" into his Baidu search engine.

Dude. When did you turn 70? I went to my MUD dance, had graduations from kindergarten, 6th, 9th, and 12th grades. It's no different than it ever has been. And the day I look up to china for their work/social ethic is the day I'm getting my new liver from some poor guy who is in jail because he accidentally typed "free speech" into his Baidu search engine.

OK...it's the awesome thread. Enough of my outdated ideals.

I'm going to go mix me a proper Whiskey Sour and throw a few 8mm reels into the projector of some Flappers....

I'm going to go mix me a proper Whiskey Sour and throw a few 8mm reels into the projector of some Flappers....

I suppose we should have known that Dwight's p0rn tastes would lean towards cougars.

I've heard the whiskey sour is making a comeback now.

Not sure if this was posted before, but if like Cello rock, you'll love these guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk

I think someone did post that before (Nova Scotia?), because when Arc asked what song the other guys played I kept hearing Thunderstruck, lol. They are also awesome.