Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

You scientists aren't aware that body odor doesn't necessarily come from poor hygiene? Nice.

Of course there are exceptions, but generally people of that size and (infrequent) showering habits, hygiene is largely to blame.

Of course there are exceptions, but generally people of that size and (infrequent) showering habits, hygiene is largely to blame.

Two days in a row at the gym last week I had the same exact guy who apparently didn't believe in deodorant take up shop at the treadmill right next to me. Both times I lasted about 30 seconds before I got the hell out of there. I always hated that gym, but this will be my lasting memory of that place. I canceled my membership that day.

I never have to go back to that dump. So yes, this is in fact something that is awesome.

You know how often he showers? I'm only chiming in because of an experience I had in college. A sort of friend of mine and co-worker in a university office smelled pretty bad. He was heavy-set, and yes, he fit the stereotype you are presenting: socially withdrawn, "strange" etc. Another co-worker went to our boss and complained. The guy was called in and a discreet discussion took place. The story went around that hygiene wasn't the problem at all; he had some medical condition that was causing it. If you think about it, with a problem like that, it's no wonder you'd be withdrawn and might "let yourself go" and gain a ton of weight. Just some food for thought.

You know how often he showers? I'm only chiming in because of an experience I had in college. A sort of friend of mine and co-worker in a university office smelled pretty bad. He was heavy-set, and yes, he fit the stereotype you are presenting: socially withdrawn, "strange" etc. Another co-worker went to our boss and complained. The guy was called in and a discreet discussion took place. The story went around that hygiene wasn't the problem at all; he had some medical condition that was causing it. If you think about it, with a problem like that, it's no wonder you'd be withdrawn and might "let yourself go" and gain a ton of weight. Just some food for thought.

The NPR story linked above mentions a woman with exactly that story.

I can usually tell if someone has showered by looking at his/her hair.

I can usually tell if someone has showered by looking at his/her hair.

Yep. This guy has greasy hair nearly every day. I suppose he could be showering at night, but his hair gets nastier, and he is "noticed" from further away, as the week goes on so I am highly skeptical.

Fair enough; and I do feel for people with such a condition, but I think that condition is far more rare than the number of stinky folks out there. Sometimes it's just a cultural thing. I used to work with a nice Chinese lady who did not find daily showers a necessity and would sometimes wear the exact same clothes three days in a row.

Fair enough; and I do feel for people with such a condition, but I think that condition is far more rare than the number of stinky folks out there. Sometimes it's just a cultural thing. I used to work with a nice Chinese lady who did not find daily showers a necessity and would sometimes wear the exact same clothes three days in a row.

I worked with an Indian woman years ago, she was a very nice lady and competent scientist. But there was a cultural/religious custom that she engaged in where she fasted for a week. No food and maybe a few sips of water for an entire week! She didn't shower either and maybe changed her clothes twice. By day 3 or 4 she was completely useless at work, not to mention quite ripe. Her desk was next to mine and she would sit there with her head down nearly comatose for 3/4 of the day. Her boss / HR never said anything about the lack of productivity though, I guess they were afraid of religious intolerance claims. The most ridiculous part of this fasting tradition? Only the women were called to do it, men were exempt.

I worked with an Indian woman years ago, she was a very nice lady and competent scientist. But there was a cultural/religious custom that she engaged in where she fasted for a week. No food and maybe a few sips of water for an entire week! She didn't shower either and maybe changed her clothes twice. By day 3 or 4 she was completely useless at work, not to mention quite ripe. Her desk was next to mine and she would sit there with her head down nearly comatose for 3/4 of the day. Her boss / HR never said anything about the lack of productivity though, I guess they were afraid of religious intolerance claims. The most ridiculous part of this fasting tradition? Only the women were called to do it, men were exempt.

Eeew... the smell of curry can be strong even post-shower, so I can't imagine after 3-4 days. Just take some vacation time if you're going to be worthless and smelly!

Job offer for a job I want!

Going to spend the evening going over the compensation package but the $$'s are good and it is a healthy raise over my current situation. It will probably be a 2nd shift position but I am OK with it. It didn't sound like it would be long term.

Going to spend the evening going over the compensation package but the $$'s are good and it is a healthy raise over my current situation. It will probably be a 2nd shift position but I am OK with it. It didn't sound like it would be long term.

Hooray for Weave!!

Very cool.

Congrats!!