Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

I don't think anyone disagrees with that statement. My point is, I don't think him doing so would constitute a "surprise."

I don't know, I would be pleasantly surprised if Stafford plays well in the playoffs. He has the size, strength and skill to be a factor but I'm not sold on his desire.

Briere has a chip on his shoulder when he plays against the Sabres.

His stats

Since not being re-signed:

10gp 5-7-12.

I fully expect him to have 2-3 goals and 6-7 assists over 6 games. That in itself won't be enough for the Phlyers to win this series.

interesting take. briere's been a 1.2 per game player against us since 2007 (with some streakiness); you're calling for him to up the ante in a considerable fashion. i can see it happening -- the guy is clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdpJM0uCBDY

i will say this: if briere finishes the series with 1.5 per game, i don't like our chances. at all.

Anyone else think it's ominous that we're the 7th seed?

nice catch -- even if someone else beat you to it. (i missed that thread as well.)

I'm gonna go Off-Topic here and let everyone know that the game day/series discussion thread on the Flyers forums has just reached 3 whole pages compared to our 20....

Congrats Broad Street Losers!

Yeah, but ours is mostly about DeLuca ;)

:clapping:

How big would it be if the Sabres take a game in Philly and Miller isn't the star? This team is in the playoffs because of contributions from some surprise sources and I include Stafford in that group. It would go a long way if one of those players stepped up early in the series like Gerbe did against Montreal.

Good call. It will take more than one guy though.

Nice point. People need to move on. Stop calling out other posters.

I don't care if your negative or he's positive.

This series is gonna be great.

Amen.

Testify!

There really has been far too much "I told you so, you negative so-and-so" around here.

First off this is why I think the sabres can go far in the playoffs this time around. If Gerbe gets no where, we have vanek, then stafford, pommers, ect we have a great deal of players that have scored important goals this year and we are a team. "Why do all star teams fail? Because they rely solely on talent alone."

Our defense has shut down some great opponents and with hard work, we can keep even briere to the outside. I expect the sabres to concentrate on stopping phillys high powered offense in its tracks. It will be a true test of our young stars.

When did this happen? The Sabres' team defense has been shaky all year.

This series is going to come down to (i) Philly's deep and talented group of forwards versus the Sabres' team defense and goaltending and (ii) special teams.

IMO, Stafford needs to backup the regular season with a solid playoffs.

Absolutely.

How big would it be if the Sabres take a game in Philly and Miller isn't the star? This team is in the playoffs because of contributions from some surprise sources and I include Stafford in that group. It would go a long way if one of those players stepped up early in the series like Gerbe did against Montreal.

Expect that to happen.

Miller will be great (hopefully), but he doesnt snipe 3 goals a night.

That is the job of our top Forwards, they need to step up and put up points on the board.

I don't see that at all. I expect Briere to be a 1.5 ppg player during this series. However, I don't see that on it's own being enough to get the Phlyers past the Sabres.

Briere cant have that average if we want a chance.

This Philly team has depth...if Briere has 1.5 avg, that means a goal and half assist a game...so lets round up to 1 assist.

Thats 1 goal and 1 assist, which calculates to two goals MINIMUM.

Sometimes, playoff games are really low scoring and two goals wins it...

I'm gonna go Off-Topic here and let everyone know that the game day/series discussion thread on the Flyers forums has just reached 3 whole pages compared to our 20....

Congrats Broad Street Losers Beavers!

Fixed ;)

Expect that to happen.

Miller will be great (hopefully), but he doesnt snipe 3 goals a night.

That is the job of our top Forwards, they need to step up and put up points on the board.

This Philly team has depth...if Briere has 1.5 avg, that means a goal and half assist a game...so lets round up to 1 assist.

???? no that means three points every two games... averages dont just round up like that

Wouldn't that mean he has a 2.0 avg? 1.5 means he gets 1 in half the games and 2 in the other half (or 3 and 0, or 4 and several 0's, ...) Still would have trouble if he's at 1.5, but we would be in big trouble if he's at 2.0. ;)

Edit: cvanvol beat me to it.

Sorry about the constant updates on Pronger but I TRULY think he is the key to their series. Good news here.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362000

I don't think Pronger is that big a deal, sure he's a good player, if not great, but the key to this series for the Sabres is going to be to shut down Briere and Hartnell, those guys are the ones that kill us everytime.

I don't think Pronger is that big a deal, sure he's a good player, if not great, but the key to this series for the Sabres is going to be to shut down Briere and Hartnell, those guys are the ones that kill us everytime.

Pronger is the key to this team sure briere had an amazing playoffs last year which overshadowed what pronger was doing slightly but he played the most minutes of any other player in the NHL and he is a horse out there.

If we want Ennis and Gerbe to be flying around in the Philly zone, trust me, this is VERY good news that Pronger will most likely miss the first two in Philly....

In terms of rooting interests for the other East series, keep in mind that, should the Sabres advance to the 2nd round, they would play the Caps if they beat the Rangers.

If the Caps lose, the Sabres would play the Habs if they beat Boston. If the Caps/Habs lose, the Sabres would play the Pens-Lightning winner. The Sabres cannot play Boston or the Rangers in the 2nd round.

* This is for rooting interest only and is not a "jinx", just something to keep in mind as you watch the other East first round games.

???? no that means three points every two games... averages dont just round up like that

Wouldn't that mean he has a 2.0 avg? 1.5 means he gets 1 in half the games and 2 in the other half (or 3 and 0, or 4 and several 0's, ...) Still would have trouble if he's at 1.5, but we would be in big trouble if he's at 2.0. ;)Edit: cvanvol beat me to it.

Apologies my math isnt perfect lol but (as bolded) my point is, that we'd ahve trouble none the less...

In terms of rooting interests for the other East series, keep in mind that, should the Sabres advance to the 2nd round, they would play the Caps if they beat the Rangers.

If the Caps lose, the Sabres would play the Habs if they beat Boston. If the Caps/Habs lose, the Sabres would play the Pens-Lightning winner. The Sabres cannot play Boston or the Rangers in the 2nd round.

* This is for rooting interest only and is not a "jinx", just something to keep in mind as you watch the other East first round games.

Good point but I'll do as the players do and not look beyond the first game. :nana:

Why would you round UP to 2 ppg? In a 6 game series that is 3 extra goals you are giving the Phlyers.

1.5 ppg is 9 pts over 6 games. I'd be very surprised if the Sabres sweep the Phlyers. I'd also be very surprised if Briere doesn't have at least 2 multipoint games. If he gets 1-1-2 in 1 of their wins and 1-2-3 in the other; that leaves him getting 4 pts over the other 4 games that I expect the Sabres to win to hit the 1.5 ppg.

I don't see the Sabres completely shutting down the Phlyers, so in their 2-3 goals per losing game it seems very realistic that he'd be part of the scoring on 1 of them. If he misses the 1.5 ppg, that's great; but I don't see him being less than 1 ppg. As mentioned in an earlier post, I expect the Sabres can win even if Danny is strong this series.

Sorry about the constant updates on Pronger but I TRULY think he is the key to their series. Good news here.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362000

Don't be sorry Pronger is a huge deal and the constant updates are welcomed.

In my opinion, this puts alot of pressure on the Sabres to atleast split the first two, if not steal them both. If we can come back home up 2-0 they may try rushing Pronger back which could lead to ineffectiveness or further injury. If we go down early though, it'll be tough getting back into it knowing they'll just rest Pronger. He will be a stronger force if he waits until late in the series to return and if we get in a hole early, they will have that luxury.

Well, 35 hours and counting, I'm feeling a nice calm before the storm right now.

I have to point out that d4rksabre putting that playoff beard on his avatar is priceless!!

Thanks! I thought it'd be fun to have a playoff avatar. :beer:

When did this happen? The Sabres' team defense has been shaky all year.

Absolutely.

Down the stretch we shut down Montreal, Rangers, Carolina, NJ, and TB. I think we have a shot. Those games Enroth played for the most part our DEF were really strong and they had to make us all hope for the future. I am not saying they will but I think they have the potential to lock down during the playoffs... but they need to be physical. I would love to see Myers play with weber... that would be a nasty pairing if myers would beat on someone... although when he dropped the gloves on lacavlier I had high hopes... To clarify when I say shutdown I mean allow no more than 2 goals. I think our def and miller can keep anytime to 2 goals or less if they play hard.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362004 check out TSN's take on the "lower seeds"

Well, 35 hours and counting, I'm feeling a nice calm before the storm right now.

I have to point out that d4rksabre putting that playoff beard on his avatar is priceless!!

It's his best Lemmy Kilmister impression.

Thanks! I thought it'd be fun to have a playoff avatar. :beer:

+1 but not superstitious, of course when they win the beard will then need to grow with each succeeding round. :thumbsup:

This is straight up wins and losses for the year to give everyone a good idea of how this team has done month to month going into the playoffs.

Oct: 3-9

Nov: 6-7

Dec: 6-6

Jan: 8-4

Feb: 6-6

March: 10-6

April: 4-1

So looking at that tells me that 1) we could beat the flyers 2) Derek Roy's return will do nothing but help 3) Pegula's ownership may not be a sole reason for them doing better but they started to dip again in February and BAM! he reignited them.

If we can't beat Philly with a healthy Pronger then we don't deserve to advance anyway IMO.

I'll take any win over any team with any number of key injuries. I mean, really,.. who the f### cares? Attrition is just as big a factor as talent. The playoffs are about winning and losing, they are not about who the better team is.

Archived