Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

If we can't beat Philly with a healthy Pronger then we don't deserve to advance anyway IMO.

And if Philly cant beat us without an injured Pronger then they dont deserve to advance anyways either.

Did we deserve to advance last year? No, just cuz vanek goes we suddenly stink... we had no business moving forward because we need to mature and getting an early exit def helped that. The 05-07 teams made our core guys think the playoffs were a walk in the park because they did not carry the load now they know better and our young guys are learning early that hockey is hard!

My thoughts on the series:

1. The playoff clinching game of Buffalo vs Flyers is all you need to know about the series. Both of these teams played all out to win. That was game one of eight between these two teams. That game is exactly what the others will look like. Exactly.

2. Philly is plenty deep at Defense with/without Pronger. They'll be just fine.

3. Somebody better pay attention to Giroux. That guy is every bit as dangerous as Briere.

4. The difference between the last week's game and tomorrow night's game is Miller. Miller has faced a ton of odd man rushes, break aways, etc this year and usually comes up big.

5. Hopefully Buffalo is pretty cognizant of Philly's pressure on the PK and works to cycle the puck down low vice up at the blueline. Philly will take every chance to steal the puck and the game. I would hope that Buffalo is game planning for that over aggressiveness.

6. Buffalo has an advantage in Blue Line Scoring. That could really end up being the difference in the series; how many goals their Forwards gets versus our Forwards and Defensemen.

7. Hartnell will run into Miller once per game.

8. Philly PP surprisingly effective against Buffalo in season series going 5-12. That has to change. Buffalo PP a normal 2-11. That has to change too.

9. Unsung hero for Philly: James Van Riemsdyke. For Buffalo: Niedermayer.. (out on a limb here... call it a hunch). These guys will chip in some big goals.

10. My guess is Philly will own the face-off dot in this one.

I'll take any win over any team with any number of key injuries. I mean, really,.. who the f### cares? Attrition is just as big a factor as talent. The playoffs are about winning and losing, they are not about who the better team is.

+1

1. The playoff clinching game of Buffalo vs Flyers is all you need to know about the series. Both of these teams played all out to win. That was game one of eight between these two teams. That game is exactly what the others will look like. Exactly.

3. Somebody better pay attention to Giroux. That guy is every bit as dangerous as Briere.

4. The difference between the last week's game and tomorrow night's game is Miller. Miller has faced a ton of odd man rushes, break aways, etc this year and usually comes up big.

5. Hopefully Buffalo is pretty cognizant of Philly's pressure on the PK and works to cycle the puck down low vice up at the blueline. Philly will take every chance to steal the puck and the game. I would hope that Buffalo is game planning for that over aggressiveness.

6. Buffalo has an advantage in Blue Line Scoring. That could really end up being the difference in the series; how many goals their Forwards gets versus our Forwards and Defensemen.

8. Philly PP surprising effective against Buffalo in season series going 5-12. That has to change. Buffalo PP a normal 2-11. That has to change too.

9. Unsung hero for Philly: James Van Riemsdyke. For Buffalo: Niedermeyer.. (out on a limb here... call it a hunch). These guys will chip in some big goals.

Pretty solid analysis. I'd add Cody as an unsung that'll provide some momentum swings (not just goals).

I'll take any win over any team with any number of key injuries. I mean, really,.. who the f### cares? Attrition is just as big a factor as talent. The playoffs are about winning and losing, they are not about who the better team is.

Stop it. Injuries can NEVER be used as an excuse, we should expect teams to not miss a beat with an AHL defense! <_< Seriously, the only people for whom it is taboo to use injuries as an excuse for losing are the players and coaching staff, and that is how it should be, at least publicly anyway. But for us fans , media and other outside observers it most certainly can be used as as a way to view how a game or series may have gone differently.

8. Philly PP surprising effective against Buffalo in season series going 5-12. That has to change. Buffalo PP a normal 2-11. That has to change too.

9. Unsung hero for Philly: James Van Riemsdyke. For Buffalo: Niedermeyer.. (out on a limb here... call it a hunch). These guys will chip in some big goals.

Great analysis. Although choosing Nieds as the unsung hero may be more than 'out on a limb'. I feel like Gaustad has been playing well and he's the type of guy to finish all his checks and provide a physical edge that we need in the series. I'm hoping he can fill the roll of unsung hero.

This is straight up wins and losses for the year to give everyone a good idea of how this team has done month to month going into the playoffs.

Oct: 3-9

Nov: 6-7

Dec: 6-6

Jan: 8-4

Feb: 6-6

March: 10-6

April: 4-1

So looking at that tells me that 1) we could beat the flyers 2) Derek Roy's return will do nothing but help 3) Pegula's ownership may not be a sole reason for them doing better but they started to dip again in February and BAM! he reignited them.

How exactly do those numbers support this point?

good post.

Stop it. Injuries can NEVER be used as an excuse, we should expect teams to not miss a beat with an AHL defense! <_< Seriously, the only people for whom it is taboo to use injuries as an excuse for losing are the players and coaching staff, and that is how it should be, at least publicly anyway. But for us fans , media and other outside observers it most certainly can be used as as a way to view how a game or series may have gone differently.

For the two quotes above and I hate that I have to say this "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile winnings winning."

How exactly do those numbers support this point?good post.

I think it shows that the team was already starting to even out when Roy got hurt. They were not suddenly better for having Roy injured was the main point.

It's his best Lemmy Kilmister impression.

Wrong. THIS is my best Lemmy impression.

post-1361-099851500 1302709483_thumb.jpg

That was spring of 2006. I shaved it before the playoffs. I think I shouldn't have. I've never been dedicated enough since then to do it again. Mainly because it required growing a disgusting beard first. :sick:

This was the Frozen Four last year though. I started those bad boys in February.

post-1361-003243800 1302710033_thumb.jpg

Today, I wanna talk about our defense. The best defense is an offense.

And the best offense is a defense. The reason why offense is the best defense is because in hockey, the team that scores the most, wins. And if our offense outscores their offense, they’ll be defenseless. Their defense might be able to stop our offense, but it can’t stop our defense. Because when we’re on defense they have to be on offense. And if we have an offensive minded defense, there is no way they can defend us.

Now I don’t mean to be defensive, but some of you might find this offensive. We’re going to call our defense our offense and our offense our defense. That way we’ll remember to use our defense as an offense and our offense as a defense against their offense. And that’ll totally confuse them.

Okay. Let play some hockey!

I think it shows that the team was already starting to even out when Roy got hurt. They were not suddenly better for having Roy injured was the main point.

I agree. Maybe other players felt the need to up their effort once Roy got injured, but that in no way suggests his return would hurt the team. Give me Roy over Ellis/Mancari/Neids in there.

And the best offense is a defense. The reason why offense is the best defense is because in hockey, the team that scores the most, wins. And if our offense outscores their offense, they’ll be defenseless. Their defense might be able to stop our offense, but it can’t stop our defense. Because when we’re on defense they have to be on offense. And if we have an offensive minded defense, there is no way they can defend us.

Now I don’t mean to be defensive, but some of you might find this offensive. We’re going to call our defense our offense and our offense our defense. That way we’ll remember to use our defense as an offense and our offense as a defense against their offense. And that’ll totally confuse them.

Wasn't that from some commercial a while back? And wasn't there a series of these commercials? Good stuff haha!

EDIT: Found them: http://jznole.blogspot.com/2008/03/nhl-network-commercials.html

ESPN Predictions:

Matthew Barnaby: Sabres in 7

John Buccigross: Sabres in 7

Scott Burnside: Flyers in 5

Linda Cohn: Sabres in 6

E.J. Hradek: Sabres in 6

Pierre LeBrun: Sabres in 7

Steve Levy: Sabres in 7

Barry Melrose: Flyers in 6

:beer:

And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

This is straight up wins and losses for the year to give everyone a good idea of how this team has done month to month going into the playoffs.

Oct: 3-9

Nov: 6-7

Dec: 6-6

Jan: 8-4

Feb: 6-6

March: 10-6

April: 4-1

So looking at that tells me that 1) we could beat the flyers 2) Derek Roy's return will do nothing but help 3) Pegula's ownership may not be a sole reason for them doing better but they started to dip again in February and BAM! he reignited them.

I agree. Maybe other players felt the need to up their effort once Roy got injured, but that in no way suggests his return would hurt the team. Give me Roy over Ellis/Mancari/Neids in there.

Well, they were 6-7 in November and 5-5 in December with Roy. They had lost 4 out of their last 6. That's essentially zero improvement. Then, as soon as he got hurt, they went 8-4. How is that not sudden improvement?

You can promote theories about the rest of the guys stepping up, and about how getting him back at this stage would add another offensive piece to the mix, all you like, but facts is facts. They improved suddenly, and dramatically, as soon as he left the lineup.

Well, they were 6-7 in November and 5-5 in December with Roy. They had lost 4 out of their last 6. That's essentially zero improvement. Then, as soon as he got hurt, they went 8-4. How is that not sudden improvement?

You can promote theories about the rest of the guys stepping up, and about how getting him back at this stage would add another offensive piece to the mix, all you like, but facts is facts. They improved suddenly, and dramatically, as soon as he left the lineup.

I guess I cant buy into the theory that Roy's leaving the locker room let everyone play better. It doesnt matter we might not see roy until next season or ever if its true what your proposing then I would imagine he gets traded in the offseason

I guess I cant buy into the theory that Roy's leaving the locker room let everyone play better. It doesnt matter we might not see roy until next season or ever if its true what your proposing then I would imagine he gets traded in the offseason

I don't expect him to be traded this summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is. (I also wouldn't be unhappy, since presumably they would be getting a very good player in return.)

Wrong. THIS is my best Lemmy impression.

post-1361-099851500 1302709483_thumb.jpg

That was spring of 2006. I shaved it before the playoffs. I think I shouldn't have. I've never been dedicated enough since then to do it again. Mainly because it required growing a disgusting beard first. :sick:

This was the Frozen Four last year though. I started those bad boys in February.

post-1361-003243800 1302710033_thumb.jpg

Of course, you should know that I meant it in good, clean fun and nothing I've been sending DeLuca's way lately. Good post, though. I enjoyed it and got a chuckle out of it.

Yes, I can grow a beard, but it's not as good as, say, John Knox's beard.

Of course, you should know that I meant it in good, clean fun and nothing I've been sending DeLuca's way lately. Good post, though. I enjoyed it and got a chuckle out of it.

Yes, I can grow a beard, but it's not as good as, say, John Knox's beard.

I just wish I could grow a better mustache. :(

Who will be in and who will sit out and why? I like the play of ellis, but we need kaleta back in for the intense part. Also kaleta can get the team fired up, where ellis I have not seen do that. Never know though, thats why I love the playoffs. Let's Go Buffalooooo

Who will be in and who will sit out and why? I like the play of ellis, but we need kaleta back in for the intense part. Also kaleta can get the team fired up, where ellis I have not seen do that. Never know though, thats why I love the playoffs. Let's Go Buffalooooo

According to the Buffalo News, Matt Ellis was sent back down to Portland (it's on Sabres Edge Blog).

Ellis got sent back to Portland today.

Archived