Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

I'm not even saying for the fans sake. Of course we're going to talk about stuff. I just think some of the coaches and teams get riled up about being clever....and they are only burning themselves by worrying about it. A guy like Niedermayer or Grier has played Pronger 70 times. I think they know what he's capable of.

If he's in, get the checking line out there, harass the goalie, and make Pronger scrum with you or do something stupid with his stick because he is protecting his hand. Do you think he can resist grabbing Kaleta and McCormick when they are on top of the crease? You'll learn 3 minutes in what he can do.

This is what I said.....

All good points.

Thank you.

People were acting like I was calling them out for discussing it. I'm saying the games the teams think they are playing are a waste. If you believe you are the best...you don't worry about injuries, you don't worry about refs, you don't say "I'm not scared" on the bench. You wake up Thursday morning, get on the throne and do your business, eat some beef jerky, then think about how good it's going to feel to eat Danny Briere's tongue ala Hannibal Lechter.

Thank you.

People were acting like I was calling them out for discussing it. I'm saying the games the teams think they are playing are a waste. If you believe you are the best...you don't worry about injuries, you don't worry about refs, you don't say "I'm not scared" on the bench. You wake up Thursday morning, get on the throne and do your business, eat some beef jerky, then think about how good it's going to feel to eat Danny Briere's tongue ala Hannibal Lechter.

Agreed with the above, but also, it would be nicer if Pronger wasn't in there. (Then again, let him dress for a game and have Kaleta take a whack at his hand in the first period, and force them to play with a short bench for that game. I wouldn't normally advocate this, but it is the Flyers; live by the dirty, die by the dirty, you know?)

Agreed with the above, but also, it would be nicer if Pronger wasn't in there. (Then again, let him dress for a game and have Kaleta take a whack at his hand in the first period, and force them to play with a short bench for that game. I wouldn't normally advocate this, but it is the Flyers; live by the dirty, die by the dirty, you know?)

You don't have to be dirty. Just drive him nuts and make him jump in a scrum. Grab the hand and make him say uncle. It can be an even better distraction if he is in there.

I'm not even saying for the fans sake. Of course we're going to talk about stuff. I just think some of the coaches and teams get riled up about being clever....and they are only burning themselves by worrying about it. A guy like Niedermayer or Grier has played Pronger 70 times. I think they know what he's capable of.

If he's in, get the checking line out there, harass the goalie, and make Pronger scrum with you or do something stupid with his stick because he is protecting his hand. Do you think he can resist grabbing Kaleta and McCormick when they are on top of the crease? You'll learn 3 minutes in what he can do.

Or better yet, wait till Pronger has to play on the PK with Vanek in front of his net . He will not be able to resist starting the Hack Me game with Thomas. It is his game. Once it starts Thomas gives him as good as he gets. Vanek has spent half a lifetime with his stick on or bouncing off Prongers gloves on the pp.

Here's some pretty encouraging post-lockout EC playoff data: (link-o-rama)

It is evident that teams that struggle right before the playoffs have had very little success in making deep postseason runs. Only 33% of teams have advanced past the first round and only one team has reached the conference championship.

Since 2005-2006, nine teams have entered the Eastern Conference playoffs with a sub-500% winning percentage in March and April. With the exception of the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers, none of those teams have advanced to the second round.

the Philadelphia Flyers will be entering the playoffs with the single worst winning percentage in March and April since the post-lock out NHL.

The common bond between the 2010 and 2011 Philadelphia Flyers is that they have history against them. The Flyers weak performance in March and April is unprecedented by a team seeded in the top-four. In addition, the Flyers had a five game losing streak prior to snapping the streak on the final game of the season. The 2006 Ottawa Senators were the number one seed and lost seven games prior to winning their season finale. The Senators advanced past the first round, but they faced a Lightning team that also had a losing streak. The Senators were eventually beaten in the second round. Teams that brought any kind of losing streak into the playoffs were eliminated in the first round 67% of the time.

On the other hand:

The Flyers also have a few things in their favor. The second seed has advanced to the second round 80% of the time. In addition, the two teams tied their season series and in the past, 67% of those series were won by the higher seeded team. In instances were the three-vs-six match-up were omitted, the higher seeded team advanced 100% of the time.

Keep hope alive!

Thank you.

It is apparent that many fans don't believe in this team as much as they will want others to believe.

You know what, I was going to go and try to explain why I think your POV is wrong but I won't waste the energy. I'll leave it at, there are 3 basic types of fans on this site, optimists, pessimists, and middle of the road types. But the one thing they have in common is that they are all fans. Yes, they ALL are.

But notice that the negative ones haven't made a habit out of calling out and bitching about the positive ones. And yes, the super positive ones are every bit as annoying as the super negative ones.

Negative, positive it's all a matter of perspective. Why is suggesting that the Sabres can improve overall by moving Miller considered being "negative." Shouldn't discussing ways to improve the team be considered a "positive?" The only real "negative" about my posts are the responses they get from the same band of posters who never have anything to actually say other than declaring me "negative." When is the last time PTR, Dr. Holiday or Crosschecking actually contributed to the overall hockey discussions other than Shrader-esq attempts at one-liners? The only negative on this board is the fear of actual hockey discussion that seems to be growing.

Thank you.

Seems to me if we all thought, talked and acted the same this board and life in general would be pretty booring and if you all looked like me then that would be down right scary. :unsure:

Viva la difference.

It is apparent that many fans don't believe in this team as much as they will want others to believe.

It is apparent that some fans would rather justify their "Chicken Little" predictions than see the team win.

If a team cant win with one guy out aka Pronger, than they dont deserve to win at all. We have had roy half the season and we arent whining about that. This team has the ability to destroy Philly and I think they will do it. Everyone says that winstreaks going into the playoffs dont matter but I bet some philly players are saying geez we could have been better down the stretch... Sabres players are pumped on confidence and so I think as long as we win game 1 or 2 we can defeat the flyers

Tpegs is right Winning is a belief.

Archived