Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

I wonder if they will be selling beer at the events? That had been an issue in the past.

When I exit the Arena, I come out right below the connector between the ramp and the Arena. Past "Party in the Plaza" crowds resembled a teen dance. I'm not talking about the folks who are out there pre-game. Most of those people are going into the game.

You can get the same atmosphere at a crowded bar, but without the teens. :thumbsup:

Obviously they are all up because the team played better. That was not nor has been nor will be my point. I was originally saying the return of Roy would help us.

We are crossing telephone lines here, my fault. I disagree, leave him where he is. Most of us can agree that the team performed better with him out... A little less, me, me, me and shoot at any cost turned out to be a good thing for the Sabres along with the new lines and chemistry that resulted from the post Roy shuffle. Time after time he passed up open players with better scoring chances to shoot. It is just his style and i am ok with the Derek Roy style on a two or three line.

Roy disappeared in the Boston series two years ago so i am not as motivated to see him do it again against another physical team. Some would argue that you never mess with what works. I agree. Lets leave him where he is.The injuries to Grier , Hecht, Kaleta, Sekerra, and Miller had some positive outcomes too.

To bring Roy back now given the nature of his injury, being polite here, would be less than smart and unecessary. We are not talking broken fingers . Give Roy the year off. He deserves the best recovery possible Lets watch him next year.

To bring Roy back now given the nature of his injury, being polite here, would be less than smart and unecessary. We are not talking broken fingers . Give Roy the year off. He deserves the best recovery possible Lets watch him next year.

Sorry, I just can't buy this. There's a difference between causation and correlation. Roy did not cause this team to stink in the first half of the season, and the Sabres may well have finished with a few more points in the standings if he had been in the lineup all season long.

It seems like a long time ago that this team was playing like garbage in the first half of the season, but Roy was one of the few players that was worth watching at that point. He was the biggest offensive threat on the team picking up 35 points in 35 games. His shots/game average is in line with the other top Sabre forwards so it's not like he was a puck hog.

There were a lot of factors that went into the team getting off to a bad start - Myers starting in a big slump, Miller not playing lights out, guys like Gerbe not getting it done - that you can't blame Roy for. Maybe Roy's injury put more pressure on others to step up their games to fill his shoes, but I don't see those who have stepped up over the past few months saying to themselves it's time to revert back to their November-level of play if/when Roy returns.

Sorry, I just can't buy this. There's a difference between causation and correlation. Roy did not cause this team to stink in the first half of the season, and the Sabres may well have finished with a few more points in the standings if he had been in the lineup all season long.

It seems like a long time ago that this team was playing like garbage in the first half of the season, but Roy was one of the few players that was worth watching at that point. He was the biggest offensive threat on the team picking up 35 points in 35 games. His shots/game average is in line with the other top Sabre forwards so it's not like he was a puck hog.

There were a lot of factors that went into the team getting off to a bad start - Myers starting in a big slump, Miller not playing lights out, guys like Gerbe not getting it done - that you can't blame Roy for. Maybe Roy's injury put more pressure on others to step up their games to fill his shoes, but I don't see those who have stepped up over the past few months saying to themselves it's time to revert back to their November-level of play if/when Roy returns.

Never said: 1.He caused the team to stink,or 2. the team would revert to it's first half woes. I do agree with you that he was a first half bright spot and i will miss him on the PK, but i would not mess with the team chemistry right now. Thats the point. All the lines are scoring. Besides, Philly is a physical team, as was Boston two years ago, he disappeared in that series after getting banged around a bit and he was healthy then. Too big of a risk to play him this year given his injury. He would have to be tentative. I did say that. Unlike you, i do not think Tyler is out of his slump. When he has to deal with a team that has an aggressive forecheck he is very slow making outlet pass decisions which leads to him coughing up the puck up a ton . He lost the disc multiple times in the Philly game but never had to pay. He did miss his assignmnet once or twice , I think one resulted in a goal.He is doing better in the second half. We can talk about his pp acumen latter. He is young and gifted . He will mature and learn , hopefully. He is not half of a number one pair yet but he is a keeper. Lindy should be carefull with him on the pp, he does not belong on the Vanek pp line, especially against a team with good short handed numbers that can pressure the puck on the pk.

Myself personally, I would love to see Roy back in the lineup :thumbsup:

home team is so far 3 for 3 tonight and vancouver has a 2-0 lead but nashville is currently up by 1. So thats interesting to note for tomorrow as we will be the away team.

this is an edit: home teams go 4 for 5 on the night meaning top seeds are doing well. the 1 loser was anaheim which was only ranked higher than nashville due to tiebreakers aka a 5 beat a 4, so the sabres need to be an exception and fight hard tomorrow!

You know what'd be cool? A Buffalo-Vancouver Stanley Cup. Both 1970 expansion teams playing for the big one? Would be a lot of fun.

Miller needs to redeem himself for what happened in the Olympics... What better place to do it than against Vancouver...

Miller needs to redeem himself for what happened in the Olympics... What better place to do it than against Vancouver...

That'd be a good goalie matchup story too. Two elite goaltenders who have taken their teams to the playoffs 4 times since the lockout and come up short each time.

You know what'd be cool? A Buffalo-Vancouver Stanley Cup. Both 1970 expansion teams playing for the big one? Would be a lot of fun.

A good friend of mine spent many of his years in Vancouver and is a huge Canucks fan. I got him to go to a Sabres at Devils game with me while living in NYC and he was an instant fan. We were always chatting about being 1970's brothers. At one point the conversation came up of "what happens if our teams meet in the cup final" we both immediately agreed we would have to kill the other. I didn't know we were predicting this years Stanley cup match-up :thumbsup:

Archived