Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

I don't think a new owner would bring that much immediate change.

Most players in the league have guaranteed contracts.

I think if you took the top 40 players in the league, probably 35 are with their original teams.

People hate to hear it, but it is the draft that has become king under this CBA.

XB, I almost always agree with your astute posts, but I can't do so this time.

Top 40 players not with their original teams:

Pronger

Chara

Byfuglien

Boyle

Gaborik

Kovalchuk

Luongo

Bryzgalov

Vokoun

Kiprusoff

Thornton

Heatley

Brad Richards

Hossa

Now, I will freely admit that quite a few of these are debatable, and that even if the ratio is more like 30 out of 40, your point is still valid. But this board is all about petty argument.

"I'll get out when Tom gets out," Larry Quinn told Channel 4. That's big news.

http://www.wivb.com/...ys-no-offer-yet

Well, that is a major development.

I take this to mean Quinn already knows Pegula doesn't want him. Pegula is obviously a better judge of character than TG.

I agree, and I think it also means -- as we've previously thought -- that TG has the right to force LQ to sell his interest in this deal. I'd expect that Pegula has made it clear that he wants to buy 100%, and thus that TG has told LQ that LQ is going to have to sell.

From todays Buffalo News;

NHL and other sources continued to maintain Wednesday that Pegula is continuing his effort to buy the Sabres. Others within the Sabres organization believed that the media has misled people into thinking a deal has been completed or is near completion. A report out of Canada saying Pegula would be introduced at the NHL Board of Governors meetings next week appears to be unfounded.

Sounds like maybe the media jumped the gun a little. Hopefully it doesn't hurt negotiations.

"I'll get out when Tom gets out," Larry Quinn told Channel 4. That's big news.http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/quinn-says-no-offer-yet

Wowie Housley, That is great news.

However after 30 years of following Buffalo sports I have to pull my typical Buffalo fan response and say "This seems to good to be true".

I need to not get too caught up in the hype and hope or I'm afraid of another heartbreak.

On a side note I do not know how this could not be distracting to the player's as I bet a few of them would welcome and like to see this change as well.

Not necessarily - i think it stays listed as active on the site until they get some sort of formal notification to change it. You think there is someone in the Department of State cross referencing active partnerships against those who have paid their fees or filed returns? Legends of the state's attention to detail are grossly overstated.

for whatever reason, i am more familiar with this issue in re: florida and delaware -- if your chartered business entity doesn't pay up, it is automatically and "administratively" dissolved/rendered inactive by the state. i should think that the new york is the same -- albany may not be great with the details, but they do tend to focus when there's a taxpayer's money at stake.

Sounds like maybe the media jumped the gun a little. Hopefully it doesn't hurt negotiations.

Yet the school girl squeals of our fellow posters can still be heard. Everyone just needs to settle the ###### down. Nothing, I repeat, nothing is imminent other than the collassall melt down that will be Sabrespace if and when this doesn't happen.

Yet the school girl squeals of our fellow posters can still be heard. Everyone just needs to settle the ###### down. Nothing, I repeat, nothing is imminent other than the collassall melt down that will be Sabrespace if and when this doesn't happen.

Even though I actually have some faith that this deal may actually go through, I'm tempering my expectations. I always remember that I live in Buffalo.

Isn't it a little early to be donning our Grinch outfits? Come on, man. It's happening. The cat's out of the bag. If it was a negotiating ploy by the Pegula people, good for them. Golisano can't say no thanks now. The people have had a taste of freedom. It would be like telling those folks in Germany to stop tearing down that wall.

I wonder if what will happen to the Bandits? Will TG sell them too? Included in the package?

Good question. I am also wondering who pays for maintenance/upgrades to the Arena? The city/county own the Arena, but it is "operated" by OSP.

Is OSP, the city or county required to spend x number of dollars per year on maintenance/upgrades to the Arena?

Isn't it a little early to be donning our Grinch outfits? Come on, man. It's happening. The cat's out of the bag. If it was a negotiating ploy by the Pegula people, good for them. Golisano can't say no thanks now. The people have had a taste of freedom. It would be like telling those folks in Germany to stop tearing down that wall.

Dramatics aside... This is a time for hope and celebration. Those who wish to soak themselves in ice baths and eat bland rice all day are missing out on the excitement of the journey. Their loss.

Of course, the Chinese and the Iranians were able to quell their revolts pretty easily. All it takes is a willing to kill as many people disappoint as many fans as needed.

Dramatics aside... This is a time for hope and celebration. Those who wish to soak themselves in ice baths and eat bland rice all day are missing out on the excitement of the journey. Their loss.

I'd go w/ the bolded above and put the champagne (Labatt's Blue?) on ice but wouldn't be popping the cork just yet. (Although I might just have to crack a cold one, just because. :beer: )

there's a way in which pulling back from the earnest hope and excitement that (1) this deal is going through and (2) pegula will be the cup-committed owner for whom many have pined is akin to watching a very meaningful sabres game, with the issue in doubt, and pulling one of those "you know what? funk it, i don't really care whether they win or lose -- i'm not going to have my day/week ruined if this thing doesn't turn out well -- maybe i'll surf the internet while the game plays in the background, or maybe i'll walk the dog and check the score on my phone ..."

nothing ventured, nothing gained.

better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

et cetera et cetera et cetera.

post-760-091680800 1291304796_thumb.jpg

there's a way in which pulling back from the earnest hope and excitement that (1) this deal is going through and (2) pegula will be the cup-committed owner for whom many have pined is akin to watching a very meaningful sabres game, with the issue in doubt, and pulling one of those "you know what? funk it, i don't really care whether they win or lose -- i'm not going to have my day/week ruined if this thing doesn't turn out well -- maybe i'll surf the internet while the game plays in the background, or maybe i'll walk the dog and check the score on my phone ..."

nothing ventured, nothing gained.

better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

et cetera et cetera et cetera.

Brynner 3.jpg

If people want to be guarded/detached during what could turn out to be one of the most significant events in Buffalo Sports history - then I maintain it is their loss.

If people want to be guarded/detached during what could turn out to be one of the most significant events in Buffalo Sports history - then I maintain it is their loss.

Indeed it will be my loss if all that everyone hopes for comes to fruition. My true colors may be showing. Perhaps PA should pass me the reins of SS resident grump. Not so long ago we were fellow grumps-in-arms.

This inherent negativity is probably why I'm divorced, and miserable most of the time. It is what is and I am what I am. (inkman the grumpy Sabrespace man) sorry, couldn't resist the popeye reference

I'd rather think of it as cautious optimism.

Optimism because it's looking pretty damn good right now.

Cautious because we're Buffalo fans.

Indeed it will be my loss if all that everyone hopes for comes to fruition. My true colors may be showing. Perhaps PA should pass me the reins of SS resident grump. Not so long ago we were fellow grumps-in-arms.

This inherent negativity is probably why I'm divorced, and miserable most of the time. It is what is and I am what I am. (inkman the grumpy Sabrespace man) sorry, couldn't resist the popeye reference

It's happening my man, it IS happening. The wait is over and everything good that comes along with it will be rejoiced by Sabres fans worldwide. The reason I believe this is because it is in the final stages. These things take a loooong time and if people are saying this could be done by January,the hard part is over. Let yourself believe it and indulge in the Christmas season! Now, if we could only go back to the royal blue unis...i kid, i kid - not really.

I don't even mind shoveling 3 feet of snow I am in such a good mood.

This almost has to be a done deal. I haven't been gloom and doom because I want to be all these years....I just want a team with no BS that will take their best shot. If you try your best and show you have a clue, yet fall short....I will support you in full.

Again...this guy is real money and sounds like he could be any one of us. His befuddlement by current management's roster moves is a promising tidbit. This is about as white of a knight you can find.

Hockey is about to get fun again!

Of course there's a chance that it doesn't go through, but where there's smoke, there's fire. This guy's name wouldn't be out there all over the place if he wasn't in serious talks.

Of course there's a chance that it doesn't go through, but where there's smoke, there's fire. This guy's name wouldn't be out there all over the place if he wasn't in serious talks.

Remember the rich guy who was all but ready to sign a deal for the sarbes before TG did? His name was everywhere and he had plenty of $$. Didnt pan out.

Remember the rich guy who was all but ready to sign a deal for the sarbes before TG did? His name was everywhere and he had plenty of $$. Didnt pan out.

Do you mean Hamister? That one was in the late stages of the purchase process too. The big difference then though is that it was widespread public knowledge that the team was for sale, thanks to the whole bankrupcy. There were a lot of names hovering around back there. Oh, and the big thing with him was that he in fact did not have plenty of money.

Archived