Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

That part of Campbell's most recent story is too speculative. As is the sentence of Pegula's willingness to spend big money on free agents. And the blurb about Ruff and Regier you quoted.

A new owner, but no changes in the front office and coaching staff -- again!? Makes no sense.

If no sweeping changes were to made in the off-season after a ownership change? That would be an abrupt halt to any honeymoon period a new owner would have. The excitement of a new owner is solely based on a new owner causing the death of Status Quo. A knight in shining armor wielding a sword and killing the Cerberus that haunts the HSBC arena.

If no sweeping changes were to made in the off-season after a ownership change? That would be an abrupt halt to any honeymoon period a new owner would have. The excitement of a new owner is solely based on a new owner causing the death of Status Quo. A knight in shining armor wielding a sword and killing the Cerberus that haunts the HSBC arena.

The new owner -- unless he's a total tool like Dan Snyder in Washington -- will take his time to see what he likes and what he doesn't like. It might take weeks, or it might take months. But he's going to do it his way, We'll just have to wait and see how long it takes. But this new guy is supposed to be a hockey fan -- which means he'll change things sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

Not a big Stafford fan, but if this gets Gerbe out of the lineup, then, thank god Drew is back.

Stafford? Gerbe? If the new owner is a hockey guy as is claimed, we won't be having this argument next year! And I look forward to that.

The best part about it is that this lineup is going to be TOTALLY different with the addition of 7 million not being spent now PLUS the money being spent on Connolly, Stafford and Rivet. Two blue chippers comin' our way

I hope there is a freeze on any contract extensions right now. I would hate to see any of the $22 million of cap space available for the 2011 season wasted on Tim Connolly.

I hope there is a freeze on any contract extensions right now. I would hate to see any of the $22 million of cap space available for the 2011 season wasted on Tim Connolly.

This is interesting. I'm sure Darcy's hands are tied right now. Just wonder how long they have been.

Wow. This news is like Christmas morning when I was five years old. Oh please say it goes through, it always seems to be that Buffalo mentality that makes you fear the worst. Doesn't seem to be a bad quality about this guy. A Sabres fan, ties to the area, billionare who was referred to as a 'hockey rat'. Bring it on, Let's Go Buffalo!

The new owner -- unless he's a total tool like Dan Snyder in Washington -- will take his time to see what he likes and what he doesn't like. It might take weeks, or it might take months. But he's going to do it his way, We'll just have to wait and see how long it takes. But this new guy is supposed to be a hockey fan -- which means he'll change things sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

Remember, even if he's an "activist" owner, it doesn't necessarily mean that Darcy & Lindy are out the door; especially on day 1. Leonsis inherited McPhee when he took over the Caps and he's still there 10 or so years later. I agree w/ you that an in-season ownership transfer probably keeps several pieces in place during the year that will be reevaluated in the off-season.

If Darcy does get a new contract from a new owner (a reasonably big if but definitely not out of the realm of possibilities) and Lindy is re-signed as well, they would probably become the only GM/coach combo in a major sport to work for 4 separate ownership groups. They were hired by LQ during the Knox era, continued on through the LQ purge during the criminals' era, stayed on when LQ came back w/ TG, and would then presumably work for the (presumed) new guy. Even if their contracts aren't renewed, if an ownership change happened during the current season, I'd be surprised if either was fired on day 1, so they'd still probably be the answer to the trivia question: which major sport GM&coach worked for 4 different ownership groups w/ the same team? I'm pretty sure Milbury pulled that one off as well (they were changing owners every 18 months on the Island for a while there) but he was firing coaches with about as much regularity as the ownership changed.

This is interesting. I'm sure Darcy's hands are tied right now. Just wonder how long they have been.

Not long enough. I wish they were tied before the Connolly, Hecht, Gaustad and Pominville contracts were signed. Or tied before he could complete the Rivet trade and throw away two 2nd round picks and $10 million dollars. The question shouldn't be will Regier keep his job after the ownership job. It should be why does he have it now.

I don't know if this has been posted previously. I'm not reading through 10 pages of posts. There is a rumor that Miller may be not be long for the Sabres if this guy takes control. Apparently, Terry Pegula is the guy on the WGR Whiner Line that sings the Mr Softy songs. :thumbsup:

Remember, even if he's an "activist" owner, it doesn't necessarily mean that Darcy & Lindy are out the door; especially on day 1. Leonsis inherited McPhee when he took over the Caps and he's still there 10 or so years later. I agree w/ you that an in-season ownership transfer probably keeps several pieces in place during the year that will be reevaluated in the off-season.

If Darcy does get a new contract from a new owner (a reasonably big if) and Lindy is re-signed as well, they would probably become the only GM/coach combo in a major sport to work for 4 separate ownership groups. They were hired by LQ during the Knox era, continued on through the LQ purge during the criminals' era, stayed on when LQ came back w/ TG, and would then presumably work for the (presumed) new guy. Even if their contracts aren't renewed, if an ownership change happened during the current season, I'd be surprised if either was fired on day 1, so they'd still probably be the answer to the trivia question: which major sport GM&coach worked for 4 different ownership groups w/ the same team? I'm pretty sure Milbury pulled that one off as well (they were changing owners every 18 months on the Island for a while there) but he was firing coaches with about as much regularity as the ownership changed.

Keeping Regier/Ruff or even Quinn would be the death of any honeymoon period. I would say that it would severely damage the credibility of a new owner if he kept Status Quo in place.

Keeping Regier/Ruff or even Quinn would be the death of any honeymoon period. I would say that it would severely damage the credibility of a new owner if he kept Status Quo in place.

Depends. If Darcy is still here, but he trades away TC and something else and ends up with a true 1st line center, I don't think people would be terribly upset w/ "status quo."

I'd expect that Darcy wouldn't be back next year w/ a new owner, but I wouldn't want to have money on it either way.

Depends. If Darcy is still here, but he trades away TC and something else and ends up with a true 1st line center, I don't think people would be terribly upset w/ "status quo."

I'd expect that Darcy wouldn't be back next year w/ a new owner, but I wouldn't want to have money on it either way.

I can't see a new owner coming in, reviewing some of the contracts and then feeling comfortable enough to allow Regier to spend his money? Unless the guy pulls a Golisano and writes the check to buy the team and then disappears and has nothing to do with it.

This may just be the dream come true scenario for Larry Quinn. He can sell his shares in the Sabres and use that money to follow his true passion. He can travel the world following the owners of Bass Pro like they were the Greatful Dead. In stead of being a Dead-Head he would be a Bass-Hole :rolleyes:

This may just be the dream come true scenario for Larry Quinn. He can sell his shares in the Sabres and use that money to follow his true passion. He can travel the world following the owners of Bass Pro like they were the Greatful Grateful Dead. In stead of being a Dead-Head he would be a Bass-Hole :rolleyes:

I like that Bass-hole line.:thumbsup:

10 things you probably didn't hear about Terry Pegula today:

1. Terry's father, Myron, worked in the coal mines in the Scranton area and got upwards of $30,000 in black lung benefits. Myron gave Terry $7,500 of that money to help his son start his oil and gas company.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/09/24/pegula.aspx

2. In Carbondale, PA, the Pegulas were a poor family. Growing up, Terry always lived in a rented house.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/09/24/pegula.aspx

3. Terry never played hockey.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100920_No_cheap_skates_at_Penn_State__thanks_to_donor.html

4. At 14, Terry worked above ground in the infamous Carbondale mine fire. The fire burned for over 30 years before it was put out in the mid 60s. "They had to take all these houses out and dig big holes to put the fire out," Pegula recalled. "That was probably the start of my interest in rocks. I used to go over there and sit and watch them dig, and I got interested. I was hunting fossils and whatnot."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100920_No_cheap_skates_at_Penn_State__thanks_to_donor.html

5. Young Terry thumbed his way the 15 miles to and from Scranton Preparatory School each day. "Some days I wasn't lucky getting rides," he said.

6. Terry's daughter Jessica, 16 and a budding tennis star, was born in Buffalo. She attends high school online so she can practice tennis.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/tennis-standout-jessica-pegula-of-boca-raton-shoots-807453.html

7. The Pegulas moved to Florida in 2007. "I really appreciate everything (my parents) do for me," Jessica said. "They've given up a lot. We've moved down (here) just to give me a shot, because they believe in me."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/tennis-standout-jessica-pegula-of-boca-raton-shoots-807453.html

8. The Pegulas' home on a golf course in Boca Raton has an elevator to the second floor. The house is for sale.

http://www.estatesandfinehomesinc.com/address.php?property_ID=7

9. The couple also owns an estate in Nashville complete with a recording studio. The property was once the home of Roy Orbison and later Ronnie Milsap.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/08/penn_staters_meet_with_possibl.html

10. Terry's other favorite sport? Football. Hey now!

No self respecting GM would accept a trade involving TC

Good thing his contract is up at the end of the season.

My soul must be dead because this news barely has me uplifted. I just think after so much disappointment as a fan and in my life, I just can't bring myself to get excited about something so undefined.

Good thing his contract is up at the end of the season.

My soul must be dead because this news barely has me uplifted. I just think after so much disappointment as a fan and in my life, I just can't bring myself to get excited about something so undefined.

Not at all -- even if the deal happens, there is a very real likelihood that his ownership doesn't turn out to be any better than TG's, who, when all is said and done, has been a pretty good owner.

I don't know the details about what may be going down with Sabres ownership. If Pegula buys the Sabres, will he have complete ownership? Will Larry Quinn be out of Buffalo? If Pegula's buying the Sabres gets rid of Quinn, I'd be beyond excited.

Archived