Terry Pegula buying the Buffalo Sabres discussion

\GoBillsInDallas/

You seem very interested in fracking. Why don't you come down to Pennsylvania and I'll show you how we frack in the woods. Really, it's simple. You drill really deep, make a neat sideways move, flood the hole and pull out -- the payoff is gas being released.

Ur too young for me.

Pegs is in a buying mood.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2010/12/beacon-square-office-condos-find-buyer.html

Can one of you business gurus explain how Pegula sold his company over the summer but still remains on the board and is buying office space for its relocation?

he could have sold the company, but been left on to act as an adviser or executive and collect a salary. that's what my old boss did. sold the company, but the person who bought it knew that he was more knowledgeable about how it was run, so he, in effect, hired him to act as COO.

he could have sold the company, but been left on to act as an adviser or executive and collect a salary. that's what my old boss did. sold the company, but the person who bought it knew that he was more knowledgeable about how it was run, so he, in effect, hired him to act as COO.

Yeah....and I think he still owns a bunch of land.

The group I worked for took over a public company, and one of the sticking points was that the current board still draw a "consulting fee" going forward. So it was great to fly 1500 miles and meet up with a guy who was making twice my income only for him to show up for social events in a new Caddy on the company bill right before the sale, slap me on the back a few times and then go straight to the bar, sucking down SoCo Manhattans.

With $3+ billion, I would think Pegula doesn't need to play those games.

Yeah....and I think he still owns a bunch of land.

The group I worked for took over a public company, and one of the sticking points was that the current board still draw a "consulting fee" going forward. So it was great to fly 1500 miles and meet up with a guy who was making twice my income only for him to show up for social events in a new Caddy on the company bill right before the sale, slap me on the back a few times and then go straight to the bar, sucking down SoCo Manhattans.

With $3+ billion, I would think Pegula doesn't need to play those games.

It could also be a situation where the buyer required, as a condition to the deal, that Pegula stay on as an advisor/consultant/board member for some period of time after closing, on the theory that Pegula knows the company and/or the business itself better than the buyer.

It could also be a situation where the buyer required, as a condition to the deal, that Pegula stay on as an advisor/consultant/board member for some period of time after closing, on the theory that Pegula knows the company and/or the business itself better than the buyer.

But why are Terry and his wife out shopping for real estate to move 17 employees into new offices?

The Hockey News, up to bat:

Signed letter, strike 1

Trip to BOG meeting, strike two

Price quoted incorrect, strike three

No news is good news I guess.

The skeptic in me says this isn't necessarily true. I tend to believe this story was blown out of proportion from the beginning and 'no news' probably means 'no news'.

But why are Terry and his wife out shopping for real estate to move 17 employees into new offices?

2 possibilities come to mind:

1. He's starting a new company.

2. He's finding offices for his old company as part of the services he agreed to perform for them -- this isn't too difficult of an assignment as he lives close by and presumably knows how to negotiate for commercial office space (of which there is a glut, so the landlords will be pretty accommodating).

Well, there was no letter, no BOG met and greet, and no 150 mill price tag. Confirmed by multiple B'lo reporters. Maybe they've talked but nothing is on paper.

In other words, the article was false, but THN will claim credit for a scoop if a deal materializes.

THN writes this story, much of which was wrong, and the local media jumped on board, re-reported it and did little reporting of its own. And now they're all back asleep again. Lazy.

Did you read any of the local stuff? Even Bucky did some investigating. the local investigating didnt uncover anything of substance, and to date, that appears to be accurate.

Did you read any of the local stuff? Even Bucky did some investigating. the local investigating didnt uncover anything of substance, and to date, that appears to be accurate.

Bucky wrote that Pegula went to NYC to meet with league officials. Wrong. Some of Pegula's people, or even Pegula himself, contacted Bucky to try and put pressure on the negotiations by going public. Maybe OSP didn't like that.

The only local reporting that has been worth anything to me is Jeff Russo of Channel 7 picking up the phone and calling the NHL to see if Pegula was going to attend the Board of Governors meeting. He was told no, and he was never scheduled to attend.

I'm still optimistic. But I know we won't find out about it until the story is hand delivered to the local "media." It'll probably come out of the blue again.

I just don't see how the Sabres current ownership goes forward with the fan base having heard about the perfect owner being out there. I guess when they miss the playoffs for the 16th time in five years, they can always finally fire Lindy and Darcy. Will that be enough?

I don't think Pandora's going back in the box.

Bucky wrote that Pegula went to NYC to meet with league officials. Wrong. Some of Pegula's people, or even Pegula himself, contacted Bucky to try and put pressure on the negotiations by going public. Maybe OSP didn't like that.

The only local reporting that has been worth anything to me is Jeff Russo of Channel 7 picking up the phone and calling the NHL to see if Pegula was going to attend the Board of Governors meeting. He was told no, and he was never scheduled to attend.

I'm still optimistic. But I know we won't find out about it until the story is hand delivered to the local "media." It'll probably come out of the blue again.

I just don't see how the Sabres current ownership goes forward with the fan base having heard about the perfect owner being out there. I guess when they miss the playoffs for the 16th time in five years, they can always finally fire Lindy and Darcy. Will that be enough?

I don't think Pandora's going back in the box.

Bucky only reported that there was a report about him going to the Board in NYC. http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article271298.ece last paragraph.

He did not say he was reporting that, theres a difference. Trust me, i would love to take it out on Bucky but he has been solid on this issue.

Bucky only reported that there was a report about him going to the Board in NYC. http://www.buffalone...ticle271298.ece last paragraph.

He did not say he was reporting that, theres a difference. Trust me, i would love to take it out on Bucky but he has been solid on this issue.

PA was the one that showed the article in the first place. Just enough, 'possibly' , 'been reported' a 'friend told me', 'assuming' stuff to keep his credentials.

Bucky only reported that there was a report about him going to the Board in NYC. http://www.buffalone...ticle271298.ece last paragraph.

The board meeting was in Florida. Bucky reported that Pegula was in NYC to meet league officials.

Bucky has been shoddy and should stick to commentary.

This is probably a story that should have been assigned to real reporters in the paper's business section.

Archived