The Music Thread

darksabre

I saw this a couple weeks ago while waiting for my account to be activated here.

I couldn't wait to watch the video, wholeheartedly expecting to be like "yeah, right. Zep? Not even close"...

...then I watched it. Then listened to some more. Holy ###### it's like someone cloned Plant and Page. Maybe a little Peart mixed in (vocally). You could convince me it they were unheard deep tracks from the legendary Zep, if I hadn't seen those kids singing it with my own eyes.

So thanks for sharing. Between what these guys are doing (and storming the charts, 2nd last time I looked), and what Shooter is doing with Saving Country Music; I have renewed faith that real music with real instruments can make it's way back to the forefront. Perhaps even battle this robot seizure garbage that has taken over the "music" scene thess days.

Any time a person generalizes "the music scene today" into any negative pigeonhole, they're just showing that they don't bother to look for any interesting music. There is SO MUCH GOOD MUSIC being made today, both with analog and digital instruments, you're not trying very hard if you're not finding it.

Any time a person generalizes "the music scene today" into any negative pigeonhole, they're just showing that they don't bother to look for any interesting music. There is SO MUCH GOOD MUSIC being made today, both with analog and digital instruments, you're not trying very hard if you're not finding it.

I agree with you. But my point was, as I said "forefront".

Good music is being made, as I also said about Shooter Jennings' record label, specifically for getting Sturgill Simpson to the charts. My point is, for the most part, the good music is getting ignored on the charts. You have to look for it, all while dubstep, edm, rap, pop country, etc is being shoved down our throats at every turn.

I agree with you. But my point was, as I said "forefront".

Good music is being made, as I also said about Shooter Jennings' record label, specifically for getting Sturgill Simpson to the charts. My point is, for the most part, the good music is getting ignored on the charts. You have to look for it, all while dubstep, edm, rap, pop country, etc is being shoved down our throats at every turn.

I'm pretty sure that all good music throughout the ages has been ignored on the charts.

Swamp thats great. You guys are tight.

I love the tone of your bass, Swamp.

(Also you guys are damn good)

Thanks.

And that's the first comment I've gotten about my tone. Usually it's about my socks.

Edited by SwampD

I'm pretty sure that all good music throughout the ages has been ignored on the charts.

Perhaps. I did some research to that point. I went back to the 70's, since in my opinion the best decade for music of just about every kind. 

I looked at several years and yeah, you are right. Very little representation by the "greats" on the year end top 100's. Perhaps great music is like great art of other kinds, destined to only be fully appreciated after the fact.

At least we have the internet now, and can access all kinds of stuff. If I rattled off all of my favorite bands still making music, probably most folks would not recognize many of them. "Obscure country" I have been told, so I definitely appreciate music that isn't popular. 

I guess I just don't understand why good stuff doesn't make the charts. Then I did some more research. Turns out a large majority of the music sold in the US is sold to teens and preteens. They have interest in new music, and no bills= disposable income. Now I get it. They only market to kids. Adults will find and/or already know what they want and search it out, while kids don't, and are more succeptible to being "told" what is good and crave whatever is new.

I turned a friend of mine onto Greta Van Fleet last night and somehow his youtube (or whatever) experience brought him to a song by a band named Steel Panther.  Yes, with a name like Steel Panther, you would be correct to assume they are a parody band.  Not only are they hilarious, but they rock!  Check them out.

I turned a friend of mine onto Greta Van Fleet last night and somehow his youtube (or whatever) experience brought him to a song by a band named Steel Panther.  Yes, with a name like Steel Panther, you would be correct to assume they are a parody band.  Not only are they hilarious, but they rock!  Check them out.

Seen these guys before. They are hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...