The Music Thread

darksabre

Isn't grunge just classic rock performed by Gen xers? If you're into the Screaming Trees, please allow me to recommend Mark Lanegan's solo career particularly his album has God seen my shadow

If you're going to go there, Classic Rock is jazz + blues + fuzz guitar.

I suspect it's not everyone's cup of tea, but, LORD, the new Tribe Called Quest is so, so good. The big boom beat, the siren, the syncopation, Q-Tip ill as hell, and that ol' truth to power element of real hip-hop.

Also, that VH-1 line is perfection.

The new De La Soul is worth checking out as well.

Holy false equivalence Batman. Grunge/alt rock is certainly a sub-genre of classic rock whether 97 rock wants you to believe it or not.

I don't consider grunge a sub-genre, it's a derivative. Just like Classic Rock is a derivative of blues and (to lesser degree) jazz. Depending how you slice it, "Classic Rock" (Beatles-onward) is also a derivative of 50s Rock and Roll. If anything, Grunge owes more to punk than classic rock in my mind; they always seemed to have that "we're not terribly good musicians, but we have a voice" ethos that the punk movement used in spades.

I'm not usually into slicing things up like this, though, I'm not sure what's gotten into me.

Hat tip to NPR for this story on indigenous Canadian group A Tribe Called Red (obvious tribute name there...)

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/20/499733738/a-tribe-called-red-breaks-down-its-powwow-step-style

The group's signature "powwow-step" style, which mixes electronic dance music and traditional tribal music, has drawn a lot of attention. In 2014 it won a Juno, Canada's highest music honor, for Breakthrough Group of the Year, making it the first indigenous artist to win in a non-indigenous category.

Their full album is on Amazon Prime music so I'm streaming it this morning. I dig it. 

Was listening to some random playlist on Spotify yesterday and this song came on: 

The artist is a young French lady who goes by the name Jain and appears to make all of her music on her own and performs with a mixer. Anyhow, what caught me about this song was the African influence in the sound. So I went digging and it turns out she spent a lot of time traveling with her father for work and it took her to places like the UAE and the Congo. 

The song itself is about Miriam Makeba. If you don't know that name off the top of your head, you might recognize her music. 

Miriam was a civil rights activist in south Africa and fled to the US in the 60's with the help of Harry Belafonte. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Makeba

In 1966, Makeba received the Grammy Award for Best Folk Recording together with Harry Belafonte for An Evening with Belafonte/Makeba.[12][19] The album dealt with the political plight of black South Africans under apartheid, and it was one of the first American albums to present traditional Zulu, Sotho and Swahili songs in an authentic setting.

I bought Jain's whole album, Zanaka, on Google Play music. It's very good. Then I spent the rest of the day listening to Miriam on Spotify. A fun little rabbit whole of music, history, etc.  

^

I love this about music, the internet, and, in this specific case, you ( :wub: ).

Seriously - excellent stuff. I haven't had a rabbit hole in a while. (And, when I did, it was in re Jason Molina (so it was a very melancholy adventure).)

I may follow you down this one. I put on ~5 lbs over Thanksgiving, so I'll try to make sure we have room to pass each other if you're still on your way out/up.

Edit: Speaking of Thanksgiving: I have a niece who's at a small liberal arts college in the northeast - who was home for the holiday - who is as unbearably PC as anyone or anything that's been mentioned in this thread. My bet: She'd decry this artist as culturally appropriative. I'm so glad my life isn't thusly devoid of joy.

^

I love this about music, the internet, and, in this specific case, you ( :wub: ).

Seriously - excellent stuff. I haven't had a rabbit hole in a while. (And, when I did, it was in re Jason Molina (so it was a very melancholy adventure).)

I may follow you down this one. I put on ~5 lbs over Thanksgiving, so I'll try to make sure we have room to pass each other if you're still on your way out/up.

Edit: Speaking of Thanksgiving: I have a niece who's at a small liberal arts college in the northeast - who was home for the holiday - who is as unbearably PC as anyone or anything that's been mentioned in this thread. My bet: She'd decry this artist as culturally appropriative. I'm so glad my life isn't thusly devoid of joy.

And,… what's the problem? I kinda thought that's what our country was based on.

And,… what's the problem? I kinda thought that's what our country was based on.

Think along the lines of how a cadre of students at Oberlin College managed to get items like banh mi and sushi -- in the forms in which they were being served -- eliminated from their food service provider's menus across campus.

Anyway, it's totally not something I wish to defend, or explain for that matter.

Think along the lines of how a cadre of students at Oberlin College managed to get items like banh mi and sushi -- in the forms in which they were being served -- eliminated from their food service provider's menus across campus.

Anyway, it's totally not something I wish to defend, or explain for that matter.

:lol:

^

Glad you like it! Exploring culture/history/language through music is so much fun.

re: your niece. I think cultural appropriation can be okay when it's done respectfully. The problem with appropriation is a lot of people who do it (read: white folk) are suuuuuper tone deaf to what they're doing. I look at this artist and I see her use of traditional dancers in her video, the subject matter being a showing of respect for a cultural icon of South Africa, and I see cultural appropriation being done in a constructive way. It lead me to Miriam Makeba didn't it? I think that's what someone like Miriam would have wanted. I think that would be Jain's goal as well. 

Edited by d4rksabre

Wow. That song is awesome. I just set up my drumset because of it.

:thumbsup:

And not to derail the current discussion, but without fail every time I hear this on the radio it gets stuck in my head for days. What a jam.

Edited by d4rksabre

"I have come curiously close to the end, down

Beneath my self indulgent pitiful hole

Defeated, I concede and

Move closer

I May find comfort here

I May find peace within the emptiness

How pitiful......"

MJK is right up there with the best. I've been listening to this song for years and I have just had an epiphany...

"...Repugnant is a creature who would squander the

ability to turn an eye to heaven conscious of his

fleeting time here.."

Some of Carey's finest work in this piece. Not sure when the new album comes out but each one is a gem.

Fun fact. Tom Morello was in a band in high school with Maynard.