Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Peopel who let their cats roam the neighborhood.

My dog has an extremely high prey drive.  She’s managed to get half a dozen squirrels and a woodchuck last Summer alone.  

She’s almost caught 2 cats in the backyard as well. One particular cat keeps coming back occasionally.  Last week (where was the complaint thread last week?) I let her out not realizing the cat was in our fully vinyl fenced backyard.  Dog caught the cat in a corner and there was a brief altercation.  Cat managed to uncorner itself and was able to escape under our fence gate.  No idea if the cat was hurt or not.  I hope not.  She did get a good cut on the dog.  Fortunately no vet needed to heal it up.

Ive seen the cat in our backyard twice since.  Apparently, lesson not learned.

I really, really don’t want someone’s pet to get hurt.  Or worse. If you won’t keep your cat where it is safe and healthy, don’t own a ***** cat, please.

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

My dog has an extremely high prey drive.  She’s managed to get half a dozen squirrels and a woodchuck last Summer alone.  

She’s almost caught 2 cats in the backyard as well. One particular cat keeps coming back occasionally.  Last week (where was the complaint thread last week?) I let her out not realizing the cat was in our fully vinyl fenced backyard.  Dog caught the cat in a corner and there was a brief altercation.  Cat managed to uncorner itself and was able to escape under our fence gate.  No idea if the cat was hurt or not.  I hope not.  She did get a good cut on the dog.  Fortunately no vet needed to heal it up.

I really, really don’t want someone’s pet to get hurt.  Or worse. If you won’t keep your cat where it is safe and healthy, don’t own a ***** cat, please.

My yards backs to woods.  We have mice and other critters to deal with.   I have found a few mice getting into my garage, several times they got into my AC unit and ate wires, one time I found traces that indicate they got in the basement - had to fix their entry points and put traps out.  

Solution:  Feral and stray cats.   The past few years cats have been on the prowl, they come from the same wooded area.   I pick them up on my outdoor cameras and watch them on patrol.   The result, no signs of mice anywhere.   They avoid people and are hardly ever spotted during daylight.  

I have seen four cats in total, three look to be feral but one has a collar and roams with them.  No complaints from me regarding these cats.   

This may be something I posted in the past, but it came up today again so I'm posting it again.

on Espn, Stephen A. Smith.  He just yells and yells and yells, how does anyone like that, let a long tolerate it?

I hardly watch ESPN anymore, but after the Diggs trade, I turned it on for a few minutes yesterday.  Turned off the TV after a couple minutes. So just a few minutes ago, I turn the tv on and because ESPN was on last, it came on right away, and immediately, I have no idea what it was even about, he's just yelling, like on the verge of screaming.

How does someone make a career about complaining about things in sports, being angry all the time, and just yelling on tv? I don't get it.

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My yards backs to woods.  We have mice and other critters to deal with.   I have found a few mice getting into my garage, several times they got into my AC unit and ate wires, one time I found traces that indicate they got in the basement - had to fix their entry points and put traps out.  

Solution:  Feral and stray cats.   The past few years cats have been on the prowl, they come from the same wooded area.   I pick them up on my outdoor cameras and watch them on patrol.   The result, no signs of mice anywhere.   They avoid people and are hardly ever spotted during daylight.  

I have seen four cats in total, three look to be feral but one has a collar and roams with them.  No complaints from me regarding these cats.   

They aren’t your cats, so they aren’t your responsibility. I don’t want my dog killing your daughter’s pet, and that is the gist of my complaint. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Cats are terrible for the local ecology. If you can’t keep your cat indoors, you should not have a cat as a pet. I say pet, because there’s circumstances as described above that make having a predator on property logical. 

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

They aren’t your cats, so they aren’t your responsibility. I don’t want my dog killing your daughter’s pet, and that is the gist of my complaint. 

Understand.   I just see them on my camera at night and I ignore them since they helped fix the mice problem.  I was tired of fixing my AC unit, that happened twice.  

On 4/4/2024 at 9:50 AM, Pimlach said:

I live in Chicago proper - the city actually has a Trap n Release program for feral cats. Does wonders to control critter population - even rats! There are three in our neighborhood, one original female and two truly feral males. We have managed to trap and neuter one of the males (there are a handful of vets that do it for free!) ... but my complaint is that the second male is very inconsistent in his schedule and VERY smart. We are hoping to get him this spring before he makes another round or 7 of kittens with any unfixed females that might be slinking about.

GET YOUR PETS SPAYED OR NEUTERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

One of my dogs has been officially diagnosed with a tumor... This dog does not get upset about how the Sabres play, so she means a lot to me. (The other dog, her sister, also does not get upset, but this isn't about her.)

This sucks.  But what sucks more is just how impersonal the vet has been about this whole situation. They've been a good vet but in the past year or two their quality of service has declined greatly.  This will be our last time ever dealing with them.  Not only them, but they needed an ultrasound done but the "traveling" doc who does them is only there on Thursdays and we're not allowed to be in the waiting room even while the ultrasound occurs?  Damn right I asked for an image from the ultrasound before I pay that bill.

Oddly enough, had the same experience with our dental practice. They'd been great but the past two years they've seen massive turnover and every visit feels impersonal. Then, they try to sell you snake oil.  Like some new owner took over and decided that trying to sell BS services and pushing unnecessary treatments is a great way to improve revenue while also treating customers like garbage.

Sure sign I am getting too old at this point.

But... I really want my dog to be better.  Nothing else matters... not right now.

• Like (+1) 2

The cost of housing.  Our daughter finally has a full time, decent (not great) but decent job, and is saving money looking for a house.  There is zero chance of her buying on on her own.  We are willing to help her a bit with it, but again, wow.  A 30 year old (or slightly newer) 2 or 3 bedroom in the suburbs within a few miles of us...prices have gone up more than 50% in the last couple of years.

We own a house in Florida we rent out (probably selling it soon, we have zero desire to return to Florida) but I have noticed something in the area where we own it and read about this other places too.  People in CONCEPT want more affordable housing for young people...but in order for that to happen, new supply has to be brought onto the market, or smaller/cheaper unites need to be built.   So what is the problem with that?  I have noticed that anytime a proposal is brought up to do that in a county or town, Home-owning senior citizens show up and make sure that doesn't get passed. ANYTHING that lowers (or even prevents the continued increase in home prices) also means when they look at the value of THEIR home on Zillow, the number doesn't go up as much, and they don't like that.  In Florida there was a proposal to build a new subdivision about 10 miles from our house down there that would have smaller, more 'basic" houses built.  Apparently at the meeting for it, 50+ people showed up to speak against it (mostly senior citizens) saying they don't want it because it would impact their home values.  Up here by us, there is an apartment complex recently built and they want to make apartments in it that are almost 'house sized' (over 1200 sq feet, 3 bedroom apartments) and again, a bunch of people showed up saying no to it...only studios or one bedrooms...because if you make 3 bedroom apartments available for rent, that is less demand for housing and their home values will go down.

You can't have 'affordable' housing if every time a proposal comes up for that you have people show up not wanting it, because they want to see the 'paper' value of their current homes keep going up.

I have another complaint today, this one a bit closer to hockey and being a fan of the Sabres.

Lance Lysowski from the Buffalo news.

He put a tweet out there that someone disagreed with.  A response was made to him, nothing confrontational at all. He was supporting Cozens, and one person replied that last year was an outlier year for cozens. A 2nd person responded, again, nothing confrontational at all, listed some stats showing his shooting percentages showing that last year was much higher than any of the other 3 years of his career, including this year.  Nothing was said criticizing Lysowski, no shade was thrown at him in any way.

His reply?  You all an enjoy living under your dark cloud (or something like that) and then said he was done and was muting the conversaton or the responders.  Then he deleted his original post.

You are a member of the media. You are posting things on twitter. The people responding to you were not mean in any way, and just gave a different opinion and backed it up with stats.  To be that closed minded and thin skinned of someoen disagreeing with you...over a twitter post...and them not confroting you but just throwing some stats out there...wow.  You shouldn't hold positions and post if you can't take a someone who has a different opinion especially when they use stats to explain it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Fan Appreciation Kniggit lines up with Complaint Thursday.  Coincidence?  I think not.

30 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I have another complaint today, this one a bit closer to hockey and being a fan of the Sabres.

Lance Lysowski from the Buffalo news.

He put a tweet out there that someone disagreed with.  A response was made to him, nothing confrontational at all. He was supporting Cozens, and one person replied that last year was an outlier year for cozens. A 2nd person responded, again, nothing confrontational at all, listed some stats showing his shooting percentages showing that last year was much higher than any of the other 3 years of his career, including this year.  Nothing was said criticizing Lysowski, no shade was thrown at him in any way.

His reply?  You all an enjoy living under your dark cloud (or something like that) and then said he was done and was muting the conversaton or the responders.  Then he deleted his original post.

You are a member of the media. You are posting things on twitter. The people responding to you were not mean in any way, and just gave a different opinion and backed it up with stats.  To be that closed minded and thin skinned of someoen disagreeing with you...over a twitter post...and them not confroting you but just throwing some stats out there...wow.  You shouldn't hold positions and post if you can't take a someone who has a different opinion especially when they use stats to explain it.

If my job was to right about the Sabres my nerves would be worn pretty thin by now too.

11 hours ago, LTS said:

One of my dogs has been officially diagnosed with a tumor... This dog does not get upset about how the Sabres play, so she means a lot to me. (The other dog, her sister, also does not get upset, but this isn't about her.)

This sucks.  But what sucks more is just how impersonal the vet has been about this whole situation. They've been a good vet but in the past year or two their quality of service has declined greatly.  This will be our last time ever dealing with them.  Not only them, but they needed an ultrasound done but the "traveling" doc who does them is only there on Thursdays and we're not allowed to be in the waiting room even while the ultrasound occurs?  Damn right I asked for an image from the ultrasound before I pay that bill.

Oddly enough, had the same experience with our dental practice. They'd been great but the past two years they've seen massive turnover and every visit feels impersonal. Then, they try to sell you snake oil.  Like some new owner took over and decided that trying to sell BS services and pushing unnecessary treatments is a great way to improve revenue while also treating customers like garbage.

Sure sign I am getting too old at this point.

But... I really want my dog to be better.  Nothing else matters... not right now.

Try VCA.  I see there are two in North towns. In Virginia we were in the room while the radiologist told us what he saw. The VCA closest to us uses the traveling vet.  We went to the larger 24-7 VCA. I think they both cost the same, expensive.

Good luck.

27 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hello complaint thread, my old friend. 😂

Typical Buffalo spring.  For every decent day, there are 3 days with some combination of grey skies, rain & below average temps. 

I've been trying to mow my lawn for days now.  The backyard is starting to resemble Vietnam. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My neighbors across the street are building an extension on their house. They started the framing yesterday. During their break, the workers were laying down napping in my yard. I went outside and told them they were in the wrong yard and one responded “what did you say?”.  I said it again and then got nothing but “no English”.

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

My neighbors across the street are building an extension on their house. They started the framing yesterday. During their break, the workers were laying down napping in my yard. I went outside and told them they were in the wrong yard and one responded “what did you say?”.  I said it again and then got nothing but “no English”.

I would bet money that they know English just fine. It’s just easier than telling you they don’t care.