Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I speak a little, though I'm not fluent. NTR is something like Note to Readers or something? AGM is some sort of shareholder  end of year meeting? Simple translation: his client wants him to do a month of work in about a day.  From what I can tell from my wife and friends who are accountants this ###### happens way too often. "Oh yeah, I never got that to you did I...you can still get it done by Tuesday, right?" Then the accountants work for 30 hours straight because the client has put this off to the LAST possible moment and they have to get it done before X day or else the SEC or someone gets involved. Accountants deserve your respect/pity.

As long as we're getting into specific work issues: My company makes products (PCI boards)  that are often sold to other larger companies to be put inside their product (usually a server) or larger solution. These larger companies are called Original Equipment Manufacturers, or OEM's.

I can get more specific if thats confusing, but suffice to say before we enter an agreement with a company that they'll buy our product, we obviously have to make sure it works with them. These are called certifications, and I am going through one now. Usually the OEM sends us a list of things they want us to test and the equipment they want us to test them with, we do it, fix any issue we run into, then send them the results, and the agreement goes forward.

The current cert I'm working on should be done by now, except one of the OEM's engineers wants to actually SEE some of the stuff happen. Fine, no problem, I set up a remote desktop app so he can watch me run some tests. Except I made it a very basic testing setup because my full setup got torn down a MONTH ago when I FINISHED this testing. Now he keeps asking for more and more pieces to this very simple test he wants to run. I worked an extra hour last night, and we're going to get started again in about 10 minutes. I'm so ready to be done with this.

Side note, if anyone has a nice, easy way to remote into Linux from Windows, I'm all ears.

Check out X2go or XRDP, we use both for remote access. If you're looking for something more like webex, I think Bluejeans works well on Linux (Redhat uses it for their meetings). https://www.bluejeans.com/

Edited by MattPie

Check out X2go or XRDP, we use both for remote access. If you're looking for something more like webex, I think Bluejeans works well on Linux (Redhat uses it for their meetings). https://www.bluejeans.com/

Cool, thanks, I'll check that out on Monday. XRDP sounds familiar. We tried VNC Viewer but had problems connecting it. I ended up just SSHing in, but actually being able to see the screen would be better. Thanks MattPie.

Cool, thanks, I'll check that out on Monday. XRDP sounds familiar. We tried VNC Viewer but had problems connecting it. I ended up just SSHing in, but actually being able to see the screen would be better. Thanks MattPie.

My pleasure! XRDP is a bit confusing; I remember having a tough time figuring out where the current version is due to the "original" version (0.6.1, or so) was the last and then someone else kept working on it up to 0.9.0 or something. If it's in your package manager, use that. I'm still building RPMs from sources I had to hack up to work, but I think the current version is in EPEL for Redhat/Centos; I really need to test that and migrate so I can get away from my homebrew. I'm not sure about Ubuntu-based stuff, we don't use that at work.

(Someone feel free to complain that that is one seriously jargon-filled post)

Edited by MattPie

I've never once in my life, worked or gone to school/class on my birthday. Not ever!

Oh and work, ya know, that easy night I was crowing about in the awesome thread(or maybe you didn't read it/or care enough to remember, what do I care? you!) yeah, work sucked tonight! The thing about training people, they do things slower than you, and your OCD will kick in and make you a firey ball of hate(on the inside, cool as a cucumber on the outside).

OK, that's over now. Bourbon! Lots of it!

Edited by ubkev

So I fixed the oil cooler lines on my hooptie Roadmaster last weekend and was feeling pretty good about that. My other goal for getting this car ready to drive full time was to flush the cooling system because I think it's had green coolant mixed with Dexcool, which is not great. Well apparently Chevy LT1 motors are a bit more involved when it comes to this process. I've been waffling all week as to whether I really feel like attempting this and tomorrow has to be the day. Do I trust a shop to do this right, or do I suck it up and try to get the job done myself?

Harrumph.

It's thanksgiving and my birthday and I shouldn't hafta work dammit!

...although my work is going to be incredibly easy and quite possibly lotsa fun...

I've never quite understood the whole taking birthdays off from work thing. One of my former employees would do it every year. He also loves sneakers and WWE. This added up to me thinking he was "special".

Also, I think he only has one leg and uses his dick for a second leg as his wife is a complete smoke show and his special person persona never quite added up.

D4rk, you know who I'm talking about?

Edited by inkman

It's not my Thanksgiving so ...

I have been getting a lot of *robo calls* from North Carolina on both my office and mobile numbers.

How many times do I have to tell them that I am not interested in raping and pillaging.

Besides President Elect Trump will never let me into your fine country even if I wanted to rape and pillage.

I've never quite understood the whole taking birthdays off from work thing. One of my former employees would do it every year. He also loves sneakers and WWE. This added up to me thinking he was "special".

Also, I think he only has one leg and uses his dick for a second leg as his wife is a complete smoke show and his special person persona never quite added up.

I'm not into sneakers or wrestling. I am into not working. I prefer to not work as often as possible.

A certain tattooed individual known for never doing his job and who somehow wasn't you? :p

I wish I could post about how frustrated I currently am but I can't. Certain parts of my life right now are driving me up a wall and I can't do anything right now to fix that. Patience for now. 

Sorry to hear that, hope everything works for you.    

I wish I could post about how frustrated I currently am but I can't. Certain parts of my life right now are driving me up a wall and I can't do anything right now to fix that. Patience for now. 

I don't want to minimize it with a cliche; but what you're doing is "adulting."  I'm glad you are exercising patience instead of lashing out.  It's the good, responsible, thing to do, even if it makes you frustrated as hell inside.  A big problem these days, imo, is too many people lash out. 

So I guess I'm commending you.