Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Solar? The man looked at future job growth and chose a career path that should lead to financial security. Much respect d4rk.

I got LUCKY. :lol: I made decisions that lead me back to the solar industry (where I started in '07 before the recession), but it wasn't deliberate. I'm hoping to make a career in energy, whatever that ends up entailing.

Well honey, if I make it big by painting hockey players somehow, you can stay at home and roll around with the cat and kids all you like. As long as you also promise to clean up the barf. <3

I clean up all the cat barf now! Status quo in my book.

Sorry, that's my misuse of synonyms to avoid repeating more common terms. Kinda backfires sometimes haha 

Not stationed in that sense. D4rk works in the solar industry. A couple more years where he is now is necessary for stability, and then perhaps we can move somewhere else. 

Oh I absolutely agree that love doesn't pay the bills. I'm lucky that d4rk and I have a pretty solid understanding of this. We're both very pragmatic people. I have been struggling with the idea of him making more than me and being a "kept woman" for some time now, let alone him being sole major income for even a brief period of time. I prefer to be as financially independent as possible. My mother was a stay at home mom and she has always been torn between being happy she was there for us and regretful she didn't become the big business woman she was expected to be. My father was privileged enough to make a salary that made this possible. 

I'm not too stupid with my money. I won't go without a job for longer than a month or two, and even that I will be making enough off freelance to pay my rent, gas, and car payments without dipping into my savings. I can tighten my belt. I already barely eat :P

Even if d4rk were to make a salary like my father, I would work. I refuse to not contribute as much as possible.  

As to the squabbling- you're right there too. We squabbled plenty. I'm responsible for lighting a fire under his a$$ to figure out his life. And he listened. And worked his butt off. And he's doing really well now. Now it's my turn to wallow around figuring things out! 

You and Mrs Menace would get a long great lol.

I've always said I want to be a stay at home dad. :lol:

I asked Mrs menace if I could quit my job and be a stay at home dad.  She told me she was no ones sugar momma.  lmao.  I'm still employed... 

I asked Mrs menace if I could quit my job and be a stay at home dad.  She told me she was no ones sugar momma.  lmao.  I'm still employed... 

Ahahah I like her. Someday we'll all have a beer together! 

Yeah that same conversation didn't get very far with Mrs. Boyes either. Why marry a doctor in the first place if you can't stay home and play with the dogs all day?!

(Obviously kidding :) )

haha well, I have been attempting to teach myself some basic stuff. A little CSS, HTML, Java... I got to Ruby and was like... what the heck is happening here.... I just haven't had enough time/a good way to really get to a functional level. I have been using codecademy and poking my dev pals for pointers. 

I'd like to learn some, I think it would help my chances in an advertising agency. 

My best friend at this company was a female game dev. She left because of the b.s. she faced constantly. She was a better programmer than most people here, but they treated her like a novice. She's at MailChimp in Atlanta being a rockstar now. If I quit soon, I may take a trip down there and just go through a weekend crash course she's offered to me on learning this stuff.

My skills have been outdated to some degree. Coding could be fun.

Ruby is really weird. Give Python a shot, I found it remarkably easy to pick up (spoilers, I have a CS degree) because the syntax is light on extraneous structure and more like writing English directions than many other languages.

Ruby is really weird. Give Python a shot, I found it remarkably easy to pick up (spoilers, I have a CS degree) because the syntax is light on extraneous structure and more like writing English directions than many other languages.

Yeah I would not start with Ruby

Go Python => Java => C++ => the wilderness

I skipped Python and C++, went straight into the wilderness. MIPS :lol:

Yeah I would not start with Ruby

Go Python => Java => C++ => the wilderness

I skipped Python and C++, went straight into the wilderness. ###### MIPS :lol:

haha ok, good to know. I was just... completely lost! Such a totally different logical direction from what I'd been working with.

I like what I've learned already. I incorrectly assumed it would be like learning math... it's much more like learning a new foreign language. Hence why they're called languages, I'm sure! 

I'll look at Python next. The teaching on codecademy is sort of stunted. My friend says I should just try to build a website and see what happens. Poke around on github and such. 

I don't know what I don't know, so it's all pretty daunting to me. I'd like to take a structured class in it. 

haha ok, good to know. I was just... completely lost! Such a totally different logical direction from what I'd been working with.

I like what I've learned already. I incorrectly assumed it would be like learning math... it's much more like learning a new foreign language. Hence why they're called languages, I'm sure!

I'll look at Python next. The teaching on codecademy is sort of stunted. My friend says I should just try to build a website and see what happens. Poke around on github and such.

I don't know what I don't know, so it's all pretty daunting to me. I'd like to take a structured class in it.

Maybe someone here can give you a road map, for lack of a better phrase?

Maybe someone here can give you a road map, for lack of a better phrase?

I'm very busy until Sunday, but I can see what I can find then. I don't recommend just diving into git hub though, it can be overwhelming. Personally, I don't like website design either, as HTML is ungodly boring to me. She should start with a simple Hello World, some basic stuff, then make a little game. My first big program was to simulate the odds of a craps game over 5M times.

I'm very busy until Sunday, but I can see what I can find then. I don't recommend just diving into git hub though, it can be overwhelming. Personally, I don't like website design either, as HTML is ungodly boring to me. She should start with a simple Hello World, some basic stuff, then make a little game. My first big program was to simulate the odds of a craps game over 5M times.

Excellent.

Ahahah I like her. Someday we'll all have a beer together! 

We should figure out an RIT or Sabres hockey game towards the end of the season or something. 

My complaint for the day doesn't actually pertain to me, per say, directly.  I have a technician, former Army metal worker, did odd jobs after he got out, and is now looking for stable work to settle down.  He came into the interview two years ago with a backwards hat on, long hair, jeans and a polo/golf type shirt.  I hired him on the spot (much to the disliking of the other interviewers).  He has turned out to be one of our best technicians and one of my best direct reports.  He keeps the lab area clean, and is a jack of all trades.  If he doesn't know something, he teaches himself or asks someone to teach him.  There isn't much he can't do.

Well, he has outperformed his job description now for about 8 months, with so many people leaving and the rest of us trying to pick up the slack.  I submitted a Personnel Action request (i.e. a promotion/jump in pay) for him 6 months ago.  I was just told that it's not going to get done until at least after the first of the year.  This guy works his ass off, does everything he is asked and then some, rarely if ever complains, and is being on.  He came to me recently and told me that if he feels like his self motivation and his proactivity are being used.  He wants to see even the smallest of pay bumps.  My boss told him we submitted something, but I can't tell (read that as literally cannot, not that I'm afraid to, I just am not allowed to) him that it won't go through for at least 2 more months.  Guy and his girlfriend just had a baby, and he couldn't afford to take full paternity leave, and she hasn't returned to work in any capacity because they can't afford daycare, even if she was working.  I'm stuck with just giving the guy giftcards every couple of weeks.  I hate not being able to bump this guy's pay up, and I'm afraid I'm gonig to lose one of if not my best workers. 

I think I used parts of this:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

One that kinda worked for me was when something would give example programs, I'd type it in by hand rather than cut and paste. This is something I never did in the past, but it felt like actually having to enter it meant later when I was writing something I had far fewer syntax issues than normal. Of course, it could just be that I'm old. Actually, it may be that I first learned to program before the internet is what it is today so I was mostly copying from books.

This, linked from the above seems like a decent place to start as it looks like it's mostly done in the browser. And being Canadian it's very polite.

http://cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/

EDIT! There's a "Learn Python" Android app that has 4.8 stars. Giving that one a look, I need to get better.

Edited by MattPie

I think I used parts of this:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

One that kinda worked for me was when something would give example programs, I'd type it in by hand rather than cut and paste. This is something I never did in the past, but it felt like actually having to enter it meant later when I was writing something I had far fewer syntax issues than normal. Of course, it could just be that I'm old. Actually, it may be that I first learned to program before the internet is what it is today so I was mostly copying from books.

This, linked from the above seems like a decent place to start as it looks like it's mostly done in the browser. And being Canadian it's very polite.

http://cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/

Definitely type it out, no copy pasta

Thanks, guys! I'll take a look at it when I get some time here.

I learned that I make wayyyyy more mistakes copying and pasting, so I, too, just typed it all out. So many refreshings wondering why the code wasn't working, and realizing it was a missing bracket or underscore because I got lazy. 

We should figure out an RIT or Sabres hockey game towards the end of the season or something. 

My complaint for the day doesn't actually pertain to me, per say, directly.  I have a technician, former Army metal worker, did odd jobs after he got out, and is now looking for stable work to settle down.  He came into the interview two years ago with a backwards hat on, long hair, jeans and a polo/golf type shirt.  I hired him on the spot (much to the disliking of the other interviewers).  He has turned out to be one of our best technicians and one of my best direct reports.  He keeps the lab area clean, and is a jack of all trades.  If he doesn't know something, he teaches himself or asks someone to teach him.  There isn't much he can't do.

Well, he has outperformed his job description now for about 8 months, with so many people leaving and the rest of us trying to pick up the slack.  I submitted a Personnel Action request (i.e. a promotion/jump in pay) for him 6 months ago.  I was just told that it's not going to get done until at least after the first of the year.  This guy works his ass off, does everything he is asked and then some, rarely if ever complains, and is being ###### on.  He came to me recently and told me that if he feels like his self motivation and his proactivity are being used.  He wants to see even the smallest of pay bumps.  My boss told him we submitted something, but I can't tell (read that as literally cannot, not that I'm afraid to, I just am not allowed to) him that it won't go through for at least 2 more months.  Guy and his girlfriend just had a baby, and he couldn't afford to take full paternity leave, and she hasn't returned to work in any capacity because they can't afford daycare, even if she was working.  I'm stuck with just giving the guy giftcards every couple of weeks.  I hate not being able to bump this guy's pay up, and I'm afraid I'm gonig to lose one of if not my best workers. 

That's rough. His struggle and your futility. I hope it all works out, for both of you! And seriously, good on you for looking past his appearance and seeing the talent underneath. I know a polished interview presence is important, but there are stories like this out there! 

I'm reluctant to post this in light of the real problems being posted here, but the bananas at my local market have been way (as in way) too big lately.

I love bananas, but this has gone too far.

I'm dying at this complaint, sorry NS :lol: :lol:

And no, it's not the innuendo

I'm reluctant to post this in light of the real problems being posted here, but the bananas at my local market have been way (as in way) too big lately.

Like how big are we talking here? All the bananas around here are actually pretty tiny if you ask me. 6 inches max i'd say.

And bear in mind what I've said to you many times: I want you to do what will make you happy in the long term even if it costs us in the short term. And I know your career is important to you, whether than ends up being art or something different.

Look at what bio and her fiance (right?) have been doing for years. We're not the only ones trying to get on in life in complicated ways.

Not engaged, but you're right about the long-term / long-distance bit.  Job opportunities have necessitated moves to different areas in the last few years, but we're working on a plan to get him to Denver.  Unfortunately, nothing happens quickly where faculty research positions are concerned, and he's got his entire team there to consider either relocating with him or finding funds to keep them employed with someone else after he leaves.

Surprised no one listed the obvious compliant for the week (for anyone other than the handful of happy folks like Hank).

Not engaged, but you're right about the long-term / long-distance bit.  Job opportunities have necessitated moves to different areas in the last few years, but we're working on a plan to get him to Denver.  Unfortunately, nothing happens quickly where faculty research positions are concerned, and he's got his entire team there to consider either relocating with him or finding funds to keep them employed with someone else after he leaves.Surprised no one listed the obvious compliant for the week (for anyone other than the handful of happy folks like Hank).

Pretty sure that one was covered in the other thread.

Most of us got complaining about the Bills getting jobbed just before the 1/2 ended out of our systems in the Bills thread. ;)

Ours have been too green or too ripe. No in between! 

Send em my way. I like em big. 

... oh.