(OT) Common Sabrespace Typos and Poor Grammar That Drive You Mad

shrader

I recently took a little jab at someone for calling a player a “duel threat”. It got me thinking about how there are some recurring posting habits around here that always have me rolling my eyes. We don’t need any public shaming here, I’m more looking for some subtle shaming instead. I won’t name any names, but you know who you are. 

So here we go:

1. A certain poster named after a type of hair extension constantly says “noone”. I don’t know if he or she thinks it is old English after spending too much time at ye olde pub at 12pm, but that’s not a word. 

2. Sticking to the hair theme, a certain large hairy alien regularly talks about things that he/she “would of” done. I can’t even think of some witty way where you could actually use those two words together. Maybe if I would’ve had more sleep last night. 

There you go. Even the greatest of detectives can’t possibly know who I am talking about. I’m sure there are many other typos and grammar oddities out there, maybe even from me. Let’s hear them. Or feel free to pick something out from this very post. Like I said, limited sleep. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

6 hours ago, shrader said:

I recently took a little jab at someone for calling a player a “duel threat”. It got me thinking about how there are some recurring posting habits around here that always have me rolling my eyes. We don’t need any public shaming here, I’m more looking for some subtle shaming instead. I won’t name any names, but you know who you are. 

So here we go:

1. A certain poster named after a type of hair extension constantly says “noone”. I don’t know if he or she thinks it is old English after spending too much time at ye olde pub at 12pm, but that’s not a word. 

2. Sticking to the hair theme, a certain large hairy alien regularly talks about things that he “would of” done. I can’t even think of some witty way where you could actually use those two words together. Maybe if I would’ve had more sleep last night. 

There you go. Even the greatest of detectives can’t possibly know who I am talking about. I’m sure there are many other typos and grammar oddities out there, maybe even from me. Let’s hear them. Or feel free to pick something out from this very post. Like I said, limited sleep. 

Well I just looked that up since I'm 99% certain you are speaking of me.

Holy *****, I never even knew that

Would've = Would have obviously but Would of = Is akin to "wood of a tree" and while speaking aloud it makes sense doesn't read correctly. Hopefully I remember this for future posts 🙂

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Somebody was sleeping in class the week they covered contractions in grade school.

Effectively I've always know the contraction but always believed "would of" was one of those oddball quirks of the English language that was passed down since the Normans invaded England or something lol

• Haha (+1) 1

No issues with print but one thing that I avoid when actually  speaking is saying " Ya know " . People try and speak too quickly and have to say " Ya know "  every few seconds while they formulate their idea.  Just take a breath. Relax. Quit trying to go 100 mph. when speaking and saying " Ya know " 10O times in 5 minutes.  Bad habit. 

This is a bad topic for me because when I post things, especially long posts, I find I make a lot of typos that I often have to go back and correct, and some I just miss.

If I had to pick one, it would be lose - loose.  Not because mistakes don't happen, but I have seen posts from people (I THINK on Twitter) that the same person will make the one over and over that I think its intentional.

• Like (+1) 1

Like mjd, i just post most of the time, not worrying about my grammar. I commiserate and rant here as my wife and my girls are tired of hearing my get pissed off at our wonderful teams that are inept. Unlike my wife and children i do not live with anyone here and can rant without giving a crap what people say or think. I have Thick enough skin to take an objection to my my thoughts, and or points and move on. We are ALL Sabres fans in one form or another. We commiserate,  rant, and see the game in different ways. It is a serious love/hate relationship. Like that boyfriend/girlfriend that drives you nuts but still want to keep seeing. LOL So, i just enjoy the banter and even the criticism that i get, cause we are ALL SABRESFANS!

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Somebody was sleeping in class the week they covered contractions in grade school.

Noone would have guessed you'd come with this post.

(insert winkie thingie here)

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

What I don't understand is how people who supposedly have eyes to read
and ears to listen can continue to make mistakes that the (once) majority
does not.

Rob Ray will say, "I had went to the bar" or "the puck had came out to
the point."  These should be: "I had gone to the bar" and "the puck
had come out to the point".  It's called the "Past Perfect".

I found these explanations online:

--
"There are four past tense forms in English:
Past simple:     I worked
Past continuous:     I was working
Past perfect:     I had worked
Past perfect continuous:     I had been working"
(https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/english-grammar-reference/past-tense)

---

and

---

The following is a list of Irregular Verbs in English:

Verb     Past Simple     Past Participle
==========================================
arise     arose     arisen
babysit     babysat     babysat
be     was / were    been
beat     beat     beaten
become     became    become
begin     began    begun
[snip]...
win     won     won
withdraw     withdrew     withdrawn
write     wrote     written
==========================================

* HANG - Hang has two different meanings. The first is "to attach (or hang) something in a high position" (e.g. on the wall or on a hook). In this case we use the above verbs Hang-Hung-Hung.

BUT when Hang means "to kill someone by putting a rope around someone's neck and leaving them in a high position without any support", we use different verbs: Hang-Hanged-hanged. This verb is typical of public executions in the past. (e.g. They hanged him in the main square.)

** LIE - Lie has two meanings. When it means "to put your body in a horizontal position" (normally on a bed) it uses the Lie-Lay-Lain verbs.

BUT it is regular Lie-Lied-Lied when it has the other meaning of "not to say the truth".  [Etienne - for 4 thousand years Indo-Europeans have been able to properly distinguish between these two usages, but Americans in the last 40 years have seemingly lost this ability.]

(https://www.grammar.cl/Past/Irregular_Verbs_List.htm)
-----

I'll mention another more common problem. The infinitive. This is the "to [verb]"
form, such as "I want *to* eat lunch" or "I will try *to* ignore bad grammar".
So many people say the illogical "I will try *and* do something"; this would
imply that you can read the future because you are starting that you *will*
in fact do something instead of just "trying" to do something.  

Here's another problem to mention.  It's not "where you *at*?".  It is
entirely sufficient, and always has been, to simply ask "where are you?".  
In general, it is poor English to end a sentence with a proposition.  
In this particular case, it is entirely unnecessary and only serves to
distinguish the talker/writer as poorly grounded in English *fundamentals*.

I could do this all day long.  

It's not "an invite", it's "an invitation".
It's not "he has high compete", it's "he has a high level of competition".

Blah blah blah.

Learn English, folks.  I did.

Edited by etiennep99
  • dislike 1

Frankly IDGAF one bit about spelling or grammar because I know people fat finger the letters on the small phone keyboards or have auto correct screw things up and we live in an acronym, abbreviation world  today etc etc. So if somebody actual cares about that and gets all worked up about it on some internet sports forum it's on them.

Edited by Ross Rhea
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, shrader said:

So here we go:

2. Sticking to the hair theme, a certain large hairy alien regularly talks about things that he/she “would of” done. I can’t even think of some witty way where you could actually use those two words together. Maybe if I would’ve had more sleep last night. 

When I hold a SSer in high regard, I’ll refrain from taking their grammar to task.  @Weave is my boy.  I couldn’t do him like that.  Until now I suppose.  😀

As far as would have, could have, should have.  Ha it autocorrected.  Since when?  Today ?  Anyway, so many people Jack that up that I lost hope a while ago.  

I used to get my panties in a twist over people’s grammar here.  Since, I’ve take a more laid back approach and just kinda snicker when I see it.  If people want to out themselves as poorly educated, have at it.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

When I hold a SSer in high regard, I’ll refrain from taking their grammar to task.  @Weave is my boy.  I couldn’t do him like that.  Until now I suppose.  😀

As far as would have, could have, should have.  Ha it autocorrected.  Since when?  Today ?  Anyway, so many people Jack that up that I lost hope a while ago.  

I used to get my panties in a twist over people’s grammar here.  Since, I’ve take a more laid back approach and just kinda snicker when I see it.  If people want to out themselves as poorly educated, have at it.  

and the ignorance and arrogance around here is a whole nother story.

• Haha (+1) 1

The only poster that drives me mad when they make simple spelling/grammatical errors is me.  I hate having that "edited by" tag because I typed "lost" when I mean "loss" but I'd rather fix the typo than show what an ignorant lout I am. 

Actually I blame my fingers:  I have thoughts in my head and my fingers just type them out; I don't always catch the little mistakes they make.  I've come to realize that a lot of us do the same so it's hard to get mad at others; I try to focus on the thought rather than the mistakes.

One other thought that occurs to me- not so much on this forum, as those who are in other countries seem to have excellent written English skills, but on my local Nextdoor page, a lot of my neighbors are from Latin American countries and they really struggle with spelling, tenses, etc.  I have to remind myself that they are communicating in a language that in many cases they were thrust into and have had to learn on the fly, and for all their errors I realize they're doing much better than if I had to suddenly start writing in Spanish.

So we all have our stories; I try not to hold it against people.  Except @Buffalonill.  That guy........ sheesh.

Edited by Doohickie
I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

51 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Here's another problem to mention.  It's not "where you *at*?".  It is
entirely sufficient, and always has been, to simply ask "where are you?".  
In general, it is poor English to end a sentence with a proposition.  
In this particular case, it is entirely unnecessary and only serves to
distinguish the talker/writer as poorly grounded in English *fundamentals*.

I could do this all day long.  

Reminds me of a joke on House of Cards. Setting is a college dorm.  "Hi. Where y'all from?" Girl from Connecticut says, "We're from a place where we know not to end a sentence with a preposition." The girl from Georgia says, "Oh, beg my pardon. Where y'all from...c*nt?"

Written presumably by a cultural elite. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, inkman said:

Lol

I am very aware that I make grammatical errors that would make my old English teachers cringe.  Usually it is sentence structure issues.  I’d like to think I handle the basic grammatical stuff properly.  Then again, I tend to put about as much effort into my posts as the Sabres do on a Tuesday night home game in December. So 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1