(OT) Common Sabrespace Typos and Poor Grammar That Drive You Mad

shrader

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Already covered.

I guess add "answering a thread with something that has already been said" to the list of TAC pet peeves. 

This actually drives me crazy sometimes. On TBD it seems like every single day  Stefon Diggs cap situation needs to be reexplained.

Poster: "He can't be moved. We only have $5M in space"...
Mango: (quote and respond) "Well actually it only costs us $3M more. He is $28M on the roster $31M off of it. I am not arguing for it but if the Bills want it can be done". 
Same Poster 2 hours later responding to somebody else: "He can't be moved we only have $5M in space and his dead cap is $31M"

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Holy wow, Ba'man! I tried a few of the words and if you listen closely to yourself and are honest with yourself, you might realize that you are NOT actually making a real "t" sound in "kitten" ... mind. blown. 🤯

I watch some YouTube videos on language from time to time.  I think accents are pretty interesting.  One guy I was watching pointed out words/sounds that British actors playing American characters pronounce in their native accent, so you can tell they're not really American.  The first step for a Brit to speak in an American accent is to pronounce the R's the way Americans do, instead of in the non-rhotic style of Received Pronunciation (the English taught to the upper classes).  Then there are various vowel shifts.  But there are other tells that British actors usually get wrong.

There's also the "American Rock and Roll Accent" sung by people all over the world.  It sounds American, but it's not really the way people speak in the U.S. if you listen closely.  For instance, in Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" he doesn't really sing the R in Born.  In a singing voice where a note is held, the R is minimized or even omitted. 

I could go on, but if you're interested you can find videos about language an accents on YouTube.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I watch some YouTube videos on language from time to time.  I think accents are pretty interesting.  One guy I was watching pointed out words/sounds that British actors playing American characters pronounce in their native accent, so you can tell they're not really American.  The first step for a Brit to speak in an American accent is to pronounce the R's the way Americans do, instead of in the non-rhotic style of Received Pronunciation (the English taught to the upper classes).  Then there are various vowel shifts.  But there are other tells that British actors usually get wrong.

There's also the "American Rock and Roll Accent" sung by people all over the world.  It sounds American, but it's not really the way people speak in the U.S. if you listen closely.  For instance, in Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" he doesn't really sing the R in Born.  In a singing voice where a note is held, the R is minimized or even omitted. 

I could go on, but if you're interested you can find videos about language an accents on YouTube.

I'm watching House again from the beginning. Hugh Laurie was brilliant IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It seems to me that a lot (<--misspelled often alert) of internet spelling and grammatical errors are really just an extension of some of this. It is actually far more effort to properly pronounce "but-ter" than it is to quickly utter "budduh". But, sometimes full pronunciation helps. Similar to online forums, casual texts, emails, and work email ... if the point I wish to make requires some thought, I try to spell out words and make reasonably complete sentences. If it is a quick text on whether or not I am going to do something, "bet" is a very adequate reply.

Same with typing here - it is just easier to type "wanna" vs "want to" (honestly, same with speaking). If I am telling one of my shittastic suppliers at work they suck, I would type "I don't want to have to tell you this again ..." Anyway (<-- not "anyways"), I find language and communication styles fascinating, not something to lord (should that be a capital "L"? probs not) over others. If someone can understand your point, you did your job. (Not directed at the chickenhead guy).

• Agree 1

This just in... Then is up three games to one on than (for example better then Vancouver). I'd say this applies mostly to written English. However I've started to notice it in spoken English too.

Language evolves. Nothin ya can do.

Preppahs to the bunkah! The end is nigh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Oh, this one only bothers me because I never know which one is correct and from what I remember from googling it and giving up, the rules are complicated:

Less vs Fewer

I'll see it in a post, make immediate judgements about the poster, then realize I have no clue if it is actually correct, remember what a headache I got last time I tried to figure it out, and decide not to care because I know what the poster is trying to say.

the overuse of the word literally . It's used all the time and incorrectly

3 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Oh, this one only bothers me because I never know which one is correct and from what I remember from googling it and giving up, the rules are complicated:

Less vs Fewer

I'll see it in a post, make immediate judgements about the poster, then realize I have no clue if it is actually correct, remember what a headache I got last time I tried to figure it out, and decide not to care because I know what the poster is trying to say.

I use fewer when you can count it....fewer cars and less traffic. You wouldn't said less cars

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

the overuse of the word literally . It's used all the time and incorrectly

I use fewer when you can count it....fewer cars and less traffic. You wouldn't said less cars

Maybe you and I wouldn't ... but plenty of other people 'round these here parts think differently 😉

12 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Less vs Fewer

This one used to bother me too, but the rules have evolved.  Fewer generally refers to plural nouns and less refers to collective nouns.  But it's now acceptable usage to use less with plural nouns, mostly because many people do it.

When half the class moved out of state he had fewer pupils.

When half the class moved out of state he had less pupils.  <---sounds awful to me but is acceptable.

• Agree 1

It's only a matter of time until we delve into pronouns.  Nonbinary people will frequently express a preference for they/their.  It sounds weird because that's a plural pronoun used to refer to a singular person.  Does that person have multiple personalities or what?  It never feels right when I use they/their for a single person.

The Billy Joel song Allentown makes me cringe:
Every child had a pretty good shot
To get at least as far as their old man got

The switch from singular subject (child) in the first line to the plural pronoun (their) in the second line is just.... well, it's incorrect, right?

But English has already traveled down this road.  There is something called the Royal We where, when monarchs refers to themselves in first person, will use "we" instead of "I".  "What shall We decide?"  I think it comes from the fact that the monarch represented the body of the state, the entire country, so using "we" means "the whole country and I". 

"You" used to be the same way; it was the second-person version of "we."  The singular was "thou", the plural was "you."  "You" was used to address kings, nobles, aristocrats and... eventually just as a formal greeting, since it sounds more respectful that "thou."  Eventually "thou" was dropped altogether and we're left with only the pronoun that originally referred to the plural case.

So while it feels odd now, the use of they/their to refer to a singular case is not without precedent.

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's only a matter of time until we delve into pronouns.  Nonbinary people will frequently express a preference for they/their.  It sounds weird because that's a plural pronoun used to refer to a singular person.  Does that person have multiple personalities or what?  It never feels right when I use they/their for a single person.

The Billy Joel song Allentown makes me cringe:
Every child had a pretty good shot
To get at least as far as their old man got

The switch from singular subject (child) in the first line to the plural pronoun (their) in the second line is just.... well, it's incorrect, right?

But English has already traveled down this road.  There is something called the Royal We where, when monarchs refers to themselves in first person, will use "we" instead of "I".  "What shall We decide?"  I think it comes from the fact that the monarch represented the body of the state, the entire country, so using "we" means "the whole country and I". 

"You" used to be the same way; it was the second-person version of "we."  The singular was "thou", the plural was "you."  "You" was used to address kings, nobles, aristocrats and... eventually just as a formal greeting, since it sounds more respectful that "thou."  Eventually "thou" was dropped altogether and we're left with only the pronoun that originally referred to the plural case.

So while it feels odd now, the use of they/their to refer to a singular case is not without precedent.

I am not great at this stuff (grammar or the non-binary stuff. I fully support a person's right to be referred to as they please, I just struggle to relate since it does not apply to me, so it is not always at the front of my brain) - but they/their are not exclusively plural. The lyric you quoted is, I think, absolutely correct - just not commonly used. 

Example: "My buddy (Tim or Tara) from work was saying (insert hott goss here). Then, they told me about (something even juicier)" I am relatively sure that is correct. The buddy's name/gender (and thus the their traditional male/female pronoun) is irrelevant.

To the bold, I think it sounds weird because growing up we were taught and use he/she, him/her - etc. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Anyway (<-- not "anyways")

I think that might be the most common one out there these days. I’d say that this one kills me, but apparently a few people out there take things a bit too literally (that one’s for you @nucci).

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

Nah.  By saying you could care less, that is displaying a level of care. And that’s the opposite of what you’re trying to say.  

But when people say either one, the intent is the same, regardless of the semantics.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Holy wow, Ba'man! I tried a few of the words and if you listen closely to yourself and are honest with yourself, you might realize that you are NOT actually making a real "t" sound in "kitten" ... mind. blown. 🤯

Yeah this ***** started in the mid nineties with every white person trying to sound like Eminem.  So instead of enunciating the “t” in words like kitten, they use lazy English and say “kih’ en”.  Anytime I hear anyone talk like that, unless they are from Britain, I lose every ounce of respect for that person.  

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm watching House again from the beginning. Hugh Laurie was brilliant IMHO.

The premise of a genius pill popping MD is a little off putting reflecting on the show.  I watched it in a previous life.