Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Right. But that shouldn’t even be a remote factor in determining whether it was wrong for Adams to not sign him. And I think it is for some around here given the “bad look for KA” posts I’ve seen. Thus the question I posed.

I think it looks bad only for the reason that if they don't use some of their cap space to pick up someone before the season ends (even a rental at the trade deadline) to help them on the ice, then I will have a hard time being convinced that they are actually trying to make the playoffs this year. Now, if they are solidly in a playoff position at the deadline then,... well, I would still want them to pick someone up.

10 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't get that...the "looks bad for KA" stuff here and all over Twitter.  So the Sabres are making a move that is likely good for the current team by passing on him, but some people are just looking for anything to support their narrative that will they take something that is just (Likely) wrong so they can say what they want to say.

Wouldn’t that be an assumption that the Sabres passed on him? it a good possibility that he passed on the Sabres.  Who knows. we just know that KA seems to not bring in high quality veterans and that is interesting. I wonder if that’s a conscious decision or if he tries and no one bites because of whatever reason. I’m sure Buffalo is still on many players NTC 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think it looks bad only for the reason that if they don't use some of their cap space to pick up someone before the season ends (even a rental at the trade deadline) to help them on the ice, then I will have a hard time being convinced that they are actually trying to make the playoffs this year. Now, if they are solidly in a playoff position at the deadline then,... well, I would still want them to pick someone up.

I agree, but imo, they need a solid D man addition far more than forward help given the inevitable return of Tage and Quinn. And if they do feel they need the forward help instead, they were correct in not signing a huge question mark like Kane. I’ll need to see him play a while upon his return from major hip surgery before saying we screwed the pooch in not signing him. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sidc3000 said:

Wouldn’t that be an assumption that the Sabres passed on him? it a good possibility that he passed on the Sabres.  Who knows. we just know that KA seems to not bring in high quality veterans and that is interesting. I wonder if that’s a conscious decision or if he tries and no one bites because of whatever reason. I’m sure Buffalo is still on many players NTC 

Kane may no longer be that “solid veteran” as he was in a decline well before requiring his recent hip surgery. Questioning his current status is a legitimate concern. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Am I the only one who just does not give a flying ############## ##### ##### ####### ######## that Kane is from Buffalo? Like why should I care? Adams needs to find another middle 6 forward, so idc where they were born as long as they are competent. 

You most certainly are not alone in not giving a crap that Kane is from Buffalo.

The middle six forward issue will resolve when Tage and Quinn return to the lineup, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Am I the only one who just does not give a flying ############## ##### ##### ####### ######## that Kane is from Buffalo? Like why should I care? Adams needs to find another middle 6 forward, so idc where they were born as long as they are competent. 

Hmmm, seems to me you were all in with them when they made a big deal about Tuch but whatever, you can change your ###### stance whenever you want, it's allowed,  it's just the internet. 

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hmmm, seems to me you were all in with them when they made a big deal about Tuch but whatever, you can change your ###### stance whenever you want, it's allowed,  it's just the internet. 

There is a difference: Tuch wears his Sabres fandom on his uniform and is one of the kinds of players that the Sabres need more of.

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sigh, Tuch is from Syracuse and that doesn't really matter. 

Also no I didn't. Stop trying to pick fights with me, it's boring.

• Haha (+1) 1

Apparently Kane turned down numerous multi year deals. He wanted one year to assess where he was at.

Greg Wyshynski of ESPN reports: 

“This is what Kane wanted. An NHL source told me that Kane had multi-year offers on the table from other teams. But Kane and his representatives wanted a one-year deal and a chance to reevaluate his next steps after this season.”

Edited by Flashsabre

• nfreeman changed the title to Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit
12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Apparently Kane turned down numerous multi year deals. He wanted one year to assess where he was at.

“This is what Kane wanted. An NHL source told me that Kane had multi-year offers on the table from other teams. But Kane and his representatives wanted a one-year deal and a chance to reevaluate his next steps after this season.”

I don't know that I believe that for a second. The player would try to get as much term as he could, the teams would want to limit it to a one year because of the uncertainty of the injury. Sounds like spin from his agent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Fun fact, all the ## in here are just randomly added for effect and don't represent any real words. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

In that case, Adams offered him 25 for 5 and was turned down. 😂

Frankly I don't think it has anything to do with Detroit's start vs Buffalo or anything akin to that. Its entirely about Debrincat. 

Kane will end up playing for 2 other franchises outside Chicago, NYR and DET; both of which had former full time linemates he played with in Chicago and thrived with.

Panarin in NY

Debrincat in DET

If Kane wants to prove he can still play at a high level, it makes sense that he'd want to play with a familiar player he previously had success with and in a sense owes him gratitude. Kane helped put Panarin on the map to which he ran with; Debrincat doesn't get the contract he has now without his multiple years with Kane on diminishing Hawks teams.

The hope for us is that not only does he burn out but takes out Detroit's 1st line in the process. After all, with the Rangers, Panarin overtly tried forcing Kane into offensive play and it hurt their team overall. Literally the 1st two games he played with the Rangers I watched Panarin attempt some absurd passes to Kane even when he had zero need too. Hopefully Debrincat is the same way.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Been saying all along, Kane's camp was floating the Sabres to stoke interest in Patrick. I doubted Adams or Granato ever wanted him. Made no sense.

I think this is probably true. The only thing important was that the fans were made aware there was “effort”.

Best of both worlds in the GM’s mind imo