Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Sure.  But its more about the perception of the Sabres.  

Perception is reality. 

Perception is popular sentiment.

Have rarely given a rat's bippy about popular sentiment.  But in this instance we are left doubling down on the hope that Adams' assessment of whether/how much Kane could help the Sabres was wrong.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Perception is popular sentiment.

Have rarely given a rat's bippy about popular sentiment.  But in this instance we are left doubling down on the hope that Adams' assessment of whether/how much Kane could help the Sabres was wrong.

Well, you have heard Adams talk about deals he could not make.  I think that trading for vet player with a NMC is really hard and that Buffalo is a still a no-go destination for many players.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well, you have heard Adams talk about deals he could not make.  I think that trading for vet player with a NMC is really hard and that Buffalo is a still a no-go destination for many players.   

Ah, apologies.  Thought you were referring to perception of the masses (fans, whatever you want to call them), not the players.

IMHO, that perception changes once they've made the playoffs again.  (And ONLY getting to the playoffs will change it.)  And it likely doesn't change until they've done it 3 times in a 3-4 year stretch.  And then, miraculously, players elsewhere will start listening to Tuch, Dahlin, and Cozens when they talk about what a great place Buffalo is to play.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

Boy does Patrick Kane suck after that hip surgery. I am soooo glad that the Sabres didn’t sign him because he would not have help them at all 😂 

he definitely new something and that’s why he didn’t sign with the Sabres. 

Not necessarily, but I think maybe we overplay his childhood connection and he may have been more interested in locating closer to where he actually lives. That, and his presumed friendship with DeBrincat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Great teams are always looking to make them themselves better...... mediocre teams follow the status quo.....Even now this team is still in the hunt with a ton of trade capital to improve this team and we are status quo. That's why it will be 16 years until we make the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

Boy does Patrick Kane suck after that hip surgery. I am soooo glad that the Sabres didn’t sign him because he would not have help them at all 😂 

he definitely new something and that’s why he didn’t sign with the Sabres. 

He probably knew not to sign with this tire fire organization 

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If we get rid of Skinner I'm all for it

Big if on getting rid of Skinner but Kane was really good coming off a serious hip surgery. He will probably be better next year with a summer of training. Give him a 2 year deal to finish off his career at home.

So the Wings were smart to lock $30M into Debrincat, Copp, Compher, Chariot, Holl and Husso to not make the playoffs?

And Kane “knew something” because he picked the 41-win Wings over the 39-win Sabres?

🤔

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So the Wings were smart to lock $30M into Debrincat, Copp, Compher, Chariot, Holl and Husso to not make the playoffs?

And Kane “knew something” because he picked the 41-win Wings over the 39-win Sabres?

🤔

They jumped over the Sabres and got closer, really close, and they didn't sell off picks/prospects to do it. I'd say that was a small success. I don't watch them enough to know much more. 

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

🤔

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They jumped over the Sabres and got closer, really close, and they didn't sell off picks/prospects to do it. I'd say that was a small success. I don't watch them enough to know much more. 

Both teams were garbage 

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Both teams were garbage 

You can definitely say that, and so anyone who doesn't make the playoffs is "garbage" and that's a valid place to draw the line but I would say they made progress. They were better than the year before. Not good enough, but better. We were not better. We were one point out so anything but playoffs was failure. You can say we were the same, but that's still not "better".  

Every year you should be better than the year before until you win the cup. That's the measure of success for me. It's often not as fast as a fan would like, but if it's progress it's a measure of success. 

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The wings were horrible down the stretch.  I talk regularly to a wings fan and there was no feeling of success for them either, despite their 2 additional wins. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

The wings were horrible down the stretch.  I talk regularly to a wings fan and there was no feeling of success for them either, despite their 2 additional wins. 

I can see that for them. They had a horrible losing skid and couldn't get out of it. Same for Philly. Number of reasons for both teams, but they both cracked under the pressure and the harder hockey often played near the end of the year for actual contenders (or pretenders). 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

🤔

I mean, if he was picking between the two and the deciding factor was who was more likely to make it, Detroit was far far closer than we were. And make it if Larkin returns from injury a game sooner 

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I mean, if he was picking between the two and the deciding factor was who was more likely to make it, Detroit was far far closer than we were. And make it if Larkin returns from injury a game sooner 

Far, far closer isn’t how I would describe it.

And one could suggest the difference was Kane himself.

One good thing about this season is that I’ve grown to hate Detroit.

Previously they’ve never even felt like a division rival.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Far, far closer isn’t how I would describe it.

And one could suggest the difference was Kane himself.

One good thing about this season is that I’ve grown to hate Detroit.

Previously they’ve never even felt like a division rival.

NHL players barely contribute 3.5 wins themselves over a season never mind a much shorter stretch. They finished 7 points ahead of us, and sat in an actual playoff spot almost the entire year. That’s FAR more significant than a late season charge like last year to “remain in it”. It was never mathematically likely we’d make the playoffs at any point either year after like January. This year was like October. They were far far closer imo, yes

they still suck. The wings. They couldn’t make the playoffs with a what, 91 point cut off? A bad team made the playoffs, the cut off this year was “be the best bad team”. Anyone that missed stinks, yes

Edited by Thorny

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

🤔

I’m fairly certain there are players on that list above SS was clamoring for to add “veteran grit”. Even a goalie too. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can see that for them. They had a horrible losing skid and couldn't get out of it. Same for Philly. Number of reasons for both teams, but they both cracked under the pressure and the harder hockey often played near the end of the year for actual contenders (or pretenders). 

I was very surprised to see the Wings go into that slump since they had Kane and he knows how to win.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I was very surprised to see the Wings go into that slump since they had Kane and he knows how to win.

Well he played well through it but I think the Larkin injury really hurt them and the goaltending. Much like the Sabres, they are not very deep at this point. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well he played well through it but I think the Larkin injury really hurt them and the goaltending. Much like the Sabres, they are not very deep at this point. 

Nah you only need players that “know how to win”. Having talent and being healthy don’t mean a thing.  You can just insert any player into the lineup as long as they “know how to win”.  🙄

• Like (+1) 1