Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

That made me laugh. He would absolutely crack the top 6 if he comes anywhere close to what he use to play like. The Ref Wings are 10th in the league so it could be that they are better than the Sabres. 

Probably, although on the Sabres does he push down Tuch or JJP (or Quinn when he's back)? I don't know at his current age that's a slam dunk to replace any of them. Especially with the Buffalo "play the kids" Sabres.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

Going to Detroit to be with his buddy Debrincat.

It didn’t make a ton of sense for him to sign here. Sabres are a real mixed bag right now from night to night.  With Tage and Quinn coming back I don’t know where he would fit honestly. Detroit is close, his buddy is there, and they have been more consistently competitive this year compared to Buffalo.

10 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

That made me laugh. He would absolutely crack the top 6 if he comes anywhere close to what he use to play like.

It all depends on chemistry.  For instance if Detroit has a top six that's working as well as Skins-Tage/Mitts-Tuch and Quinn-Cozens-JJP were working last year, Kane might not break into that.  Also, if Kane is a 1-year rental, you're not going to change your lineup that significantly to accommodate him.  I don't think any team that considered signing him would consider him part of their core.

4 minutes ago, MattPie said:

TIL the owner of the Red Wings also founded Little Caesars. huh.

In any case, Detroit has their own style pizza (obvs you know this Doohickie), it's a little thicker than Buffalo, Focaccia crust, and usually square. It's probably descendant of Sicilian.

Actually it's the family of the founder of Little Caesar's.  Mike Ilitch himself passed away in 2017.  Little Caesar's is a national-ish chain (not as big as Dominoes which is based in SE MI as well), but I would say their pizza is a higher quality in the Detroit area than it is in, say, Texas where I live now.  Their standard pizza is the generic round but they also sell Detroit square pizza which is kind of deep dishy and has toppings all the way out to edge (no crust). 

Ilitch occupied much the same position in Detroit as Pegula does in Buffalo.  The Ilitch family owns both the Wings and Tigers and have been a factor in revitalizing downtown Detroit (new arena and stadium).  He also had a few other philanthropic pursuits that he didn't talk much about; when he died it came out that when Rosa Parks (civil rights pioneer) fell on hard times, he paid for her apartment until she passed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

Wouldn’t have been a good signing for the Sabres but it’s a bad look for Adams that he wasn’t able to convince Kane to join the team.

It’s a bad look for Adams by avoiding a bad signing by Adams? The rule of double negatives applies. Well done, Adams. 

On a serious note, why should we assume Adams did much of anything in the way of convincing Kane when the cons for signing him far outweigh the pros? 

Interesting.  So probably either no real contender wanted him or would pay him a comparable amount.

I know he is a big name and has had a great career, so it’s newsworthy, but I’m pretty skeptical that he is going to make a difference.  Maybe he can help a power play, but I doubt he is helpful at even strength.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It all depends on chemistry.  For instance if Detroit has a top six that's working as well as Skins-Tage/Mitts-Tuch and Quinn-Cozens-JJP were working last year, Kane might not break into that.  Also, if Kane is a 1-year rental, you're not going to change your lineup that significantly to accommodate him.  I don't think any team that considered signing him would consider him part of their core.

Actually it's the family of the founder of Little Caesar's.  Mike Ilitch himself passed away in 2017.  Little Caesar's is a national-ish chain (not as big as Dominoes which is based in SE MI as well), but I would say their pizza is a higher quality in the Detroit area than it is in, say, Texas where I live now.  Their standard pizza is the generic round but they also sell Detroit square pizza which is kind of deep dishy and has toppings all the way out to edge (no crust). 

Ilitch occupied much the same position in Detroit as Pegula does in Buffalo.  The Ilitch family owns both the Wings and Tigers and have been a factor in revitalizing downtown Detroit (new arena and stadium).  He also had a few other philanthropic pursuits that he didn't talk much about; when he died it came out that when Rosa Parks (civil rights pioneer) fell on hard times, he paid for her apartment until she passed.

Sounds like Terry.

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Kane obviously “doesn’t want to be here” with this signing.  I hope the Sabres FO remembers this over the summer and doesn’t sign him.  

He would have been a good depth piece to add this year to help on the PP and add some experience, but there should be better players available over the summer.  

He has to make the decision... If he was going to be just a 'depth piece' here, all the reason why he may not want to be here. I think wherever he goes he's going to want to get meaningful minutes.

As armchair GM's, a lot of us may have wanted him as a depth piece, but he's the one making that decision, not us.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Sounds like Terry.

Actually Terry cited Mike Ilitch as a role model with respect to how he built the Red Wings in the 1990s.  Note that the Wings won their first Ilitch-era Cup 15 years after he bought the team.  If you're following along the Detroit timeline, UPL is Tim Cheveldae and Levi is Chris Osgood.  We don't have our Mike Vernon yet.

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I am very curious as to the term of an agreement that he signs.  Wondering if Detroit was willing to give 3 or more years to get him onboard.

johnny depp ew GIF

Edited by Doohickie

1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

That made me laugh. He would absolutely crack the top 6 if he comes anywhere close to what he use to play like. 

Isn’t that the entire crux of the argument that seems to be getting ignored by most fans?  He'll defy some serious odds of he returns to that form.  

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Pizza: that's good, because the pizza I've had from LC is straight up bad.

Parks: that's amazing.

I have zero inside information, but I don't think the Sabres made a big push for Kane.  They may have kicked the tires a bit, but he's really not what they need right now.  He's an undersized skill player on the downside of his career.  No doubt he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he didn't do much in Chicago or New York last season.  Despite his track record of playoff success, he didn't help the Rangers, who got bounced in the first round.  The Sabres have lots of undersized skill players who are emerging young guys.  The Sabres need a big, gritty, sandpaper veteran forward.  If Kane was not from the Buffalo area, I really don't think he'd even be in the conversation.

A much better "get" for the Sabres would be Kane's former running-mate in Chicago, Jonathan Toews.  He's a great faceoff guy (a huge need for the Sabres) and a great leader/character guy with a Stanley Cup pedigree that might really help Okposo mentor the young guys.  From an article in The Athletic:

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Can Toews still play in the NHL?

Absolutely. Even at age 35, even with his two-way game in steep decline, and even with all his health issues, he’d be a pretty darn good bottom-six center for a contending team, a guy who could play 15 minutes a night and either kill penalties or play down low on the power play (likely not both anymore, though). Yes, he’s a shell of the player he once was, but he still had a respectable 15 goals and 31 points in 53 games last season, often playing alongside AHL-level talent. And regardless of how much he can produce, you can be sure there are general managers and coaches around the league that would love to have Toews’ leadership and experience in their locker rooms. Few players carry as much respect within the league as Toews does.

Another statistic I found:

Jonathan Toews had the highest faceoff win percentage with more than 75 faceoffs in 2022-23, at 63.1 percent won.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Now?   They have been a rebuild rival all along.  We have to beat them out to get ourselves in. 

Kane has nothing to do with that. 

Detroit was lower than Ottawa on my rebuild rivals list. They have now moved into a tie.

I’ve never been a Kane fan, now I can cheer against him for a while longer.