Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit

Brawndo

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

Can Toews still play in the NHL?

Absolutely. Even at age 35, even with his two-way game in steep decline, and even with all his health issues, he’d be a pretty darn good bottom-six center for a contending team, a guy who could play 15 minutes a night and either kill penalties or play down low on the power play (likely not both anymore, though). Yes, he’s a shell of the player he once was, but he still had a respectable 15 goals and 31 points in 53 games last season, often playing alongside AHL-level talent. And regardless of how much he can produce, you can be sure there are general managers and coaches around the league that would love to have Toews’ leadership and experience in their locker rooms. Few players carry as much respect within the league as Toews does.

Another statistic I found:

Jonathan Toews had the highest faceoff win percentage with more than 75 faceoffs in 2022-23, at 63.1 percent won.

I was talking about him in the summer, before he announced he wasn’t going to play this season.

He could’ve been load managed to keep him fresh. He would help the PK and teach these guys how to win draws.

2 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

Who? If Patrick Kane doesn’tu want to sign with the Sabres, who would want to sign with them? Could he have concerns about the Sabres that we don’t know about? 

This, I believe, is the correct take. He wanted to be here, Buffalo offered the most money, and he chose someone the Sabres are competing with.

I had doubts of what kind of fir he was, don’t like him personally, and am not sure he’s what they want in the locker room, but him going there is an embarrassment to the front office.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Detroit was lower than Ottawa on my rebuild rivals list. They have now moved into a tie.

I’ve never been a Kane fan, now I can cheer against him for a while longer.

Detroit is currently 3 points ahead of Buffalo with 2 games in hand.  

Edited by Pimlach

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not so sure about that.

Doohickie are you suggesting that LC pizza in Detroit is better than in other parts of our nation?

I stated that plainly, yes.  Both the basic pizza is better, plus they have more specialty pizzas (like the Detroit style).  I've seen Detroit style advertised here in Texas but I don't think it's a regular option.

When we lived in Detroit, LC was our go-to.  It was quick, cheap, and good.  When they opened up here in Texas it was disappointing.... although still quick and cheap.  I don't really pay attention to them anymore though; we have a good Buffalo style pizza option and that's mostly what I get.

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

him going there is an embarrassment to the front office.

Why?  He's not part of the future for Buffalo.  He's not part of the present in terms of what the Sabres need, and it's highly uncertain how long he will be able to play.  I don't think Kevyn gave him any more than a cursory look.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm okay with this. I don't think he'd have made a huge transformation in the team. Maybe, but who knows. And how much did we offer him or did he want from Buffalo? We will probably never know. And his value at this point is questionable. 

Everyone wants a trade for more talent and certainly the bottom 6 is looking very weak with the injuries to Quinn and Tage. And now Girgs (though I don't think he's an answer there and we need to move on after this season). I'd be okay with a 2024 February trade depending on where we are in the standings. I don't want to trade away talent if we are well down at that point. Let's see where we are mid January and what the team is playing like at that point, imo. 

Edited by FrenchConnection44

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

TIL the owner of the Red Wings also founded Little Caesars. huh.

In any case, Detroit has their own style pizza (obvs you know this Doohickie), it's a little thicker than Buffalo, Focaccia crust, and usually square. It's probably descendant of Sicilian.

Did not know that either. Would explain why their arena is covered in little Caesar’s ads and they serve it at concession stands. I just thought they were a huge sponsor of them. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

If this dude was from Wisconsin, does this signing even get noticed?

Well, Kane is #42 all-time in scoring, he's won 3 Cups and a Conn Smythe and he had 92 pts 2 seasons ago before his injury.  When a guy like that joins a new team during the season as a FA, it's noteworthy.   

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This, I believe, is the correct take. He wanted to be here, Buffalo offered the most money, and he chose someone the Sabres are competing with.

I had doubts of what kind of fir he was, don’t like him personally, and am not sure he’s what they want in the locker room, but him going there is an embarrassment to the front office.

If the bolded assumptions are correct, then I agree that this is a loss to the FO.  It's not a huge loss, and will be forgotten quickly if Kane is cooked, but for now it sure looks like Kane decided that the Red Wings are simply in better shape than the Sabres are, and likely by a significant margin.

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So can we trade for an Actually legit NHL forward now or are we going to keep Shuffle around with rookies and miss the playoffs 

The Sabres are near the top of the teams able to take on salary. KA has not weaponized his past pile of cap space, maybe this year, since he said the playoffs were the goal.

Kane is washed, especially coming off hip surgery.

I remember when Bogo cam back from his hip surgery, he was awful for a good 8-12 months... slow, stiff, couldn't pivot, etc... it took him a good 16 months to regain form.

I doubt Buffalo even reach out to him.... they're not a sluggish Patrick Kane away from contending.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

But, he is from Buffalo.

Right. But that shouldn’t even be a remote factor in determining whether it was wrong for Adams to not sign him. And I think it is for some around here given the “bad look for KA” posts I’ve seen. Thus the question I posed.

• Agree 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Right. But that shouldn’t even be a remote factor in determining whether it was wrong for Adams to not sign him. And I think it is for some around here given the “bad look for KA” posts I’ve seen. Thus the question I posed.

I don't get that...the "looks bad for KA" stuff here and all over Twitter.  So the Sabres are making a move that is likely good for the current team by passing on him, but some people are just looking for anything to support their narrative that will they take something that is just (Likely) wrong so they can say what they want to say.

• Like (+1) 1