Report: Patrick Kane is signing with Detroit

Brawndo

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK, but that doesn't answer the question as to whether you think they made an offer. 

The key point I and others have made is that it seems pretty certain that the Sabres made him an offer, which he rejected in favor of another team's offer -- most likely because he thinks the Wings are a better team than the Sabres. 

Do you disagree with that point?  Do you think they made him an offer or not? 

I do agree. It's more likely that an offer was made. Probably only for a year. Apparently that's all that was offered by any team. (I'm assuming there were more than just Buffalo and Detroit.) 

Wasn't there a report weeks back that Kane wanted a multi year deal?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To what level, though? Sign at any cost or offer a 1yr incentive-laden deal? There's a lot of interpretation to that word.

Though he's 35, he wasn't 35 at the end of the last league year, so he didn't qualify for a 1 year incentivized deal for this contract because of age and he played 73 games last year so he didn't come close to missing 100 days on IR last year and he didn't qualify for a 1 year incentivized deal of this contract because of injury status either.

He should be eligible for a bonus laden 1 year deal next year, should he and a team decide they want to sign/offer one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Unless it’s what the player wants.  Kane may have preferred a 1 yr deal.  It gives him more flexibility.

Anything is possible. Kane might have asked for nights off when Taylor Swift is performing. No way to know.

But most aging players want to get one last big payday. Considering his surgery it's hard for me to fathom him turning down a multi-year deal.  What's the longest any NHL player played after a hip resurfacing surgery? Ed Jovanovski is the record holder at 36 games.

1 hour ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Can we blame him the Buffalo Sabres are a messed up organization that is looking at 13 years and counting with no playoffs. That doesn’t say sign with the Buffalo Sabres. Sell the Buffalo Sabres Terry Pegula in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I wonder if Kane took a look at Rochester's facilities, knowing that a two-week conditioning assignment was in his future and said "no way, that's from the 1970s".

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Again, Adams doesn't spell out the level of his interest. Very interested could still mean a one-year deal. And it looks like those were the only offers Kane was getting so he went to Detroit because his old teammate is there. Then his agent came out with the comical "we declined longer contracts" spin.

I believe the Sabres and some other teams were willing to do a two year deal early in the process, once Backstrom’s News came out that became a one year offer.  Florida Detroit and the Sabres all made offers but Florida could only come in around 1 million with their cap restrictions. 

Buffalo probably was willing to come in higher, but as you mentioned the lure of playing with Debrincat won out. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Something to note:

Patrick Kane relocated to Detroit to play for Honeybaked during the 2003–04 season (and lived with Pat Verbeek). From there, Kane rebuked the OHL and instead played for the United States National Team Development Program(NTDP), which was based in Michigan until 2006. So he could have been in the OHL for two years, but instead chose USDP in Michigan. He went to the OHL in 2006 and was drafted in 2007. 

Michigan is/was a home for him and he chose that again. It’s reasonable.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Can we blame him the Buffalo Sabres are a messed up organization that is looking at 13 years and counting with no playoffs. That doesn’t say sign with the Buffalo Sabres. Sell the Buffalo Sabres Terry Pegula in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Can we blame Sabres fans for not wanting them to sign an aging, production declining, off ice issue having, perimeter player that they have in droves @ 15 years his junior that aren’t coming off major hip surgery? 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:
16 hours ago, MattPie said:

I wonder if Kane took a look at Rochester's facilities, knowing that a two-week conditioning assignment was in his future and said "no way, that's from the 1970s".

😉

I’m not trying to take this personally because I live in Rochester, but have you been to Grand Rapids lol

Season 3 Yes GIF by The Office