Matt Savoie recalled, Nov 6th, 2023

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Matt Savoie recalled, Nov 6th, 2023

wow...Sabres are playing a lot of *wink wink* to the player games with the injury designations and playing musical chairs.

KA and DG: "Brandon, we really like your game but you are going on IR today."

BB: "What?  Why? I feel fine!"

KA/DG: "No Brandon, you have a lower body injury that is going to need a few weeks to heal."

BB: "What!?  But I was just out there at practice skating around just fine! You saw me coach!"

KA/DG: "Listen, we have to call up Savoie or he has to get sent down to juniors and we don't want to do that.  Don't worry, you are still getting paid at your NHL rate while on IR here. Look at it as a win-win for everyone involved! So if anyone asks, what is the issue?"

BB: "I have a lower body injury that is going to need a few weeks to heal."

KA/DG: "I knew you'd see it our way Brandon!"

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wonder what Biro's injury is?

Hang nail, but they want him to be able to collect the NHL league minimum contract for a few more days before they sent him back down.

22 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Does Biro have to clear waivers again if we sent him back to Rochestor?

Apparently he does in fact have to clear waivers.  The plot thickens.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I have to admit to being a bit confused by this. You haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years so instead of getting some vets to help along the road, you're going to call up 18 and 19 year olds to get you there?? It's like running up the down escalator.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Hang nail, but they want him to be able to collect the NHL league minimum contract for a few more days before they sent him back down.

Apparently he does in fact have to clear waivers.  The plot thickens.

NOT for another 3-ish weeks or 8 more games.  He already cleared waivers when he was sent to Ra-cha-cha the 1st time.

4 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Why not just send Rousek back down then? I guess they want to play him and Savoie?

Because apparently Biro is injured.  They don't need to send Rousek down and the Amerks don't play again until Friday.  Why bother sending him down?

• Like (+1) 1

It seems like a wide group of players auditioning for roles.

Benson, Biro, Rousek and now Savoie. KA wants to see them in NHL action before pulling the trigger on a VO move? VO is not in their plans for this year anymore if he sits while the revolving door of forwards get a look.

Biro and Rousek are more likely to be vying for KO/Girgs/Jost/Krebs roles next year while the others try to get a top 9 spot.

Getting NHL cheques is a bonus for all of these guys, Savoie and Benson can live like kings off of a few paydays when they go back to the WHL.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kulich and Rosen get a look in the New Year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

I have to admit to being a bit confused by this. You haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years so instead of getting some vets to help along the road, you're going to call up 18 and 19 year olds to get you there?? It's like running up the down escalator.

The book is "Up the Down Staircase."  Your sentiment matches the book's.

17 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Jiri Kulich

how high wtf GIF

Kulich will get his chance.  The priorities are the guys who can't play in Rochester; they want them to get a look at the NHL before going back out west.  I give Adams credit for rotating Biro and Rousek through in the midst of that.  Kulich will be up at some point too.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jsb said:

Savoie had to return to the Sabres as he was on a conditioning assignment for 14 days or 5 games whichever occurred first.  While they technically called him up, he’s just returning from where he came, the Sabres roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, inkman said:

Savoie had to return to the Sabres as he was on a conditioning assignment for 14 days or 5 games whichever occurred first.

Or he could be returned to the WHL.  They didn't *have* to call him back to the NHL.

But we all know it's what they want.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.