Matt Savoie recalled, Nov 6th, 2023

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I agree they are evaluating some of these guys.

I don’t see much of a return for VO but maybe San Jose or Chicago could use him to help with their scoring.
Same with Bryson, Johnson could stick around or go back for playing time when Mule returns. Stillman could come up and be 7D in that case.

Whatever can be had for VO/Bryson is OK with me.

If RyJo is a 7D you actually want to play (led team in time played against CAR), you can rotate him through the lineup, giving the other Ds maintenance days to keep them fresher as the season goes along.  I figure Power and Dahlin won't be part of that rotation unless they're dinged up, but it could take the pressure off Muel to be The Man alongside Dahlin and maybe he won't get injured as much.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Correct. I’m really trying to find a list of HCs with multiple SC wins and I just keep coming up with Bowman. But here is a list of coaches with SC appearances coaching different teams, so if other such coaches exist, they’ll be on this list:

IMG_5673.jpeg

None on that list (other than Bowman) has won the cup with 2 different teams.

6 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

None on that list (other than Bowman) has won the cup with 2 different teams.

It is wild. And it looks like the NHL has only one in Scotty Bowman. So, why is this? 

I don’t think a SC or SB win precludes the coach from winning with another team, it’s just that such coaches are usually kept. I’m sure if a SB/SC winning coach was forced to coach for a different team once winning one, he’d likely win another one. But, usually these coaches, who are heavily dependent on their QB (see Belicheck) and stick with them until they are done (see Belicheck). Plus, coaching 2 different HOF QBs in their primes is very unusual. 

25 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I don’t see much of a return for VO but maybe San Jose or Chicago could use him to help with their scoring.
Same with Bryson, Johnson could stick around or go back for playing time when Mule returns. Stillman could come up and be 7D in that case.

Personally, don't see a point to trading Bryson at present.  With his contract, can't see anybody claiming him should he be waived if they in fact are at a point where they would waive him.

He'll bring back nothing in a trade.  

And, if the Sabres end up having an '06 level injury barrage, he's a better 10th choice than Davies or Prow.  (Probably a better 10th choice than Cecconi or the 2 Russians as well at this time.)

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well Savoie is playing quite well with the Amerks during his rehab stint. So there's that. People are calling for Kulich for the same reason.

I don't pay much attention to playing well in the AHL. If we get to see him play an NHL game I will be able to assess him better. Right now he remains a mystery to me. 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

If RyJo is a 7D you actually want to play (led team in time played against CAR), you can rotate him through the lineup, giving the other Ds maintenance days to keep them fresher as the season goes along.  I figure Power and Dahlin won't be part of that rotation unless they're dinged up, but it could take the pressure off Muel to be The Man alongside Dahlin and maybe he won't get injured as much.

I’ll ask in the form of an SAT question.  
RyJo is to Sabrespace as Blank is to Mean Girls?

The answer is Fetch.  It’s just not going to happen. 

2 hours ago, LTS said:

It could, but it also allows them to get a sense of the player's ability to adapt in the NHL which could lead them to making decisions on trades that could help the team. I'm not sure how they are monkeying around at the moment. I think they are prepping to make a move and want a bit more data on what they have.

This is very typical of a team in this situation.

Nice thought, I'd like it to be true, not sure it is. 

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, I have no need for Bryson, VO, Krebs, etc.  I think Johnson has looked good so far, and he is older so that helps even if his years of experience were not in the NHL.  I think they could also move Rosen.  I don't think they'd want to move Kulich. But knowing what Savoie and Benson bring may shake something loose.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nice thought, I'd like it to be true, not sure it is. 

Yeah. That's the problem.  but I can't imagine they see value in players like VO being on the team. I neglected to list Rousek above but I don't see him sticking either. So let someone take a chance on them.  Who knows...

• Like (+1) 1

I think this applies to Benson as much as Savoie, but it's responding to a question about Savoie, so I'll drop it here:

Seth Appert wishes the AHL were an option for a player like Savoie. He thinks the rule between the CHL and NHL is a detriment to the development of high-end players like Savoie who are ready for a step up in competition. Appert thinks that failure in the right environment accelerates development for players who are wired like Savoie and is more than lighting up the scoreboard in junior.

“People think getting a bunch of points is development,” Appert told reporters after Rochester’s win on Friday. “It’s not. Scoring 120, 130 points is not what development is about. Development is about playing at a high level that you’re ready for but it’s high, facing adversity, failing and growing your game through that failure to meet the challenge that the league and your teammates at practice are facing. That’s development.”

Who in Wenatchee is going to challenge Benson and Savoie the way playing against Rasmus Dahlin every day in practice is going to challenge Benson and Savoie?

i think Appert is voicing the philosophy of his bosses. Neither of them are going down for as long as the Sabres can make the roster numbers work.

• Thanks (+1) 1

There is truth to what Appert said, but players do develop even when they go back.  Look at the difference going back made to Reinhart.  He got physically stronger and worked hard on his two way game.  Benson and Savoie could easily do the same.  

Granted, I agree that Savoie and Benson are sticking around until at least Team Canada’s camp opens.  I expect them to send Benson to Rochester on a conditioning assignment if they can swing it.  The Sabres like to control a prospects development plan when it’s feasible.  

I also believe that playing for a variety of different teams over the course of a season can be detrimental to a players development.  Too many possibly conflicting messages. 

There is no right way to do this, but I’m not sure the juggling of the prospects has helped the kids or the Sabres at this point. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think this applies to Benson as much as Savoie, but it's responding to a question about Savoie, so I'll drop it here:

Seth Appert wishes the AHL were an option for a player like Savoie. He thinks the rule between the CHL and NHL is a detriment to the development of high-end players like Savoie who are ready for a step up in competition. Appert thinks that failure in the right environment accelerates development for players who are wired like Savoie and is more than lighting up the scoreboard in junior.

“People think getting a bunch of points is development,” Appert told reporters after Rochester’s win on Friday. “It’s not. Scoring 120, 130 points is not what development is about. Development is about playing at a high level that you’re ready for but it’s high, facing adversity, failing and growing your game through that failure to meet the challenge that the league and your teammates at practice are facing. That’s development.”

Who in Wenatchee is going to challenge Benson and Savoie the way playing against Rasmus Dahlin every day in practice is going to challenge Benson and Savoie?

i think Appert is voicing the philosophy of his bosses. Neither of them are going down for as long as the Sabres can make the roster numbers work.

Isn’t this what we’ve been saying all along? 

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Yeah. That's the problem.  but I can't imagine they see value in players like VO being on the team. I neglected to list Rousek above but I don't see him sticking either. So let someone take a chance on them.  Who knows...

Totally agree but I said a long time ago I didn't think there was much value out there for VO and I got the usual scoffs from (some) people claiming we could move him for first rounder cause "who doesn't want a goal scorer". 10-1 he just falls by the wayside at the end of the year and then maybe somebody like the Sharks gives him a cheap contract or PTO. I wish he had real value, but I really don't think he does. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay. To each his own. But playing well in the AHL beats not playing well.

Agreed, but it also depends on how you define "playing well". Putting up AHL points is not an indicator of NHL readiness. 

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Why waste a game last night if they weren't going to play him.

Am I missing something 

It's not a waste of a game.  First, it sends a message to VO on where he stands with the organization.  Second, it demonstrates that against bigger teams that play a relentless game like the Wild do, Savoie isn't going to survive.  Sadly that's showing true of a few too many players on the team right now, but last nights game tells me Savoie can go back to juniors.

I have no doubt he'll do better against more finesse teams, but unless he does well in all situations there's no point in burning a year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

It's not a waste of a game.  First, it sends a message to VO on where he stands with the organization.  Second, it demonstrates that against bigger teams that play a relentless game like the Wild do, Savoie isn't going to survive.  Sadly that's showing true of a few too many players on the team right now, but last nights game tells me Savoie can go back to juniors.

I have no doubt he'll do better against more finesse teams, but unless he does well in all situations there's no point in burning a year.

It also gives Savoie a look at how much different the NHL game is from the AHL game and the WHL game.

The puck found Savoie a lot in his 3-1/2 minutes of ice time.  He was going to good spots to have the puck come to him.  That's extremely encouraging.  But he put it into a Wild player very often.  (He did get one pass through that hit Krebs in the Buffalo on his chest.  But maybe 2 others got through.  Neither to a teammate in a high danger location.)   He was fairly fortunate to not have had any assists on Wild goals as he set up at least 2 odd man rushes from the Wild blue line.

He's going to be a very good player.  And he'll get another look or 2, but if he plays like he did last night he won't get to 9 games.  It really is a shame he can't stay in Ra-cha-cha this year because that seems to be where he belongs.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It also gives Savoie a look at how much different the NHL game is from the AHL game and the WHL game.

The puck found Savoie a lot in his 3-1/2 minutes of ice time.  He was going to good spots to have the puck come to him.  That's extremely encouraging.  But he put it into a Wild player very often.  (He did get one pass through that hit Krebs in the Buffalo on his chest.  But maybe 2 others got through.  Neither to a teammate in a high danger location.)   He was fairly fortunate to not have had any assists on Wild goals as he set up at least 2 odd man rushes from the Wild blue line.

He's going to be a very good player.  And he'll get another look or 2, but if he plays like he did last night he won't get to 9 games.  It really is a shame he can't stay in Ra-cha-cha this year because that seems to be where he belongs.

Yep, he got stapled to the bench after a promising offensive rush turned into a chance the other way thanks to his bad pass.

Its not usually skill and size that kids struggle with, it’s how fast the holes open and close.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.