Matt Savoie recalled, Nov 6th, 2023

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, jsb said:

I have to admit to being a bit confused by this. You haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years so instead of getting some vets to help along the road, you're going to call up 18 and 19 year olds to get you there?? It's like running up the down escalator.

I too find it a bit odd, but if the results are there from the team at large, I won’t argue with it.

They can run in the mold of the USNTDP for all I care, the only thing that’s relevant to me is that the expectations don’t change - it’s pretty much my only argument I care about. They don’t get to undercut their own artificially by willfully going super young at every opportunity.

When a young player goes in, I choose to believe it’s because they believe it’s cause that player gives them the best chance to win 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m excited to see Savoie get his chance. He is much more prepared for the pro game now then his Amerks playoff run last year. He plays fast, has  great skill and smarts and competes hard. I think he will really benefit Cozens when he is back.

Skinner Tage Tuch

Greenway Mitts Peterka

have been good.  Cozens with Savoie would be the start of a good 3rd line.

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do people honestly believe that Olofsson is a better option to Savoie? 

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seems to me the Sabres simply cannot make up their minds on a lot of these guys and it's likely because a lot of them are very similar. So now Savoie gets his audition I guess. 

I don’t see either of these things.

I think the Sabres came into the season with 11 of 13/14 forward spots set, including Jost as their utility guy.

Olofsson and Benson beat out Kulich, Rosen, Biro and Rousek for the final 2 spots. Savoie was in that mix but missed his chance due to injury.

Olofsson has squandered his chance, Benson got hurt. Savoie is the next guy they want to look at, but they snuck a peek at Rousek and Biro while he finished his conditioning stint.

How well Savoie runs with his opportunity will help decide what comes next.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Savoie had to return to the Sabres as he was on a conditioning assignment for 14 days or 5 games whichever occurred first.  While they technically called him up, he’s just returning from where he came, the Sabres roster. 

The 5 game thing wasn't a thing.  (He played in 6 games in Ra-cha-cha.)  The 5 game limit to a conditioning loan (3 games + an extra 2 games if requested) only pertains to BF-LTIR conditioning loans.  Savoie's was an ordinary conditioning loan which maxes out at 14 days.

• Like (+1) 1

Just for discussion purposes.

Kulich seems to be most controversial in terms of if he’s the guy who’s going to give us the best chance to win, now

The 10 set spots dudacek just mentioned are still there: Skinner/Thompson/Tuch/Peterka/Cozens/Greenway/Mittelstadt/Girgensons/Krebs/Okposo : Okposo had basically just been replaced with Kulich in the tweet, instead. Benson/Savoie swapped. Utility guy Jost finding a regular shift because VO squandered.

Would it be better to have Kulich in for KO?

There’s basically 3 RW spots there I have no idea what to do with/how it will or should shake out, with: Jost, VO, KO, Savoie, and fan favourite Kulich in the mix in theory but maybe Kulich actually isn’t. 

It’ll probably be Jost, KO, Savoie in, but there’s a chance Jost of all people is the only true top 12 guy in the mix among that 5

I would suspect Kulich is the next man up, if/when the Savoie/Benson thing runs it’s course.

At least if we are talking about someone to play with Cozens or Mittelstadt in the middle six.

Although, maybe Rosen is ahead? I’ve not seen full Amerks games so far this year.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

It won't happen unless KO gets hurt or until he reaches 1,000 games played.

A) that sidestepped the question 

B) if KO gets removed after he hits 1000 I will stop watching games this year, that’s my bet with you 

Just now, Doohickie said:

awkward pulp fiction GIF

Haha

im just saying:

A) it absolutely won’t happen 

B) I honestly wouldn’t really have much interest in supporting a team that would be knowingly rostering a player to the detriment of said team, just to get said player an arbitrary milestone. That’s exactly what removing him from the lineup / him stepping away at that point would be saying. So I would actually follow through. But I cannot see that truly happening 

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Pretty sure even if that's true, it could be a paper transaction (he didn't have to actually play for the Sabres before going down).

I guess I should have just said paper transaction as that was all I was trying to convey.  

I feel like I speaking a different language this week and nooo one understands me. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Technically I think he had to return to the Sabres before being sent to junior. 

Couldn't find anything in the CBA stating that he had to be returned to the Sabres before getting sent back to Juniors.  (But didn't look closely at the Articles discussing living arrangements & the like when players are loaned.)

49 minutes ago, inkman said:

I guess I should have just said paper transaction as that was all I was trying to convey.  

I feel like I speaking a different language this week and nooo one understands me. 

You're one of my favoritest posters and I kind of regretted disagreeing with you.  I like to think I wasn't so much disagreeing as I was clarifying.... maybe too pedantically.

Peace, my friend.

• Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Haha

im just saying:

A) it absolutely won’t happen 

B) I honestly wouldn’t really have much interest in supporting a team that would be knowingly rostering a player to the detriment of said team, just to get said player an arbitrary milestone. That’s exactly what removing him from the lineup / him stepping away at that point would be saying. So I would actually follow through. But I cannot see that truly happening 

I could see it as once he hits the milestone he's given maintenance days here and there, and if he did have a nagging injury they wouldn't hurry him back.  But I think both the organization and KO want him to get to 1,000 and I think the rules might change a bit after that milestone.

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I could see it as once he hits the milestone he's given maintenance days here and there, and if he did have a nagging injury they wouldn't hurry him back.  But I think both the organization and KO want him to get to 1,000 and I think the rules might change a bit after that milestone.

Load management so that he is ready for the playoff run is how I would word it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.