Sabres Sign Dahlin to an 8 Year 88 Million Dollar Extension

Brawndo

1 minute ago, repster said:

Any thoughts on the implications for Owen Power’s next contract?

I would say none. Dahlin is coming off a bridge deal and signing *three years removed from his entry level contract.

Power is still in his ELC.  

GMKA did say today they’re open to going long term instead of bridge with Power. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, repster said:

Minor.  It's a different situation.  I expect a bridge deal.

17 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

GMKA did say today they’re open to going long term instead of bridge with Power. 

Yeah, I'm sure GMKA would like that.  If I'm Power's agent I'd be looking for a bridge to get the bigger payday down the road.

Two comments...

1 Even though I'm happy he's signed, this one may set a precedent amongst the players and the days of us getting team friendly deals like the last 3 big ones might be over. 

2 I'm not signing any long term contracts with Power until he shows he can play better defense. Picking up the defensive side of the game can take a few years for a young D, but I wouldn't want to take the risk given what I've seen of him so far. He needs to work on his shot too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

1 Even though I'm happy he's signed, this one may set a precedent amongst the players and the days of us getting team friendly deals like the last 3 big ones might be over. 

I look at it this way:  You're right about the team getting friendly deals going forward, but give Kevyn credit for signing three key pieces long term before the team turned the corner and those assets realized their potential.  It was a bit of a gamble but so far it looks like it's working in the team's favor.  To expect the team to be able to get team-friendly deals indefinitely was never realistic.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Two comments...

2 I'm not signing any long term contracts with Power until he shows he can play better defense. Picking up the defensive side of the game can take a few years for a young D, but I wouldn't want to take the risk given what I've seen of him so far. He needs to work on his shot too.

I agree with what you said to a point …

But if he agrees to a seven or eight year deal at 6 or 7 mil …. You do it, and lock him up.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Two comments...

If you want to get team friendly deals like you described in 1, you need to do what you say what you don’t want to do in 2.  You need to make bets on player projection.

Thompson, Cozens, and Samuelsson hadn’t proven that they were worth those contracts when they signed them.  Adams made those deals because he believed that they would be.

So you could probably sign Power long term for $8.5-9M right now, or sign him to a lesser bridge deal, then sign him long term for $11M three years from now.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, repster said:

Owen power should sign a bridge deal if he wants a chance at that kind of cash 🙂

Edit: I mean a chance of that kind of money after his bridge.

Edited by Huckleberry

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

If you want to get team friendly deals like you described in 1, you need to do what you say what you don’t want to do in 2.  You need to make bets on player projection.

Thompson, Cozens, and Samuelsson hadn’t proven that they were worth those contracts when they signed them.  Adams made those deals because he believed that they would be.

So you could probably sign Power long term for $8.5-9M right now, or sign him to a lesser bridge deal, then sign him long term for $11M three years from now.

I think this is true, and also speaks to the reality that none of those players took what you would really call a "team-friendly" deal at the time of signing.  All three could have played out last season without an extension. Had they done so, the deals they got might have been different (certainly Thompson could have got quite a bit more, Cozens likely a little bit more, Samuelsson I think comes in about the same for a long-term extension). In Thompson's and Cozens's cases, the deals now look team-friendly, but given all knowns and unknowns they were fair for the time they were signed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It will be next summer when the cap jumps 5 million

I wonder about two things in particular to the higher amount.

First, I've seen no mention of any trade restrictions on this contract. I wonder if the Sabres wanted that and Dahlin countered with more money to accommodate.

Second, with many players signing short term UFA deals earlier this summer, I wonder if Dahlin's camp approached  the Sabres and said, you can pay us a bit more now or wait for someone to set the new baseline in the next few years.

All in all, the biggest benefit (other than being signed) is if it's true that he can be moved at will.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Best term.  Acceptable cap hit now, good cap hit by year three. Slightly cheaper than Karlsson and tied with Doughty for the #2 spot.  Justafiably more than next few D (Werensky, Fox, McAvoy, etc).

Both Karlsson and Doughty contracts were signed in 2019 when cap was $81.5M; cap is now $83.5M.  That's only 1.25% cap growth, because covid.  NHL revenue grew 16% (~5% annual) to $5.93B in 2021-22 from $5.09B in 2018-19.  Grew 24% from 2016 to 2019 (~8% annual).

NHL MOU limits cap growth to 5% per year.  As we're coming out of the covid pit with multiple new TV contracts, we might see that 5% growth for the next three years or more.  By year three, a player with Dahlin's $11M AAV in today's money would sign for $12.7M in 2026.  The value would be like Dahlin signing for $9.5M today.

I think this contract gets Dahlin paid what he's worth AND is team-friendly by mid-contract.

Also, apologies in advance for a sad note; I think that's the first video highlight package I've ever seen with zero RJ calls.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

My favourite player is locked up long term.

Let’s go!

This, Rasmus Dahlin is my favorite player since probably the early days of Sam Reinhart.  I'm just glad it's done, and there's no question!

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

rasmus-dahlin-buffalo-sabres.gif

Is there ever, a more perfect gif of a player.  LMAO.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Owen power should sign a bridge deal if he wants a chance at that kind of cash 🙂

Edit: I mean a chance of that kind of money after his bridge.

Realistically, longer term, is it smart cap management to have +$20m locked up between 2 defensemen?

Or spread that other $10m between 2 or 3 other top 4/6 d-men? Or future core guys like Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Savoie, Kulich, etc?

Something has to give at some point, especially if they continue to draft well.   IMO it wouldn't be smart to have +20% of your cap tied up between 2 defensemen.

How do you justify +$10m for Power when he's not even your PP1 QB.   

If I'm Power, I'm quietly looking for a way out so I can spread my wings as a true #1 defenseman.    Never gonna happen in Buffalo.   That said, maybe that's the best for Buffalo as well, imagine the haul they could get for him... it could transform the entire franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

First, I've seen no mention of any trade restrictions on this contract. I wonder if the Sabres wanted that and Dahlin countered with more money to accommodate.

Any trade restrictions are clauses that favor the player.  If anyone is giving up something to get that, it would be Dahlin.

But anyway, the black Dahlin jersey I bought a couple weeks ago is looking really good right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Realistically, longer term, is it smart cap management to have +$20m locked up between 2 defensemen?

Or spread that other $10m between 2 or 3 other top 4/6 d-men? Or future core guys like Peterka, Quinn, Benson, Savoie, Kulich, etc?

Something has to give at some point, especially if they continue to draft well.   IMO it wouldn't be smart to have +20% of your cap tied up between 2 defensemen.

If I'm Power, I'm quietly looking for a way out so I can spread my wings as a true #1 defenseman.    Never gonna happen in Buffalo.   That said, maybe that's the best for Buffalo as well, imagine the haul they could get for him... it could transform the entire franchise.

I think there is zero possibility of this happening.

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

By the time those players need to be paid Skinners $9M will be off the books. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Any trade restrictions are clauses that favor the player.  If anyone is giving up something to get that, it would be Dahlin.

But anyway, the black Dahlin jersey I bought a couple weeks ago is looking really good right now.

I was probably not clear.  Dahlin might have been asking for trade restrictions and the Sabres were negotiating against providing them, thus Dahlin seeking more money in compensation for agreeing to an open movement contract.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I look at it this way:  You're right about the team getting friendly deals going forward, but give Kevyn credit for signing three key pieces long term before the team turned the corner and those assets realized their potential.  It was a bit of a gamble but so far it looks like it's working in the team's favor.  To expect the team to be able to get team-friendly deals indefinitely was never realistic.

That’s the big difference.  There was a gamble on the part of Adams and the Sabres on the other deals while Dahlin has already reached top 10 (if not top 3-5) at his position 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.