Sabres Sign Dahlin to an 8 Year 88 Million Dollar Extension

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's really about if his penalties are off-set at the time they take them or if the Sabres score more PPG when he draws a penalty than they give up when he takes a penalty.

It doesn't do the team any good if they only score 1 in 10 times on the power play if they give up goals 3 of 10 times when he's in the box.

You can worry about that if you'd like. Personally I like that Dahlin takes some penalties for simply being nasty in his own end. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You can worry about that if you'd like. Personally I like that Dahlin takes some penalties for simply being nasty in his own end. 

I don't worry about it.. but from an analytical perspective, it's accurate.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I think it’s a fair criticism.  It’s great that he is near the top of league in penalties drawn, but he should be able to cut down on minor penalties taken too.  It’s an area that could use improvement.

Relatedly, I worried a bit last year (and maybe posted here) that Dahlin, as the team's future captain (I presume), appears to be sorta hated by the refs and linesmen. Or at least some of them. I think you need your Captain to have good relationships with the guys in stripes.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Relatedly, I worried a bit last year (and maybe posted here) that Dahlin, as the team's future captain (I presume), appears to be sorta hated by the refs and linesmen. Or at least some of them. I think you need your Captain to have good relationships with the guys in stripes.

Another mark in the plus column for making Tuch the next captain.  😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hated by refs?  Not seeing this. 

He draws penalties and he takes some penalties.  One way he can reduce taking penalties is to see other players, rather than Dahlin, respond to the BS that teams lay on us.

As far as players with good relationship with the refs, that is not a thing, but the older cagey vets will probably get more respect and more benefit of the doubt  than others.  

I like seeing Dahlin get nasty and want to see more of that from the defense.  I expect to from Clifton.  Muel should start to do that more.  

43 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hated by refs?  Not seeing this. 

As far as players with good relationship with the refs, that is not a thing, but the older cagey vets will probably get more respect and more benefit of the doubt  than others.  

Not sure what to tell you if you don't see it. I've picked up on it. No #fancystats to back up that sort of observation.

As for the second piece: Huh? There are absolutely players of varying seniority who have earned and command respect from the refs and linesmen. And a lot of those players wear a C or A on their sweater.

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin is the Sabres next captain 

Agreed 100%. I'll be stunned if a different decision is made.

Cozens and Tuch will wear A's.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ve found that to be perhaps a function of how much he’s speaking to the refs - and it sort of ties into a discussion I saw in another thread about how Crosby was disliked coming into league - there’s often an intangible bias against younger players. But if Dahlin actually *had* the C that comes with veteranship, I bet the refs mind all the yakking less 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Marty was on NHL Now and said Dahlin used his bonus to buy a house.  He joins Tuch, KO and TnT in buying or building a home in Buffalo recently.  Setting down roots.  

Derek Roy built a house here too, lol. 🙂 (but I agree that it's a good sign)

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Marty was on NHL Now and said Dahlin used his bonus to buy a house.  He joins Tuch, KO and TnT in buying or building a home in Buffalo recently.  Setting down roots.  

Its good of course.  When you make THAT much money though, you can build/buy a house to live in during the season, and still have another house/place to call 'home' during the offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.