We need to talk about Zach Benson making the team this year, 2023

LGR4GM

Benson 2023  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zach Benson make the Sabres 2023 roster (meaning he stays up in the NHL for the season)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does Zach Benson get 9 or less NHL games before being sent back to Jrs?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Zach Benson make the Sabres roster in 2024?

• Yes, he will make the NHL next season (2024)
    • No, he will go back to jrs or AHL (with exemption)

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have you watched him at all?

Yes, and I've said, he's very skilled and likely has a future in the NHL  Better than I expected, but he's 18 and small. I do not think it'll go well. If I'm the Sabres I tell him we have big plans for him but right now are sending him back to junior and also put him on a serious strength/weight/diet training program. Go win a junior championship or something, play in the worlds, maybe come back end of the year for a taste of NHL playoffs (?) but not yet. Don't rush it, do it properly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

And in the case of Devon Levi, Adams and crew have ignored logic and, instead, trusted their eyes.

Oh My God Lol GIF by Lifetime

10 hours ago, Curt said:

I mean, he was officially weighed at 170 lbs at the draft combine, but whatever.

Imo, hockey players' weight is consistently over-stated. Benson might have weighed 170# at some point in time. But he'd definitely be in the 160# range once a season got rolling and would probably struggle to stay at or above 160# as a season wore on. For a period of several years, I would periodically have to walk through/around a visiting NHL team as they were preparing to board their local bus (coach)  (~5 times a season). It always amazed me how skin and bones those guys are.

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He is playing well enough to have a regular season look and to decide from there.

This is the way.

22 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Imo, hockey players' weight is consistently over-stated. Benson might have weighed 170# at some point in time. But he'd definitely be in the 160# range once a season got rolling and would probably struggle to stay at or above 160# as a season wore on. For a period of several years, I would periodically have to walk through/around a visiting NHL team as they were preparing to board their local bus (coach)  (~5 times a season). It always amazed me how skin and bones those guys are.

Sure, but that is a league wide thing, and doesn’t affect Benson in particular relative to the rest of the league.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Benson on side boards needs more strength... saw him get knocked off his pegs too often... great hands but could also use some more speed which may come as he matures and gains weight.

I agree that he's been bumped off quite a bit, but Benson should get credit/recognition for not quitting. Even when he's been bumped off the puck he stays on the attacking player. He doesn't give up.

That was Mitts' problem when he first came into the league and something that drove me nuts since Mitts is 6'1"(6'2"?) and has a long enough reach to at least disrupt the takeaway. Instead, Mitts would get bumped off the puck and quit. So far in the prospect challenge and preseason games, Benson has shown a willingness to keep after the puck. He's quick with his stick and he's a smart player so he's winning puck battles that most players his age don't win and that's partly why he's so noticeable on the ice.

I still think he goes back to Juniors because the ELC slide rule and the cap situation with Skinner's contract. On the plus side, he looks like he could be the long-term replacement for Skinner considering how I think he's looked with Tage in the small sample size.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I agree that he's been bumped off quite a bit, but Benson should get credit/recognition for not quitting. Even when he's been bumped off the puck he stays on the attacking player. He doesn't give up.

That was Mitts' problem when he first came into the league and something that drove me nuts since Mitts is 6'1"(6'2"?) and has a long enough reach to at least disrupt the takeaway. Instead, Mitts would get bumped off the puck and quit. So far in the prospect challenge and preseason games, Benson has shown a willingness to keep after the puck. He's quick with his stick and he's a smart player so he's winning puck battles that most players his age don't win and that's partly why he's so noticeable on the ice.

I still think he goes back to Juniors because the ELC slide rule and the cap situation with Skinner's contract. On the plus side, he looks like he could be the long-term replacement for Skinner considering how I think he's looked with Tage in the small sample size.

Agree with him sticking with it, but still need to see adjustments and these guys aren't going full bore yet, especially vets... Benson just needs some strength maybe a little leg weight... yes you can see the talent and hands

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Because he scored a goal in a preseason game? Minds are changed?

He went to camp and competed and outperformed the competition for a roster spot. And based on his play he earned a spot, or at a minimum an introductory stint. Why would you have a problem with that? 

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Because he scored a goal in a preseason game? Minds are changed?

Yes. That’s the only reason; because he scored a goal in a preseason game. 

You either haven’t watched him closely all preseason or you have utter contempt for people in this forum.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He went to camp and competed and outperformed the competition for a roster spot. And based on his play he earned a spot, or at a minimum an introductory stint. Why would you have a problem with that? 

This is Old Sabre Thinking. If the goal really is to make the playoffs and make some noise, the bar for an 18 year old to make the team should be very high. I wouldn't weigh training camp and preseason that high. I actually kind of trust KA with this one.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yes. That’s the only reason; because he scored a goal in a preseason game. 

You either haven’t watched him closely all preseason or you have utter contempt for people in this forum.

Correct.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

On the negative, Benson, Thompson and Skinner were on the ice for all 3 CBJ goals.  Clearly 2 way play still alludes the Thompson line.

Not much those 3 could do on the 3rd goal; Johnson and Bryson looked like warm butter trying to resist a knife defending the rush.  They have to give the F's a chance to get into the play.

26 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is Old Sabre Thinking. If the goal really is to make the playoffs and make some noise, the bar for an 18 year old to make the team should be very high. I wouldn't weigh training camp and preseason that high. I actually kind of trust KA with this one.

Correct.

If you have trust in KA's judgment on assessing players and putting together a roster, then why are you so resistant over anyone, young or old, earning a roster spot? You are like a student who when asked if the answer is A or B, your response is both. I'm not saying this in a mean-spirited way but you have been a caricature of yourself. It gets weirder by the day. What's next? If this team has a successful season are you going to say: I told you so! 

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Correct.

There is only one bar for Benson making the team; being one of the best 12 forwards on it. And he has been proving just that in every game he’s appeared in. Feel free to provide insight into other borderline top 12 candidates who deserve it more. 

As to the rest of it, are both of my statements correct? If so, your contempt for forum members isn’t all that surprising, but I always thought your opinions were at least founded in observation. Apparently, you haven’t observed Benson enough this preseason to form an educated opinion one way or another. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.