We need to talk about Zach Benson making the team this year, 2023

LGR4GM

Benson 2023  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zach Benson make the Sabres 2023 roster (meaning he stays up in the NHL for the season)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does Zach Benson get 9 or less NHL games before being sent back to Jrs?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Zach Benson make the Sabres roster in 2024?

• Yes, he will make the NHL next season (2024)
    • No, he will go back to jrs or AHL (with exemption)

Personally I still think he should be sent back to Juniors this year. I'd prefer we could send him to the AHL and call him up or something, but since that's not an option so Juniors it is.

That said, he's at least earned a try out. If he can keep it up in the regular season, we may have no choice but to keep him. I think that's a good problem to have. That will complicate some things, but if they are serious about winning they should play the best players we have.

The downside of the 9 game try out is it doesn't let you project out the endurance aspects of an 82 game season. Even if he plays well to start the season, we saw last year the ups and downs of a long season on young players. However with Quinn out, and Olofsson off to a slow start, I don't think we have enough quality players right now to discount the possible contributions Benson could make right now.

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

(Mitts can't be re-signed if he has another 55+ point season because he'll be a $7M on the open market.)

Disagree here.  Sabres can afford Mitts on a $6-7M contract.  If Quinn and/or Peterka have a big breakout of sorts in the next two years and earn a big contract, it could necessitate a difficult decision down the road.  But there is no guarantee that either of those guys ends up as good as Mitts; and Thompson, Cozens, Mitts is one heck of a C spine.

33 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Benson, Skinner and Tage were on the ice for all 3 early Columbus goals. He will go back to the WHL. 200 foot game is still a Sabres opponent. 

That's the issue. Is Benson a complete player who can shine during crunchtime in March and beyond? It's not a simple question of whether he's had a better preseason than x other players.

That is, if this is not a development season.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Benson, Skinner and Tage were on the ice for all 3 early Columbus goals. He will go back to the WHL. 200 foot game is still a Sabres opponent. 

Out of the 3 players listed, I think Benson has the best 200ft game. As I've said elsewhere, I'm good with him going to the whl again. Truthfully I'm good either way. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Yep. And Skinner and Tage need a stint with the Americans.

Any close observation of Benson in games so far indicates he has a very good 200 foot game already. Indeed, that may be the most impressive aspect of his game so far. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Nope. I'm not making any predictions good or bad. I'm just sitting here waiting for the bullets to be real.

Betting on games after they have been played is a sure way to always win. It's a full-proof system to always be right. 😀

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I know this thread is about Benson but related to the issue of earning a roster spot is whether Biro has also earned a spot? From what I have observed (not seen all the games) he has made a good impression. 

I think Biro earning a spot depends on whether VO plays in place of Quinn and if the Tuch, Thompson and Skinner line stays together. I can see Biro with Mitts and Greenway on the third line. I don’t see Biro with Cozens and Peterka.

If Benson stays, I don’t think the first line stays together and I don’t see Biro taking VO off the third line. Although I suppose it’s possible. Honestly I think he’d be better in that role than VO, but it’s hard to justify waiving a 30 goal scorer for an AHL veteran.

Prospects trying to impress are going to go harder in the preseason than veterans. If they have some talent that can make them shine. Once the vets ramp up their games the prospects may not have that other gear. Remember the discussion last year of the NHL being an 80% league?

That being said, I think Benson has done very well and should get a look in the regular season. The team can see how he adapts and he can see what he needs to work on if sent back to the Dub.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Betting on games after they have been played is a sure way to always win. It's a full-proof system to always be right. 😀

I find betting is anathema to being a fan. YMMV. I feel no obligation to make predictions. I hope for the best but am neither optimistic nor pessimistic. Skeptical might be the best word for my feelings heading into the season. Mainly bc of Levi I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If Benson makes the team, why can’t it simply mean that:

a) they think he’s ready? and

b) they think he helps them win?

And if he doesn’t, why can’t it mean they think he’s not, and they don’t?

Don't you go oversimplifying things now. Every decision made is a convoluted labyrinth

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I see you're related to William of Occam. I believe Sherlock Holmes was a lifelong bachelor and fictional character, but maybe him, too.

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ever the voice of reason. Sincere thanks for your contributions to this forum. 

The bottom line to me is this:

He has earned the chance to be on the Opening Day roster.

He has earned the right to play 8 regular season games. He has outplayed VO, Kulich, Rosen, Biro, Rousek. If you send him down now and hand that spot to one of the others then the wrong message is being sent to the team.

How he plays during those games will determine where he plays the rest of the season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Does anyone think that’s isn’t the case?

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Of course. But that's different than saying he's had some good games and produced points and outplayed x, y and z in the preseason. The evaluation you speak of is a very complicated one, especially if the stance of the franchise has changed to Win Now.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I find betting is anathema to being a fan. YMMV. I feel no obligation to make predictions. I hope for the best but am neither optimistic nor pessimistic. Skeptical might be the best word for my feelings heading into the season. Mainly bc of Levi I suppose.

I'm not a bettor. Betting never appealed to me. However, if a person wants to bet or not, it is an individual choice. In my view, it has no bearing on whether one is a fan or not. 

I have a diametrically different view on Levi than you do. With Levi as our primary goalie I'm more optimistic about this upcoming season. Our competing world views (about hockey) simply don't mesh. That's okay. Some people like mustard on their hot dogs while others like ketchup. If I had it my way, anyone who puts ketchup on their hot dog should be charged with a misdemeanor violation.  

On 9/28/2023 at 10:47 PM, North Buffalo said:

Benson on side boards needs more strength... saw him get knocked off his pegs too often... great hands but could also use some more speed which may come as he matures and gains weight.

We saw Quinn and JJP get knocked down a lot last year, especially in the first half of the season.  Ditto with Reinhart in his rookie season. 

Benson looks scrappier and more responsible defensively,  but I will wait until he gets his 9 games before I make any judgement on his readiness since these preseason games are not real NHL games.  

• Like (+1) 2

Olofsson is the most likely player that Benson would be replacing in the Forward Group. When they were in the playoff push last year at the end of the season, VO was a healthy scratch for almost all of those games.

Has Benson shown enough to earn up to a nine game tryout with the team.

On the flip side there is a lot of benefit to sending him back to the WHL to work on developing strength. Plus He will be in leadership position and eligible to play in the WJC. 

The Coaching Situation with the Wild might complicate things and the Sabres might push for a coaching change or a trade of Savoie/Benson. 

Biro does remain a wild card to make the team and could also slot in to the lineup.

Either way it’s nice to have options 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.