We need to talk about Zach Benson making the team this year, 2023

LGR4GM

Benson 2023  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zach Benson make the Sabres 2023 roster (meaning he stays up in the NHL for the season)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does Zach Benson get 9 or less NHL games before being sent back to Jrs?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Zach Benson make the Sabres roster in 2024?

• Yes, he will make the NHL next season (2024)
    • No, he will go back to jrs or AHL (with exemption)

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Putting Benson on our top line would be a mistake. This line is going to be drawing the opposing teams top line and there's no way Benson will be ready for that on a nightly basis. It'd also be a mistake to take Tuch off that line, classic case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Not arguing your point, which I think is valid.

What I’ve heard from Adams is his goal of giving Granato options, and what I’ve heard from Granato is a desire to create mismatches: forcing the opponent to choose which line to target with its best defenders, and letting his other line(s) profit. In speaking to the latter, he’s specifically spoken about breaking up Tuch and Thompson, who he seems to regard as our 2 best forwards, and have each driving their own line.

I think the success of Mitts with Tuch down the stretch - and the team’s success during that run - is feeding the thought process. I also wonder how much of it is analytically driven.

Regardless of what they’ve shown in games, Thompson/Skinner Tuch/Mittelstadt have been consistent pairs in practices. Benson’s attraction for Granato under this plan comes from the fact his pesky two-way game may prove to be a much better fit with Thompson and Skinner in a top-six role than VO’s more passive offence or Greenway’s more plodding defence.

Donnie doesn’t expect Benson to be Tuch, but he really wants him to be able to be at least Quinn because it would effectively give him the ability to ice 3 dangerous lines (Cozens/Peterka being the 3rd) instead of a situation like last year where neither the Cozens line, nor the Mitts line proved capable of succeeding 5-on-5 when used as line 2.

Basically, I think Plan A for the above template was to plug Patrick Kane into the top 9. I don’t know that they planned for Benson to be his placeholder (or even to make him redundant), but his play is making it an argument.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

I think DG believes that Benson could be our version of Brayden Point. This thought hit home after watching Benson play the bumper spot on the PP where Point plays for TB.  The Sabres PP got a little stale last season and having someone who can distribute and shoot in the bumper spot can really make the PP even more dynamic.  

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think DG believes that Benson could be our version of Brayden Point. This thought hit home after watching Benson play the bumper spot on the PP where Point plays for TB.  The Sabres PP got a little stale last season and having someone who can distribute and shoot in the bumper spot can really make the PP even more dynamic.  

It is a good approach to have more options than TNT or VO one timers. Mixing it up keeps other teams off balance.

Ovie has scored hundreds of PP goals from his spot but I like variety. I would even like to see how TNT does as a net front presence once in a while. Huge human for screening, great hands and reach. Put Quinn (upon his return) on the left wall when Tage goes net front to have a shooting, passing or dangling option.

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Gotta have someone on this team that is nicknamed "The Butler"!! 

Can only imagine the versatility on the goal calls...

"The Butler answered!" (to tie it late)

"The Butler just slammed the door shut!" (after an EN goal)

"The Butler just stole their car keys!" (after a shortie)

the-office-steve-carell.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

On 10/2/2023 at 9:47 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

He could be, but don't forget... Point spent 2 seasons in junior after he was drafted.    Last thing you want to do is ruin his confidence or force him to play a different style because he's not strong enough on the puck.  

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He could be, but don't forget... Point spent 2 seasons in junior after he was drafted.    Last thing you want to do is ruin his confidence or force him to play a different style because he's not strong enough on the puck.  

If they don’t think he is ready, they’ll send him back.  They’ll almost certainly give him the 9 games to see him in the NHL and then evaluate from there.  KA has done a good job of not rushing guys. I trust their evaluation of forwards.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Looking at this from the standpoint of the 9 game stint: Is there a tradeoff here? Is there enough value in Benson experiencing regular season action and seeing what it takes to be an effective NHL'er (and enhancing his development through self-evaluation)? Because you are totally right - this kid is too promising to risk doing damage by rushing him up. Its so unfortunate for him the AHL is not an option.

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Didn't she just break up with brandon hagel this girl Travels

No.  I don’t think so.

EDIT:  Also, two sentences, no punctuation, first and last words capitalized.  Well done.  Lol

Edited by Curt

2 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Looking at this from the standpoint of the 9 game stint: Is there a tradeoff here? Is there enough value in Benson experiencing regular season action and seeing what it takes to be an effective NHL'er (and enhancing his development through self-evaluation)? Because you are totally right - this kid is too promising to risk doing damage by rushing him up. Its so unfortunate for him the AHL is not an option.

IMO juniors is the best place for him... he'll continue to excel and gain even more confidence while being a leader on his team.... a team that should be a top contender in the WHL.    

“170-pound teenagers can’t survive the grind of pro hockey. An 82-game season will grind them down and destroy their confidence. Some 230-pound goon will take a run at him and shatter his body and his psyche beyond repair.”

Every single reason why Benson shouldn’t be in the NHL this year could have also been applied to Isak Rosen and Jiri Kulich playing in the AHL last year.

Maybe the Sabres have learned a thing or two about this situation?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

“170-pound teenagers can’t survive the grind of pro hockey. An 82-game season will grind them down and destroy their confidence. Some 230-pound goon will take a run at him and shatter his body and his psyche beyond repair.”

Every single reason why Benson shouldn’t be in the NHL this year could have also been applied to Isak Rosen and Jiri Kulich playing in the AHL last year.

Maybe the Sabres have learned a thing or two about this situation?

He probably gets the JJP/Quinn Treatment, play some games and watches some with the coaches in the press box and by game 15 for the team, they have an idea on what his future brings 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.