Idle SabreSpacer speculation re: Patrick Kane

sweetlou

9 minutes ago, ... said:

Who sees Kane delivering a powerful, inspiring locker room speech during the second intermission of a game that could put the Sabres into the playoffs but they're down three points?

No, but nobody on the Sabres is going to deliver that. Kyle might try. Cozens or Tuch might try but the team really doesn't have that kind of leadership - yet. 

What I could see Kane doing though is sitting beside a young guy and going "hey man, you know when we were behind in Chicago and they were double shifting me I conserved energy by............" or other little tidbits of experience from a guy who has been there. 

But again, he's not coming here. He will go to a cup contender (who will likely fudge their cap numbers to work him in). Maybe Pittsburgh if they are actually in the hunt. Maybe Vegas. Somebody like that. A team with veterans. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

On 8/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, PerreaultForever said:

No, but nobody on the Sabres is going to deliver that. Kyle might try. Cozens or Tuch might try but the team really doesn't have that kind of leadership - yet. 

This is just blatantly false. Like, it's straight bull crap. 

• Disagree 1

On 8/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, PerreaultForever said:

What I could see Kane doing though is sitting beside a young guy and going "hey man, you know when we were behind in Chicago and they were double shifting me I conserved energy by............" or other little tidbits of experience from a guy who has been there. 

Okposo, Tage, Tuch, Skinner, E. Johnson, Dahlin, can all have this conversation. It's also something you learn by doing, not being told about. 

• Disagree 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Kane will bring in more dollars in merch sales than his salary. For that reason alone it’s foolish to think we aren’t angling for him. 

KA is in the business of winning games and Kane (at this stage in his career) doesn't help that. The Sabres don’t need to bring in the hockey equivalent of TO to sell merchandise.  

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Kane will bring in more dollars in merch sales than his salary. For that reason alone it’s foolish to think we aren’t angling for him. 

KA is smart. He won’t bring in someone who isn’t needed.

Wanted? Maybe.
But needed…. He’s not.

Patty Cake can go fool around in NYC with his choice of NYR, NYI, or NJD. Hell, even PIT can be a nice fit. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW both Jeremy White and Chad DeDomincis indicated sources have told them the interest in Kane by the Sabres is real. 

Noooooooooooo. Yes, he is from here.  Yes, he has vasts amount of playoff and Cup winning experience.  He may even have something left in the tank.  He might even sell a few tickets.  However, he is part of that terrible culture from the Bowman era Hawks and friends in Chicago say he is far from a model citizen. I don’t want him anywhere near the youngsters.

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Noooooooooooo. Yes, he is from here.  Yes, he has vasts amount of playoff and Cup winning experience.  He may even have something left in the tank.  He might even sell a few tickets.  However, he is part of that terrible culture from the Bowman era Hawks and friends in Chicago say he is far from a model citizen. I don’t want him anywhere near the youngsters.

I agree 1000%, His Metrics have fallen off a cliff. His defense is non existent. The Blackhawks told Him after His Off Ice Issues , not to stay in WNY during  the offseason, this the the reason he sold His House by Lake Erie. 

My biggest fear is a Kane Contract with the Sabres means that Terry is getting involved with Hockey Decisions again 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t know ***** about Kanes metrics, or if he will have anything left post recovery, but do not underestimate the value of surrounding kids under pressure with playoff tested, grizzled vets.  That is exactly when the Pens did with Crosby.  Most of the vets he played with his first season or two were well past their “use by” date, but they showed him how to win in the NHL.

I didn’t use to have an open mind about bringing in Kane.  I’m willing to consider it now. He won’t be a key player.  He would be a role player.  These kids are going to be under significant pressure now.  Having some support players to help guide that can only be a positive.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t know ***** about Kanes metrics, or if he will have anything left post recovery, but do not underestimate the value of surrounding kids under pressure with playoff tested, grizzled vets.  That is exactly when the Pens did with Crosby.  Most of the vets he played with his first season or two were well past their “use by” date, but they showed him how to win in the NHL.

I didn’t use to have an open mind about bringing in Kane.  I’m willing to consider it now. He won’t be a key player.  He would be a role player.  These kids are going to be under significant pressure now.  Having some support players to help guide that can only be a positive.

I think there are better candidates for that role.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think there are better candidates for that role.

I would agree with this. However, I could also see a role for Kane but I wouldn’t prioritize him. Like Brawndo, I fear a Kane signing would indicate a Terry push. 
I know the thought of finishing his career in Buffalo has intrigue Kane and I know TPEGS is interested. I never got the sense KA was interested.

A couple of final points, I think he has grown up a lot. The false rape allegations really shook him up. However, doing nothing about the mess in Chicago doesn’t speak well of him. On the other hand, I think the leadership in Buffalo is strong enough to overcome any issues Patrick would bring.

I’m not pounding the table for or against Kane to Buffalo. I do believe the interest is real and he could be useful here.

Why do people keep acting like this is 21 year old Kane personality wise?

Guy is 34, he has grown up a lot in that time. He wouldn’t be negatively influencing anyone. Okposo and EJ will have the room  locked down.

Yes I think Pegula is interested. He is owner and President now. He has some influence. 

I would like the move if it means VO is on the way out. There are many factors at play here:

1) Quinn’s injury leaves a hole. Even if he is back in the new year he won’t be the same this season.

2) I’m sure Terry would like the HOFer from Buffalo in Sabres colours. 

3) I think people underestimate how motivated Kane would be on ice to play for the Sabres

4) Adams was his roommate and knows him personally 

5) Granato coached him in Chicago and raves about him.

Skinner Tage Kane for a year would produce offence and allow them to spread the lineup out with Mitts and Tuch forming a line and JJ Cozens a third line.

I know he doesn’t bring the defense people want but a motivated Kane for a year setting up Tage and Skinner would be a positive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

36 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I would agree with this. However, I could also see a role for Kane but I wouldn’t prioritize him. Like Brawndo, I fear a Kane signing would indicate a Terry push. 
I know the thought of finishing his career in Buffalo has intrigue Kane and I know TPEGS is interested. I never got the sense KA was interested.

A couple of final points, I think he has grown up a lot. The false rape allegations really shook him up. However, doing nothing about the mess in Chicago doesn’t speak well of him. On the other hand, I think the leadership in Buffalo is strong enough to overcome any issues Patrick would bring.

The bolded is the biggest reason why it could work bringing him in.  The team's culture has definitely been established.  One guy won't destroy it; especially when the GM is as cognizant about recognizing and building the culture.  If he were brought in sometime between January and the trade deadline; if he were creating issues, he wouldn't be here long.

Personally, don't expect he brings more to the table than others do at this point in his career.  But if they were to sign him, wouldn't be opposed; as this FO has earned a benefit of the doubt IMHO.  (Know that isn't a sentiment that's univeral here.)

• Like (+1) 1

Warts and all Kane, depending on the purpose and usage Kane could be a nice piece for any playoff run. The guy is clutch and has 3 Cups and a Conn Smythe to his name. I'm not worried about his past as he's certainly grown up. Give him a a 1 year deal, let him get conditioned in Rochester and give Quinn all the time he needs to recover. My hope would be Kane's homecoming and desire to come back from a surgery no one has before would give him plenty to play for. If he flames out and is forced to retire, so be it. He's without a doubt a HoFer regardless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.