The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

The worst part about Buffalo missing the playoffs is we still have to wait at least one more year to figure out what they  even look like in the playoffs. It would’ve been nice to have that out-of-the-way this year and make the proper adjustments this summer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:
  • As a rookie he was third on the team in points behind ROR and Eich
  • In 2016-17:  3rd in points
  • 2017-18:  3rd
  • 2018-19:  2nd
  • 2019-20:  2nd
  • 2020-21:  1st

The only Sabres to score more points than Reino in his Sabres tenure in any given season were ROR and Eichel.  He wasn't "great"?  What's your definition of great?  He was a solid hockey player, rarely injured, very dependable.

A tall dwarf isn't tall.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK, I feel Toronto could have beaten Boston based on how the Bruins have been looking more vulnerable.  OTH, Florida is healthier now, younger and have multiple guys who can match-up well against the Leafs.  All I know is that I am now rooting hard for the Panthers!

I agree.

I felt like Boston was a 1/1.5 line team. A really f'n good one, mind. That can work in the regular season, but it was going to catch up with them in the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

Boston out was not a surprise.  In the past, those teams with 100 plus points failed to make it to the cup.  

It has happened, sure, but it is not normal in today's age.  Non-COVID and post-lockout seasons:

2022 COL 119

2019 STL 99

2018 WAS 105

2017 PIT 118

2016 PIT 104

2015 CHI 102

2014 LA 100

etc., and I think if you look at the runners-up, you'll see a similar pattern.  Of course, this means that many other teams with 100 points did not win, because the majority of playoff teams have 100 points of more, every year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup, that kind of sucks. 

Still, got more than the Sabres. 

This is the kind of on-brand thing that a douchy Boston fan would say in a Sabres community.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Hysterical.   Best to let that idea go.  

Yeah, I figured she wouldn't answer anyways. I did text my youngest daughter, who loves all Boston teams like her mom. I said, "how bout them Bruins, lol?". She texted back "you suck". 

40 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Yeah, I figured she wouldn't answer anyways. I did text my youngest daughter, who loves all Boston teams like her mom. I said, "how bout them Bruins, lol?". She texted back "you suck". 

Not good Claude.  Don't drag her in to it.  

I was counting on the Bruins to beat Toronto.   

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

I agree.

I felt like Boston was a 1/1.5 line team. A really f'n good one, mind. That can work in the regular season, but it was going to catch up with them in the playoffs.

Yes, there is something about their lineup that screams big and tough but mediocre skills after you get passed Bergeron, Toucan, Pasta and McAvoy.   I asked the question at the start of the playoffs - Is Boston really this good and how much of their success is culture and expectations versus talent?  

Playoff hockey brought playoff pressure and Linus was not up to the task and neither was his defense.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.