Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Mittlestadt has reached the level where you don't move him unless its part of a package that nets a single far better piece in return.  The Sabres have other ways to address defense.  Penciling in young players over him is a possibility but a risky one. Sure, they MIGHT be good.  But the Sabres are at a point where players have to earn their ice time.  Mitts is simply a player that you keep on the roster, especially under his current contract.

Mittelstadt is their 5th best forward at present.  Quinn MIGHT pass him next year but it isn't a given.  Don't expect anybody else on the team or the pipeline currently passing him next year.

His versatility and contract make him quite valuable.  He's pretty much turning into a Hecht for them (with better offense and lesser defense.  Like Jochen, Mitts likely will struggle to get into the 20's on goal scoring, but that part of his game could still come around if he gets the Cozens like epiphany that he has a reasonable shot and doesn't need to wait for either the perfect chance or the there's no other option but shooting chance).

It'll be interesting to see if they extend him this off-season and for how much & for how long if they do.  If he doesn't have a need to break the bank, he could be here a long time in a bunch of different roles.  If he wants to be paid like a high end 2nd liner he could be gone in 2-3 seasons, but if he's reasonable on what he's asking he could stay a Sabre into his late 20's.  He's a 2nd line talent driving the 3rd line primarily.

And agree that unless he's part of a package for a stud D-man or a Selke candidate, he doesn't get moved.

• Like (+1) 5

As long as it’s a reasonable contract that fits in with your typical third line type of money… I wouldn’t mind keeping Casey around for 3-5 more years. If his production is roughly 45-55 points a season and he isn’t a black hole defensively… That will be a very fair contract for both sides.

44 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

As long as it’s a reasonable contract that fits in with your typical third line type of money… I wouldn’t mind keeping Casey around for 3-5 more years. If his production is roughly 45-55 points a season and he isn’t a black hole defensively… That will be a very fair contract for both sides.

Expect he'll be a 60 point guy and that when healthy we won't see him under 50 points again.

Also expect for him to be a longer term fixture on the team he'll take low end 2nd line W (or top end 3rd line) money.  Which works when your top 2 centers are making 2nd line money and your soon to be starting goalie (if not next year, the year after) is on an ELC.

• Like (+1) 1

Been a lot of talk about Power and Dahlin extending early this summer instead of waiting until the following summer when their deals expire.

I wonder if Casey will be offered a similar opportunity? Recent comparable might be Filip Chytil who just signed a 4-year, 4.4 AAV deal.

(UPL, Krebs and Jokiharju are the others in the same situation.)

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Been a lot of talk about Power and Dahlin extending early this summer instead of waiting until the following summer when their deals expire.

I wonder if Casey will be offered a similar opportunity? Recent comparable might be Filip Chytil who just signed a 4-year, 4.4 AAV deal.

(UPL, Krebs and Jokiharju are the others in the same situation.)

4 year deal seems likely if he's in their future.  Buys 2 UFA years and leaves flexibility for both sides when the plethora of young forwards in the pipeline are ready to start making their marks.

And could see all 4 of Mittelstadt, Krebs, Dahlin, and Power getting deals this summer.

Jokiharju too on a short deal just buying 1 or 2 years of UFA.  Expect UPL won't get signed until the following summer.

Edited by Taro T

Today was the closest I've seen Casey look to the player that had us all so excited during the Buffalo World Juniors: a puck hound and playmaker.

It's not lost on me that it was happening between the team's two best wingers. Nor is it lost that it happened against perhaps the NHL's best defence corps.

It's looking more and more like Granato has fixed another one.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

On 3/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, Second Line Center said:

I agree and to have 30 assists - playing with mostly who all year?  

Look of course you can do better then him and I wouldn’t lose sleep if we packaged him to get another D Man.  

I just think he’s been much better and doesn’t warrant some of the hate thrown at him.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him around 60 points if you surround him with a bit more talent on the 3rd line.  

Which next year could it be Casey-Savoie-Kulich?   

Still stand by this but not sure I’d trade him.  I know near everyone could be had in the right trade.  So can’t rule it out.  

His game is emerging as the games are turning into playoff type tight ones.  That means a ton - plus we might be a bit younger next year.  And can see him on a line with those guys.  

Give me guys that have overcome adversity and excelled.   I want them as part of the core.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Casey isn’t getting traded this summer.

1. His development as a player has continued it’s annual progress and has accelerated in the second half of the season.

2. He has become the best utility player on the team.

3. He is a glue player in the locker-room.  

4. How does he get replaced if traded?  The only replacements in the organization are potential rookies like Kulich.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Casey isn’t getting traded this summer.

1. His development as a player has continued it’s annual progress and has accelerated in the second half of the season.

2. He has become the best utility player on the team.

3. He is a glue player in the locker-room.  

4. How does he get replaced if traded?  The only replacements in the organization are potential rookies like Kulich.

A related question about Casey is what line will he be on and the composition of it. Another related question is Tage going to stay on the top line with Tuch and Skinner or will he be moved to another line to balance out the lines? I don't know. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Today was the closest I've seen Casey look to the player that had us all so excited during the Buffalo World Juniors: a puck hound and playmaker.

It's not lost on me that it was happening between the team's two best wingers. Nor is it lost that it happened against perhaps the NHL's best defence corps.

It's looking more and more like Granato has fixed another one.

Granato really gets the best production from all his players. He really is amazing at player development.  Not wasting any talent out there.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A related question about Casey is what line will he be on and the composition of it. Another related question is Tage going to stay on the top line with Tuch and Skinner or will he be moved to another line to balance out the lines? I don't know. 

Really expect where they play Mittelstadt will be effected by how they decide to deploy Greenway.  It seems he'd be on the 4th line, but that isn't a given and if he's providing forechecking and muscle for one of the higher up lines we could see Granato going off the board with lines similar to what he's used the past 2 games.  

Expecting that the Thompson and Cozens lines will be back together to start next year, but things could be mixed up, especially if Savoie makes the roster out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really expect where they play Mittelstadt will be effected by how they decide to deploy Greenway.  It seems he'd be on the 4th line, but that isn't a given and if he's providing forechecking and muscle for one of the higher up lines we could see Granato going off the board with lines similar to what he's used the past 2 games.  

Expecting that the Thompson and Cozens lines will be back together to start next year, but things could be mixed up, especially if Savoie makes the roster out of the gate.

I expect Thompson to be reunited with his original line with Tuch and Skinner. Of course, that's just a guess.

What is apparent as the talent base increases the number of different combinations exist. (As you point out.) It also increases the depth so when injuries happen there are different options/combinations to rely on that don't set you back, as it did with our blueline unit when Samuelsson got hurt. Also, because of the depth, the coach has the ability to change up the lines within the game in order to add a spark to the team. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cheektorado said:

Casey is growing both in his game and body.  He's stepped up to the challenge this year and definitely can continue to improve.  A couple more pounds of muscle added this summer won't do him no harm.  I'm happy for the young man.

Agree with this. He’s much more sturdy both on his skates and with the puck. He’s not a blazing skater, but his burst is noticeably better and the puck sticks to him more. 

He’s playing himself into the core of the squad and I’m happy for him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In Dahlin’s post game interview he singled out Mitts’ work ethic as second to none. DG has said that as well. That has helped transform him from a no pull-up guy to a solid player.

I like the fact he has realized that he can’t succeed only on skills that worked in HS and college. He has evolved as both a player and a person. DG believed in him last year and Casey has taken a step this year.

He’s also the Sabres iron man this season, helped in part by his improved fitness. Who would have thought that?

Like many I doubted he would get where he is, kudos to him.

A spin-off of his work ethic is how it challenges teammates to improve and provides leadership for the younger guys and future Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

In Dahlin’s post game interview he singled out Mitts’ work ethic as second to none. DG has said that as well. That has helped transform him from a no pull-up guy to a solid player.

I like the fact he has realized that he can’t succeed only on skills that worked in HS and college. He has evolved as both a player and a person. DG believed in him last year and Casey has taken a step this year.

He’s also the Sabres iron man this season, helped in part by his improved fitness. Who would have thought that?

Like many I doubted he would get where he is, kudos to him.

A spin-off of his work ethic is how it challenges teammates to improve and provides leadership for the younger guys and future Sabres.

This is the first convincing post I've seen since he was drafted, and I am not kidding.  Thank you for it.

• Like (+1) 1

Casey is their best pure playmaker up front. They don’t have a lot of pure playmakers in the system. They have a lot of hybrid scorers but Mittelstadt’s playmaking is needed in the lineup.

When Tage gets healthy I wouldn’t mind a few games of Mitts between Quinn and JJ and see Cozens with Greenway.

Just look at some different combos and see how they mesh.

(After they are mathematically eliminated that is)

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Casey is their best pure playmaker up front.

No.  He's on the top line because Thompson is hurt.  Tuch, Skinner, Thompson are the best pure playmakers up front.  Even if I'm  admitting that Mittelstadt has improved, I don't know how this even is an issue.  He's not a top three guy as long as those others are on the team.

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No.  He's on the top line because Thompson is hurt.  Tuch, Skinner, Thompson are the best pure playmakers up front.  Even if I'm  admitting that Mittelstadt has improved, I don't know how this even is an issue.  He's not a top three guy as long as those others are on the team.

Playmaker in the purest sense of the word: passers to set up plays. Mitts And Krebs are the two best pure passers up front.

• Eyeroll 1

47 minutes ago, Contempt said:

He needs to go.

I'm not going to spend time looking over your past posting history. You've been here long enough to accrue nearly five thousand, so I assume you are sometimes more congenial. The few times I've noticed you I've actually wondered if you have troll DNA. Mittlestadt has become an ideal glue guy. He's a great story, too. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.