Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

2 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Agree. Casey is a top-6 forward. Get CM on Cozens' wing along with Quinn and he'll be a regular 60 point player and be the perfect complement skill-wise to the other two. And provide a solid option to step into the center slot if needed.

For me, I'm using other assets to acquire a (badly needed) 4D. And lots of other parts are available for a third line.

Agreed - plus, the team should have cap room to sign a 4D as well - so maybe can get one without giving up assets. Lot's of ways we can get a 4D without moving CM. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, MattPie said:

This.

The Sabres need a Muel2 (or whatever style player fits with Power). Would you trade Casey for Samuelson+pick, or trade VO+pick for Samuelson? I'm choosing the latter every time given where the team is right now.

There is merit that Casey's stock right now is as high as it's ever been. If he's consistent next year it goes even higher, and more importantly, he makes the 2023-24 Sabres a better team than any prospect positioned to fill his spot.

Yes I agree, but I don’t think VO walking to UFA has nearly as much value on the open market as Casey. Top 4 D is my number one priority. 

On 4/19/2023 at 11:16 AM, Pimlach said:

Am I good?  That is a hard question to answer.  I can play, and some people considered it "good" at one time, but I took off several decades off while forging a career and raising three kids - I put the guitar away for too long (a minor regret for me).   Since my retirement in June of 2021 I have been playing a lot.  I have a friend that sings and plays which helps get me going. 

I think I can get a lot better now that I have more time.   I am learning faster and I am more confident than ever to just let it rip.  There are way more and much better learning tools today than when I started in the late 70's.   

It sounds like you are at the point where you need to play with other people, in a band if possible, to get to another level.  I am guessing you can learn the chords and play the rhythm parts, and eventually play some of the leads, but you are not comfortable with soloing or improvising - correct?   

Play with other people and that step will gradually come.   If you think you can, then you will.   Youtube has a ton of stuff to help you, I am just scratching the surface of what is there.  

Sounds like a dream! 

Forgot to answer this. You guessed pretty well. That sounds like the proper diagnosis too. Maybe 4 times in my life I've been able to play with others, and maybe 1 of those times had others who were better at their instruments than I (this is not pumping my own tires lol)

I can do rhythm guitar in my sleep, can play the leads of most popular songs, and could learn most reasonable-speed rock solos with practice (Megadeath type stuff and sweep picking definitely not), and can improv in like 2 of the pentatonic boxes, with terrible phrasing 85% of the time I'm doing that. The best I've ever done is learn to make Little Wing sound pretty good over a backing track. 

I have been begging my friends to learn instruments for so long that they could be savants by now if they had listened the first time, will just have to hit up randos on facebook I think 

You should post some of your playing here! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.