Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not going to spend time looking over your past posting history. You've been here long enough to accrue nearly five thousand, so I assume you are sometimes more congenial. The few times I've noticed you I've actually wondered if you have troll DNA. Mittlestadt has become an ideal glue guy. He's a great story, too. 

He needs to be traded for a defenseman because he can be more easily replaced by the prospects we have coming up. I'm leaving out any and all vitriol I have for him personally. He is replaceable and needs to be traded for what we do t have in the system.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

He needs to be traded for a defenseman because he can be more easily replaced by the prospects we have coming up. I'm leaving out any and all vitriol I have for him personally. He is replaceable and needs to be traded for what we do t have in the system.

I don't think he is untradeable, but I would be reluctant to do it. Just because a player falls outside of the untouchable category doesn't mean one must use them as a part to get other parts you don't have. It would be different if the cupboard was otherwise bare and necessity compelled one. That isn't the case here. There are abundant resources for KA to acquire what is deficient in the roster. 

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I don't think he is untradeable, but I would be reluctant to do it. Just because a player falls outside of the untouchable category doesn't mean one must use them as a part to get other parts you don't have. It would be different if the cupboard was otherwise bare and necessity compelled one. That isn't the case here. There are abundant resources for KA to acquire what is deficient in the roster. 

Who would you move instead?

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Playmaker in the purest sense of the word: passers to set up plays. Mitts And Krebs are the two best pure passers up front.

Shoot me in the face if Krebs is one of our best pure passers. He passes because the only thing he does worse than passing is shooting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SDS said:

Shoot me in the face if Krebs is one of our best pure passers. He passes because the only thing he does worse than passing is shooting. 

Hat to see you with a facial wound but he is. As a young player he does throw it away under pressure but he is one of the best passers on the team in relation to finding open players for opportunities in the offensive end.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hat to see you with a facial wound but he is. As a young player he does throw it away under pressure but he is one of the best passers on the team in relation to finding open players for opportunities in the offensive end.

I kinda agree with both sides here.  I think Krebsie understands the game well and makes good decisions about where to go with the puck, but his hands haven't caught up with his brain, so his passes are often off target (as are his shots).  It's still unclear IMHO whether he can develop into a productive offensive player like Mitts has, or whether he'll stay closer to Larsson in terms of production.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I'd move all of those things also. I just think Mittelstadt is a good sell high candidate.

He’s definitely not untouchable, but I would need a youngish Top 4 D coming back. If I were KA, so would start exploring what Mitts would cost to sign.

So, in your opinion, one of the elite passers on the team, in the top two according to you, is not paired with elite shooters. He also does not get time on the 1st PowerPlay. 

Weirdly, he is paired with Girgensons and Okposo, clearly a questionable decision by Granato, and has but 17 assists on the entire year.

What an embarrassment of riches to store such an asset on the fourth line.

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

So, in your opinion, one of the elite passers on the team, in the top two according to you, is not paired with elite shooters. He also does not get time on the 1st PowerPlay. 

Weirdly, he is paired with Girgensons and Okposo, clearly a questionable decision by Granato, and has but 17 assists on the entire year.

What an embarrassment of riches to store such an asset on the fourth line.

Your swift and enduring antipathy for Krebs is one of the more unexpected quirks of this board.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

Your swift and enduring antipathy for Krebs is one of the more unexpected quirks of this board.

I will consider him to be an objectively marginal hockey player up until the point he isn’t. Given his pedigree and expectations, I am fairly certain the spot he holds on this roster is not on top of the passer list, but on top of the most disappointing player’s list. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I will consider him to be an objectively marginal hockey player up until the point he isn’t. Given his pedigree and expectations, I am fairly certain the spot he holds on this roster is not on top of the passer list, but on top of the most disappointing player’s list. 

I know 😁

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

He is actually 2nd on the team in hits by a forward.  He needs to take a major leap in his development next season or he'll be moved to make room for the Rosen's and Kulich's of this world.  He is a talented passer, but as we have seen with Mitts, that doesn't mean much if your not doing the little things correctly to merit the PT.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you're saying the Krebs isn't as good as Mitts.

I think statistically they were in pretty similar places at the same juncture of their careers.

I think eye-test wise Mitts was creating more offensively in his D4 season, but that’s largely because of how Donnie used him post-Ralph compared to how he uses Krebs right now.

I also think eye-test wise Krebs is far more advanced as a puckhound and in his defensive reads than Mitts was two years ago. And I look at how far Mitts has come since in those areas. SDS kinda used Krebs role between Girgs and KO to dismiss Krebs, when the fact of the matter is that it’s a plus. Krebs is getting 15 minutes a night in a primarily defensive role.

My take on Krebs is that his game is coming along nicely and I won’t be surprised to see him become a pace-pushing, 2-way, middle-6 forward.

Kinda like we’ve seen from Mitts.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Saying they're virtually identical.

Except Krebs has his 25 pts in D+4 in 70 games (.36 pts/gp) and Mitts had 22 in 41 games (.54 pts/gp).  They aren't even close to the same.  Mitts is and has been the vastly superior player.  Don't forget that Mitts suffered through a season plus of RK and still put up more points.  

I'm with @SDS on this one.  Until Krebs steps forward, I feel he is very replaceable.  Don't forget he has regressed significantly this season offensively from .46 to .36 pts/gp.  Casey, even under RK didn't have that kind of regression.

23 hours ago, Contempt said:

Why trade for one when they can get one or two in FA? It's not like they don't have plenty of money.

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except Krebs has his 25 pts in D+4 in 70 games (.36 pts/gp) and Mitts had 22 in 41 games (.54 pts/gp).  They aren't even close to the same.  Mitts is and has been the vastly superior player.  Don't forget that Mitts suffered through a season plus of RK and still put up more points.  

I'm with @SDS on this one.  Until Krebs steps forward, I feel he is very replaceable.  Don't forget he has regressed significantly this season offensively from .46 to .36 pts/gp.  Casey, even under RK didn't have that kind of regression.

Not sure how you can say a player regressed offensively when he is on the 4th line now and his role has changed. He is flourishing in his new role, btw also.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You talking about the same Casey Mittelstadt who went from 25 points in his first season to 9 and a demotion to the minor leagues in his 2nd?

Krebs points per game may have dropped from his 1st season to his 2nd, but his game has not. His actual points, his +/- and his fancystats improved this year while his role, position and responsibilities got a lot tougher. He’s a better, more trustworthy hockey player than he was a year ago.

I don’t have a strong opinion as to which player will have a better career; certainly Casey has hit a stage over the past 40 games that Peyton is yet to approach and may never will, so Casey is in the lead. But the idea that Mitts was a vastly superior player at the same stage is odd to me. It’s certainly not something that is proven out by a better point per game rate.

They were/are both talented young hockey players finding their way, seeing some bumps and trying to carve out a role. I see nothing to suggest Krebs can’t make similar progress over his 2nd 120 NHL games as to what Mittelstadt did in his.

Edited by dudacek
  • dislike 1

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I kinda agree with both sides here.  I think Krebsie understands the game well and makes good decisions about where to go with the puck, but his hands haven't caught up with his brain, so his passes are often off target (as are his shots).  It's still unclear IMHO whether he can develop into a productive offensive player like Mitts has, or whether he'll stay closer to Larsson in terms of production.

Krebs already has had two better point total seasons than Larsson ever had.  He is less stout than Larsson but a better offensive player.  Certainly worth another season to see what he can do.  I like his scrappy team first style. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:27 PM, Contempt said:

But the prospect that would replace him would be a rookie that would need a couple years to develop as well, so you're not getting much of a benefit overall for that move. I don't think he's that easily replaceable. Trade VO/Hinestroza/Jost before Casey is a better idea IMO

• dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.