Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

Registered his 40th point and his 30th assist tonight.

Would have put him 2nd on the entire team last year for assists, and 1st the year before that. 

He sits in a tie for 116th in league scoring among forwards - which makes him a good second liner in terms of production.

His peers statistically right now are guys like Brock Boeser, David Perron, Andre Burakovsky, William Karlsson, Matt Boldy, and Vladimir Tarasenko.

He’s just under 51% in terms of shot share, bolstered by a 53.4% run in this calendar year.

The big complaint from the fall was he’d show something for a game then disappear for 4.

Has he changed any minds?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I think my problem is expectation management. As a third line guy he’s alright. He’s competent enough to fill in for top six injuries. He has good hands and maybe he could be something more with the right linemates.

I wanted him to be more of a goal scorer and hoped he’d be a good second line center. Cozens took/earned that position. I’d give Mitts one more year to see what he can do in a third line role with clear expectations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

He’d be a superstar in a non-checking league, but the fact is he’s too slight and gets knocked off the puck too often. I hoped they would have traded him for an upgrade on defense and opened his roster spot for a prospect with a higher upside. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Still wait and see for me. I do appreciate his assists. He has made some really solid passes. And has good speed. But is -9 +/- and only has 10 goals.

If the right deal came along I would trade him. But it depends also on who we sign in free agency and who in the farm system seems ready to emerge and make the team. 

He is not a player I am ready to sign to a long term deal or keep as a key cog in a championship team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

He’d be a superstar in a non-checking league, but the fact is he’s too slight and gets knocked off the puck too often. I hoped they would have traded him for an upgrade on defense and opened his roster spot for a prospect with a higher upside. 

Not so much any more, much improved biggest thing he lacks is an NHL shot accuracy... he is trying... been seeing him shoot more because teams are backing off and letting him shoot... lower body strength is much improved along with his battle along the boards... Again his shot scares no one... hopefully he talks to Cozens and Quinn and keeps working... Id like him on wing and as a puck mover up the ice to the speed guys. The above is the old Mitts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Yes, he's shown improvement in terms of being more of a 200 ft. player and going into more difficult places.  Defensive game has been better as well.  As long as he doesn't commit more brain farts like passing backwards to the opposition, I'm good with keeping him.  I think he's still an RFA and is about half the cost of VO as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

I mean this in the most sincere way:  I think that you should watch his current play more closely.  What you are saying was much more true 2-3 years ago, but I don’t think it’s accurate any longer.

Mittelstadt has gotten a lot stronger and he is not a small player.  6’1” 200 lbs and he uses his size much better than he used to.  I don’t think it’s a weakness of his any longer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hank said:

I think he's more valuable than Ollie, but I always have. Money is right for what he produces. No, he hasn't changed my mind. 

Money is actually very good for what he produces.

He is the NHL’s 116th most-productive forward and it’s 226th highest-paid.

His statistical peers from above make Boldy $900K ($7 million next year), Perron $4.3, Karlsson $5.9, Burakovsky $5.5, Boeser $6.6, Tarasenko $7.5

Casey makes $2.5 

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think my problem is expectation management. As a third line guy he’s alright. He’s competent enough to fill in for top six injuries. He has good hands and maybe he could be something more with the right linemates.

I wanted him to be more of a goal scorer and hoped he’d be a good second line center. Cozens took/earned that position. I’d give Mitts one more year to see what he can do in a third line role with clear expectations.

The average 3rd line NHL forward right now has 22 points. The average 2nd-liner has 33. Casey has 40.

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

To me the bolded is the biggest improvement in his game. I mean he’s no Tuch or Dahlin, but has become one of the better Sabres at protecting the puck along the wall and then making a play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

He has surprised me, no doubt, although he could be poster boy for my belief that some of these guys just need to grow up and it has little to do with how they were developed.

All that being said, I believe he will be the first “good” player that KA will have to trade assuming that all four of JJP, Quinn, Kulich and Savoie all end up being what most of us think they will be.

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think he forms a great tandem with Cozens and I'd staple Casey to Cozens' hip going forward.  Casey doesn't get pushed around anymore; in fact he does the pushing now, especially along the boards.  He's gotten much more rugged.  When Tuch comes back I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Cozens and Mitts; that could form a second "1st line" if the chemistry works.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

He’d be a superstar in a non-checking league, but the fact is he’s too slight and gets knocked off the puck too often.

wut.

You're thinking of 2019 Casey Mittelstadt.

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

He is not a player I am ready to sign to a long term deal or keep as a key cog in a championship team. 

I think the game he's playing on Cozens' line will translate well to playoff hockey.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.