Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

He is better now than ever and we have a lot invested in him. 

I like him OK as a middle 6 winger.   He is showing better 2 way play.  

We don't need to keep both Mitts and VO - one needs to be packaged in a move that gets us a big, strong, mobile, smart, steady, veteran RHD to match with Owen Power.   I prefer Mitts over VO.  

record player GIF

we need a big, strong, mobile, smart, steady, veteran RHD to match with Owen Power,  screetch .... 

we need a big, strong, mobile, smart, steady, veteran RHD to match with Owen Power, screetch .... 

we need a big, strong, mobile, smart, steady, veteran RHD to match with Owen Power, screetch .... 

I like him - he appears like he truly wants to be a part of this.  That’s important especially since he came up thru the dark ages with this organization. 

He seems to be playing a grittier game.  Good solid bottom 6 guy you should have at a good cost - with top 6 potential.  

40 points - only a minus 9.  I’m pleased.  

I like him - he appears like he truly wants to be a part of this.  That’s important especially since he came up thru the dark ages with this organization. 

I dont think this is relevant. Would you be saying this if Bryson also echoed that same sentiment? Olofsson? 

He seems to be playing a grittier game.  Good solid bottom 6 guy you should have at a good cost - with top 6 potential.  

He is just another guy. Bottom 6 guys are a dime a dozen. Top 6 potential is highly debatable, and his penchant for making critical mistakes is still evident. There's a reason Granato went with Quinn on the first line and not Mittlestadt. They tried that earlier on and it didn't work. I will agree that he has gotten slightly better, but not enough to think he needs or should stay. His career high in goals is 10, which is not good enough. There's no way any of our top prospects can't match 10 goals. I'd bet Savoie does that in his first season provided he plays enough games. Quinn already has 12, 2 more that Mittlestatds career high (lol) and he's a rookie. Quinn is already better

Not a good benchmark to go by when only Olofsson and Bryson have a worse +/-. Minus 9 is minus 9. Not good when the team you play on is known for going bezerk in the goal scoring department. 

I dont mind the perceived value some think to seem hes gained. Makes him easier to trade. He's another failed pick of the Alex Nylander type. I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander turned out how Mittlestadt is now had he'd been given the same opportunities. 

Hope Adams trades him this offseason. Goodbye, Middlingstats 

2 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

I like him - he appears like he truly wants to be a part of this.  

I can't think of anything that makes this statement true. It might be, but I think that's just speculative. I see a guy who knows he has to be better to have an NHL career (here or elsewhere) and he is trying hard, but that effort still only elevates him to average at best. I doubt he'd be overly upset if he was traded.

• Agree 1

There is no player on the team who is better with the puck in tight quarters than Mitts. When he is working the boards/cycle on the forecheck he is simply one of the best I have seen on the Sabres at being able to process where the scoring opportunity is and somehow get the puck to his teammate in a high danger position. I actually get excited when he is in that position and generally expect he will generate a scoring opportunity. 

He has been expected to be a dynamic offensive player, yet for most of his career he has not had a chance to play with the teams other dynamic offensive players. Now he is getting that chance with Cozens. Mitts/Cozens/Quinn will give us a strong offensively skilled and defensively responsible second line next year, I think. 

8 hours ago, TageMVP said:

He is just another guy. Bottom 6 guys are a dime a dozen. Top 6 potential is highly debatable, and his penchant for making critical mistakes is still evident. There's a reason Granato went with Quinn on the first line and not Mittlestadt. They tried that earlier on and it didn't work. I will agree that he has gotten slightly better, but not enough to think he needs or should stay. His career high in goals is 10, which is not good enough. There's no way any of our top prospects can't match 10 goals. I'd bet Savoie does that in his first season provided he plays enough games. Quinn already has 12, 2 more that Mittlestatds career high (lol) and he's a rookie. Quinn is already better

Probably because Quinn is a RW, and Casey is not.

As for the rest, I can't seriously take his full-year stats at face value since he was terrible early in the year. No one will deny that. He's not terrible now, he's probably at "pretty good" and "legit middle-6 wing". If one of the kids pushes him out, cool. But until one of the kids does that, he's a working piece of a decent team. I don't think 5'9" Savoie is going to replace his full skills set yet. Kulich has a better chance I suppose, but a 19-year-old kid has to be pretty exceptional to truly succeed in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

There is no player on the team who is better with the puck in tight quarters than Mitts. When he is working the boards/cycle on the forecheck he is simply one of the best I have seen on the Sabres at being able to process where the scoring opportunity is and somehow get the puck to his teammate in a high danger position. I actually get excited when he is in that position and generally expect he will generate a scoring opportunity. 

He has been expected to be a dynamic offensive player, yet for most of his career he has not had a chance to play with the teams other dynamic offensive players. Now he is getting that chance with Cozens. Mitts/Cozens/Quinn will give us a strong offensively skilled and defensively responsible second line next year, I think. 

I agree and to have 30 assists - playing with mostly who all year?  

Look of course you can do better then him and I wouldn’t lose sleep if we packaged him to get another D Man.  

I just think he’s been much better and doesn’t warrant some of the hate thrown at him.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him around 60 points if you surround him with a bit more talent on the 3rd line.  

Which next year could it be Casey-Savoie-Kulich?   

• Agree 2

On 3/9/2023 at 1:27 AM, PerreaultForever said:

I can't think of anything that makes this statement true. It might be, but I think that's just speculative. I see a guy who knows he has to be better to have an NHL career (here or elsewhere) and he is trying hard, but that effort still only elevates him to average at best. I doubt he'd be overly upset if he was traded.

Very much disagree with this take.  Everything he has said has given indications that he not only wants to be here but wants to be a leader here as well.  (Doubt he ends up one, but you can never have too much leadership/ buy-in in the room.)

On 3/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, Second Line Center said:

I agree and to have 30 assists - playing with mostly who all year?  

Look of course you can do better then him and I wouldn’t lose sleep if we packaged him to get another D Man.  

I just think he’s been much better and doesn’t warrant some of the hate thrown at him.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him around 60 points if you surround him with a bit more talent on the 3rd line.  

Which next year could it be Casey-Savoie-Kulich?   

Expected he'd be a 60 point player this year.  October and November blew that up.  But fully expect him to be a 60 point player next year.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Very much disagree with this take.  Everything he has said has given indications that he not only wants to be here but wants to be a leader here as well.  (Doubt he ends up one, but you can never have too much leadership/ buy-in in the room.)

Expected he'd be a 60 point player this year.  October and November blew that up.  But fully expect him to be a 60 point player next year.

Do you really think professional athletes are honest? Have you never seen Bull Durham? 

As I said, he might want to be "part of it" but how many guys in his age bracket with the restrictions they face with the CBA say anything other than how they are happy where they are. Chychrun I guess, but not many, as they all know they have few options. 

I don't hate Mitts and I do think he is trying hard, but I just don't see much upside. He will peak at average at absolute best. If he was replaced, I would forget him fairly quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

• 4 weeks later...

Casey’s next assist will be his 40th.

Now that isn’t nearly as impressive as 40 goals or 80 points, but it’s notable.

It’s a total only 12 Sabres have reached since 2000.

Danny Briere only did it once. Tim Connolly only did it once. Ryan O’Reilly never did it. Neither did Chris Drury.

He’s going to break 50 points, something only Eichel, ROR, Dahlin, Reinhart, Skinner and Thompson had done in a Sabres uniform prior to this season and since we launched the tank.

Has he changed any minds?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:33 PM, TageMVP said:

I dont think this is relevant. Would you be saying this if Bryson also echoed that same sentiment? Olofsson? 

Not a good benchmark to go by when only Olofsson and Bryson have a worse +/-. Minus 9 is minus 9. Not good when the team you play on is known for going bezerk in the goal scoring department. 

I dont mind the perceived value some think to seem hes gained. Makes him easier to trade. He's another failed pick of the Alex Nylander type. I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander turned out how Mittlestadt is now had he'd been given the same opportunities. 

Hope Adams trades him this offseason. Goodbye, Middlingstats 

This post is aging horribly 

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Danny Briere only did it once. Tim Connolly only did it once. Ryan O’Reilly never did it. Neither did Chris Drury.

He’s going to break 50 points, something only Eichel, ROR, Dahlin, Reinhart, Skinner and Thompson had done in a Sabres uniform prior to this season and since we launched the tank.

My mind was already made up.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If the mind hasn’t been changed then it’s closed minded 

A lot of early reactions with Mitts have aged very poorly. I am glad he’s developing. And I am glad DG is the coach that put him in a place to succeed and feel he’s contributing and effective. His confidence and vision has really blossomed in the past few months. Love it. Just because he’s a first round draft pick and not a high output 1st liner doesn’t mean he’s a failure as an NHLer. At least that’s how I see it. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Did you watch him flounder around in the first period? 

Or are you just going to cite stats from a team that is improving?

Remember, a rising tide lifts all boats, even the HMS Mittlestadt.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Did you think Casey was a passenger tonight?

25 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

If the mind hasn’t been changed then it’s closed minded 

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Did he bang your mom or something?  😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Saw this gem 8/2020 … 

”Still think he's only worth a 4th round pick.  You find a GM that'll give you more, you jump on it.  He's garbage.  Watching him play against professional players in both the NHL and AHL has cemented my opinion.  He simply doesn't have what it takes to be a professional hockey player.”

😂

I’m personally glad he’s doing so well. I hope he continues to develop and continue to prove he does belong in the NHL.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Maybe Mitts woke up and realized the tide was coming in. He seems to have decided to do what needs to be done to ride the wave rather than grab a PFD and float while the wave passes him by. I'll let KA and DG make the determination about where he fits. Either way it's good for the Sabres if Mitts has found his game or if Mitts has increased his trade value. 

• Like (+1) 1

This last third of the season there have been games where we would not have won if he weren't in the lineup; tonight is an example. 

Coming from someone who wanted him traded halfway through the season I now think Mitts has made himself nearly essential. The guy is out there exerting his will on the game and making good things happen. Have recent fancy stats been posted in this thread?

Anyone who has watched the behind-the-scenes content should clearly discern he has that older brother thing going on with the younger players. If you pay attention to the interviews with the players now they all have a very similar positive, team-is-family, work hard mentality - you might find a player with slightly better stats than Mitts to play regularly in the middle six but you're likely not going to find one who so fluidly allows the nurturing of that mindset while being a good model for the younger players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ... said:

you might find a player with slightly better stats than Mitts to play regularly in the middle six but you're likely not going to find one who so fluidly allows the nurturing of that mindset while being a good model for the younger players, and can fill in at 1C when needed.

Augmented that for you. 😄

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.