Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

59 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If the center spine is TNT & Cozens, what would an almost 60 point center making 2.5M next year to RFA be worth on the open market? 

Is that a top four D?

I’m happy for Casey and I’m not adamant that he gets traded, but showed this year that 3C isn’t his peak. His value has never been higher.
The Sabres also have reinforcements coming. 

Get me a D and set Casey free. 

EXACTLY, but at 2.5mil I am A O K with Middlestat as 3rd line Center. Who plays with him more Important, they have to be scorers now, not potential. Middlestat is an Assist machine.

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Weird, I always thought the 4th line was exactly where 1-dimensional players stayed.

Jost is not better than Krebs right now and has less potential to develop.

And this idea that Krebs isn’t fast enough is absolutely bizarre.

Krebs passes are off and goal shooting off net. So he is either to slow skating or brain is too slow. He is not instinctive.

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

EXACTLY, but at 2.5mil I am A O K with Middlestat as 3rd line Center. Who plays with him more Important, they have to be scorers now, not potential. Middlestat is an Assist machine.

Krebs passes are off and goal shooting off net. So he is either to slow skating or brain is too slow. He is not instinctive.

Aside from Krebs still having runway to develop, he was the piece in the Eichel trade KA waited on. KA is keeping Krebs over Jost if it comes to that and it isn't even close.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

My point being that I didn’t give up on Casey after 100 games, and I’m not going to give up on Krebs.

This is fair and reasonable.  I agree with you that Krebs has adapted to the role DG gave him and increased his physical play accordingly.  

That said, I still don't see the higher-end skill set that Mitts possesses.  I could easily be wrong.  He has scored at every level he has played at until now.  If he has a top 9 role next year playing with Mitts, I can see him being a breakout candidate.  My concern is that the next wave of kids is nearly here and he could easily get pushed out.    

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We all just saw Mitts take a huge step after 200+ games in 5 seasons, yet you can confidently say that Krebs is done after 130 games over 2 seasons?  

I do not see Krebs getting to Cozens level, but I didn’t see Mitts emerging either.   

I don’t get the one dimensional comment either.   He can play center and wing.   He has offensive skills and checking/PK skills   

I think Krebs will get another season to develop his game in Buffalo, if Savoie and Kulich push him out then he will be moved, but probably not before that.   Unless of course another team wants him this off season in a trade package that we cannot refuse.  

Every time Krebs played Wing he was out of the game after watching. His only place to stay in was 4th line. Results, Marginal.

Every person on the Sabres broadcasts have said Krebs is done at Wing. Granto has not put Krebs in on Wing even when Tuch went down. Krebs can't play wing, his shot sucks!

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I think that as of this moment Mittelstadt is our 5th best forward.

I don’t believe that necessarily means he has to be on the 2nd line. Coaches deploy players based on chemistry and matchups, not heirarchy and are constantly reshuffling the deck throughout the year based on the above.

Were you NOT saying he was a 1C. That is the case he beats out two wingers in Quinn and Peterka since he plays wing. You just won't say it or you mis-spoke he was a 1C.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's not what I said 

The top line with 120 minutes of mittelstadt centering took more shots, allowed fewer shots, scored more goals, allowed fewer goals, had more scoring chances, and allowed fewer scoring chances per game/minute/whatever than it did with Tage. I posted the stats in the game day thread. This does not mean I think Tage is a worse player than Mitts. I just countered SDS's insinuation because it didn't seem fair. I'm not sure why I did this because he's the worst poster on the board and pretends I don't exist but anyway 

Your point taken, but it still stands Middlestat on this team is no better than a 3rd liner. That is my point.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Aside from Krebs still having runway to develop, he was the piece in the Eichel trade KA waited on. KA is keeping Krebs over Jost if it comes to that and it isn't even close.

That has changed, Tuch produces like Eichel, not the same talent but better leader.

Adams won that trade with 1st pick too.

Krebs still develop in Rochester, no

Gonna get beat out in camp or Savoie and Kulich are not the real deal, top 6 Centers/Wingers some day.

Keep Middlestat no room for Krebs.

Right now, he is good trade bait for potential. "JOST" no room 😂

He's a guy that can play competently on any of the top 3 lines which makes him valuable.

Never said he wasn't valuable

Valuable as a trade

Valuable on 3rd line

Valuable as backup for TOP 6 in injury

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Well no wonder people are arguing with that point!

What point? Tell me who Middlestat removes in TOP 6.

I said Peterka but I know the board here wouldn't do that, Holy Grail right now. Besides, when Peterka is remove from 2nd line we tend to Lose games, that baffles me from his stat line but somehow he makes that line work.

Points for a clever pun. I think if the right trade offer comes up it could happen, but right now I wouldn't bet on it.

Teams need Potential and Cheap young players, Not Expense Vets who complain.

I would be keeping Krebs if we didn't draft 3 Centers last year. Two have earned BIG chances in Buffalo. Middlestat suddenly becoming a Center that can play TOP 6 has muddled things to. NOT sure Adams would trade him at 2.5 Million.

Really not about who Krebs is, about how talented Buffalo has become and deep Rochester and the Minors are. We were over staffed last year and brought two men in trade as Wingers, Jost and Greenway. There are three players ready to come up. Having hard time making lines without moving people. Sure would be nice having Girgenson back too.

Gonna give away Olofsson, 28 goals? will he have a good Return? You know Adams will not just give him away. When benched, always produces goals when he comes back. Do we win last two games without him? Tage was out, Olofsson produced.

Adams is going to take 28 goals over Krebs unless he gets value back.

We SHALL see!

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The bold is just not true. Krebs is 3 years older than Kulich and Savoie. Saying both aren't the real deal if at 19 they don't beat out 22yr old Krebs is just wrong. 

No, Krebs cannot develop in Rochester anymore. 

Yes I am saying just that. Krebs stat line sucks. He is a fighter and played well that way on 4th line but does nothing when he moves up.

Power, Levi, Quinn all produce young over older players, age has nothing to do with TOP LEVEL Talent

How hard is it to sub plant a 4th line Center?

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

It took both potential and patience to get today's Tage Thompson and Rasmus Dahlin.   

Yes, do we have 2-4 years to do this? Who stays off Roster to do this?

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

That has changed, Tuch produces like Eichel, not the same talent but better leader.

Adams won that trade with 1st pick too.

Gonna get beat out in camp or Savoie and Kulich are not the real deal, top 6 Centers/Wingers some day.

Points for a clever pun. I think if the right trade offer comes up it could happen, but right now I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

The bold is just not true. Krebs is 3 years older than Kulich and Savoie. Saying both aren't the real deal if at 19 they don't beat out 22yr old Krebs is just wrong. 

No, Krebs cannot develop in Rochester anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TRIP65 said:

Jost can play Center and Wing. That puts him over Krebs right now. Could care less about Potential, I have potential but like beer or I would be an ALLSTAR  🤣

It took both potential and patience to get today's Tage Thompson and Rasmus Dahlin.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Yes I am saying just that. Krebs stat line sucks. He is a fighter and played well that way on 4th line but does nothing when he moves up.

Power, Levi, Quinn all produce young over older players, age has nothing to do with TOP LEVEL Talent

How hard is it to sub plant a 4th line Center?

Yes, do we have 2-4 years to do this? Who stays off Roster to do this?

Well power is a 1st overall draft pick. Quinn was 21 this year. Levi is also 21 and only played 6 games. 

Age has EVERYTHING to do with where Savoie and Kulich are right now. So again, claiming they won't be anything if they don't supplant Krebs immediately is nonsense. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You know it is funny when Tage went out who took up the production, for that matter when hurt too. The guys on the outside did, not Krebs, even Quinn and Peterka didn't produce a ton of goals. Middlesat got assists to Tage and Skinner. Levi kept games closer to win. 3rd line gave us some help. We would be in the playoffs if Krebs produced a bit more. two lousy point, one game against Florida.  😶

The one thing about Casey, was always his health and staying on the ice.  This year he provided that and towards the later fourth of the season, really found his game.  he's showing tenacity and I really like him as a third line center.  He plays up with better paired linemates too.  So there's something here.  Always loved his personality and engagement in pressers, but always wanted to see more.  He's a Sabre. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Teams need Potential and Cheap young players, Not Expense Vets who complain.

I would be keeping Krebs if we didn't draft 3 Centers last year. Two have earned BIG chances in Buffalo. Middlestat suddenly becoming a Center that can play TOP 6 has muddled things to. NOT sure Adams would trade him at 2.5 Million.

Really not about who Krebs is, about how talented Buffalo has become and deep Rochester and the Minors are. We were over staffed last year and brought two men in trade as Wingers, Jost and Greenway. There are three players ready to come up. Having hard time making lines without moving people. Sure would be nice having Girgenson back too.

Gonna give away Olofsson, 28 goals? will he have a good Return? You know Adams will not just give him away. When benched, always produces goals when he comes back. Do we win last two games without him? Tage was out, Olofsson produced.

Adams is going to take 28 goals over Krebs unless he gets value back.

We SHALL see!

I see VO likely used as part of a package for a top 4 D. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

You know it is funny when Tage went out who took up the production, for that matter when hurt too. The guys on the outside did, not Krebs, even Quinn and Peterka didn't produce a ton of goals. Middlesat got assists to Tage and Skinner. Levi kept games closer to win. 3rd line gave us some help. We would be in the playoffs if Krebs produced a bit more. two lousy point, one game against Florida.  😶

Because age matters. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

They aren't trading him lol

I think you mean there is NO WAY Adams will. I don't blame him now. Other ways to get 4th position Defense. Freeagent Goalies available.

But keeping Middlestat as Center of 3rd line puts a lot of pressure on Krebs, since he won't beat out any Winger, not even Olofsson (hell of a shot, Powerplay).

Krebs will have to beat out Jost, Kulich, Savoie and any number of other centers in Minors to be 4th line center. Even Girgenson could beat him out I think, production alone if signed, he plays many more spots for team (Center, Wing, PK)

Mittelstadt will get the Chytil deal I think.  Same draft year, similar production.  4-5 years x $4-4.5 million per. 

Right now he is our 5th best forward.  I think he will be on the second line with Cozens next year.  Maybe with Quinn or Peterka on the other wing.  The last two games of the season we saw a bit of Quinn/Krebs/Peterka.  I could see Greenway/Cozen/Mitts as line 2 next year with the kid line, with Krebs for Cozens, as line 3.  I think there is a good chance that next year starts with the top 4 forward prospects all staying where they currently are.

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

Mittelstadt will get the Chytil deal I think.  Same draft year, similar production.  4-5 years x $4-4.5 million per. 

Right now he is our 5th best forward.  I think he will be on the second line with Cozens next year.  Maybe with Quinn or Peterka on the other wing.  The last two games of the season we saw a bit of Quinn/Krebs/Peterka.  I could see Greenway/Cozen/Mitts as line 2 next year with the kid line, with Krebs for Cozens, as line 3.  I think there is a good chance that next year starts with the top 4 forward prospects all staying where they currently are.

I think we're underselling how good Jack Quinn will be next year. I don't see any chance they split up Cozens and Quinn.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well power is a 1st overall draft pick. Quinn was 21 this year. Levi is also 21 and only played 6 games. 

Age has EVERYTHING to do with where Savoie and Kulich are right now. So again, claiming they won't be anything if they don't supplant Krebs immediately is nonsense. 

Savoie and Kulich are top level players where they are, producing. Krebs has Potential but he hasn't reached the Level at there age in the minors or LV wouldn't have traded him. Not a Team out there that didn't ask Adams for those two in a trade at the Deadline.

If they would have taken Krebs, We would be in the Playoffs right now.

Mike Drop

Boom!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.