Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

I realize Bills fans are salty for being the Patriots' plaything for 2 decades and want to discredit everything the Patriots did at any opportunity, but Belichick is an excellent coach* (and was initially also a good GM). It wasn't all Brady.

Good coaches adapt to their players available (never had an elite WR or RB except a couple seasons with Moss, varying between running teams, spread 5 offenses, and heavy 12 personnel. I mean, look at the run-only game against the Bills --- and it worked!). On the defensive side, lights out. He destroyed the Greatest Show on Turf (remember, Vinatieri had 3 GW Super Bowl kicks, but two times that's the defense, not Brady), owning Peyton Manning, etc.

As a GM, early on he was very good, later.... not so much. But the key thing for Belichick was the ability to move players the year before they slipped, or at their highest value. Richard Seymour comes to mind. Keep the winning going or get tied to your veterans? As a GM, he was cutthroat for awhile there, and it worked.

*Show me an all-time great coach who didn't have at least a competent QB -- and don't offer up one-hit wonders like whoever was coaching Trent Dilfer (who was an average QB) when the Ravens won that one Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY

Things that make you go hmmm. Also, the political forum is that way --->

This actually happened. It wasn't made up.  It's a real story. I don't think it's propaganda and I don't think it's cutting the segment short to fit into a TV show. NBC editing it out and getting exposed shows the type of decisions that a TV network makes covering a sporting event or maybe a news story. The story was covered by a number of different outlets, not just the Gateway Pundit. If you don't like the source I posted, choose any of these other ones: https://news.google.com/search?q=c.j. stroud jesus&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen 

And you're the one talking politics, not me.

Edited by Quint

12 minutes ago, Quint said:

This actually happened. It wasn't made up.  It's a real story. I don't think it's propaganda and I don't think it's cutting the segment short to fit into a TV show. NBC editing it out and getting exposed shows the type of decisions that a TV network makes covering a sporting event or maybe a news story. The story was covered by a number of different outlets, not just the Gateway Pundit. If you don't like the source I posted, choose any of these other ones: https://news.google.com/search?q=c.j. stroud jesus&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen 

Religion, politics, same thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I realize Bills fans are salty for being the Patriots' plaything for 2 decades and want to discredit everything the Patriots did at any opportunity, but Belichick is an excellent coach* (and was initially also a good GM). It wasn't all Brady.

Good coaches adapt to their players available (never had an elite WR or RB except a couple seasons with Moss, varying between running teams, spread 5 offenses, and heavy 12 personnel. I mean, look at the run-only game against the Bills --- and it worked!). On the defensive side, lights out. He destroyed the Greatest Show on Turf (remember, Vinatieri had 3 GW Super Bowl kicks, but two times that's the defense, not Brady), owning Peyton Manning, etc.

As a GM, early on he was very good, later.... not so much. But the key thing for Belichick was the ability to move players the year before they slipped, or at their highest value. Richard Seymour comes to mind. Keep the winning going or get tied to your veterans? As a GM, he was cutthroat for awhile there, and it worked.

*Show me an all-time great coach who didn't have at least a competent QB -- and don't offer up one-hit wonders like whoever was coaching Trent Dilfer (who was an average QB) when the Ravens won that one Super Bowl.

I don't take anything away from what Belichick did, but if you look at his past 5 years, a time when he consolidated his power over all aspects of the Patriots, these 2023 Patriots are the end result. And I question if he still has the skill to coach a team to success. Time passes even the greats.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

Glad you’re not among those Bills fans who do begrudge Belichick his luck in getting Brady in the 6th round and then develop into one of the best of all time. But many Bills fans are the very definition of the word when it comes to Belichick and Brady.

I think you misunderstood my point about great coaches and great QBs which is that I can’t think of a coach who has earned the reputation for greatness without also a great QB along side him. They tend to go together as I said. 

I agree Tomlin is also a great coach, but it’s worth remembering that he, too, had a HOF QB at the helm for 15 of his first 17 seasons with the Steelers, which further underscores the point about how the two go together. 

Don’t know that I can agree with the idea that Tomlin has gotten a “variety of teams to the playoffs”, either. Both he and Belichick reached the playoffs just once without their HOF QBs so far.

Tomlin is, I think, 37-30 without Big Ben at QB, just over 4 full seasons of games, and either with him, or without him, he still has never had a losing record.  Its not as many games as BB, but when you are talking 4 full seasons of games, AND the last season or 2 of Big Ben he was a shadow of himself, worn down and beat up, that says something to me positive about him I can't see at all in BB.

• Agree 1

I don’t care about Belichick, or Brady, or some imagined attack on Christmas.

What we should be talking about is does anyone truly believe that Josh Allen and Bills Mafia (another thing I really can’t stand) have the power to deny the NFL, and their desire to have Taylor Swift in a box at the Super Bowl?!

I wonder how many parents of teenage girls are going to realize in six months that they’ve been paying $9.99/month for a streaming service they didn’t even know they had. Hope they like soccer.

I don't get all the 'Bills Mafia' hate.

Don't think of The Godfather trilogy.  Don't think about gansters and hit men and organized crime.

The Mafia (traditional Sicilian) was intensly loyal.

That is why a certain element of Bills fans started calling themselves that.  It has stuck and has garnered positive national attention.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

14 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Brian Billick was the Ravens coach.  Joe Gibbs won the Super Bowl with Doug Williams, Jay Schroeder, and Mark Rypien.  John Gruden won with Brad Johnson.  Bill Parcells won with Jeff Hostetler.  

There are just enough coaches who won the Super Bowl with journeymen QBs to make the argument that you don't need a great QB to win.  Bills fans debated this alot during the drought.  But I don't buy it.

I'm with you, in most cases, a coach needs a great QB to be a consistent winner, and to win the Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don’t care about Belichick, or Brady, or some imagined attack on Christmas.

What we should be talking about is does anyone truly believe that Josh Allen and Bills Mafia (another thing I really can’t stand) have the power to deny the NFL, and their desire to have Taylor Swift in a box at the Super Bowl?!

I wonder how many parents of teenage girls are going to realize in six months that they’ve been paying $9.99/month for a streaming service they didn’t even know they had. Hope they like soccer.

Swift dumping Kelce on live tv and jumping into a love triangle with Josh Allen and Kate Bishop… that would make for some great tv for the tmz crowd. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Quint said:

No one is arguing it didn't happen. The only argument is whether it's a nefarious plot against the Lord and Savior, or a couple of editing peons saying, "let's cut this 8 seconds of not answering the question". The viewer's preconceptions of the world will determine which option rings true to them (and how much it matters).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't get all the 'Bills Mafia' hate.

On some level, I do. I mean I understand where it comes from. There are certainly things to point to, to cite as evidence that #BillsMafia is dumb, hypocritical, lame, etc.

But I think all of that's misplaced, wasted energy. And I agree that it's way more fun to put your arms around #BillsMafia and promote it as a slogan (metaphysical repository?) for everything that's good about being linked by Bills fandom.

There's a choice to be made, as there usually is.

Go Bills.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

for everything that's good about being linked by Bills fandom.

and it ain't all good, btw. there's plenty that's not so great to downright awful.

but that's the human experience, innit?

and there's a choice to be made on where one's focus will settle.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:03 PM, PASabreFan said:

Exactly how hard do Evangelicals want to press their thumb down on the rest of this country?

Thumb? Think you mean boot. 

16 hours ago, Quint said:

Stop, you are absolutely talking politics. NBC shouldn't have edited the clip the way they did. We can all move on. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

As a GM, early on he was very good

Belichick has drafted more head coaches in 2008 alone than 1000 yard wide receivers in his entire tenure as a Pats GM. That's really impressive, when you consider the fact that Brady was the guy throwing to those receivers for so many years.

2008 round 1: Jerod Mayo (new Patriots HC)

2008 round 3: Kevin O'Connell (Vikings HC since last season)

2009 round 7: Julian Edelman (the only WR drafted by Belichick to hit 1000 yards in a single season)

16 hours ago, Quint said:

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/clubs/2-the-oval-office-politics/

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2024 at 7:27 AM, SwampD said:

1. If they wanted Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl, they would have given her the halftime show.
  2. She will be touring in Japan when the Super Bowl happens anyway.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:
  1. If they wanted Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl, they would have given her the halftime show.
  2. She will be touring in Japan when the Super Bowl happens anyway.

1. They would have had to pay her, then. EDIT: Never mind. They don't get paid. The NFL is ridiculous.
2. Why do you know this?

Edited by SwampD

Just now, SwampD said:

2. Why do you know this?

Because someone was peddling the same conspiracy theory as you on Twitter and someone else said she'd be in Japan.  Her last date in Japan (which I checked before posting) is Feb. 10, then she moves on to Australia.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Because someone was peddling the same conspiracy theory as you on Twitter and someone else said she'd be in Japan.  Her last date in Japan (which I checked before posting) is Feb. 10, then she moves on to Australia.

It's not conspiracy. It's the NFL.

And if that's the case, the Vince Lombardy is ours!!!! 😂

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Tay Tay (to quote the Swifty YouTuber Dr. Becky Smethurst) turned down the Super Bowl because she would not get paid.  Am I misinformed?

15 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Not only does the nfl not pay artists for halftime shows but I heard last year that it’s often labels paying the NFL for the privilege of lipsyncing to millions. 

I just wish we would go back to the old days where it was actually good commercials.. 

The good times..

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS!

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I thought Tay Tay (to quote the Swifty YouTuber Dr. Becky Smethurst) turned down the Super Bowl because she would not get paid.  Am I misinformed?

Quite possibly.  And if it's true that the NFL doesn't pay its halftime acts, there would be no reason for Tay Tay to play it.  She's at the height of her popularity; there's no reason to do a free publicity gig.