2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

No, but if that did happen, I'd find that humorous.....😀 

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

I believe that. Same as stubbing your toe. Not funny to the victim but funny to others. Either way, Adams would have to be chump of the year to actually think that is a good proposal for the Sabres. He's not a chump.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Rejected Rejection GIF by HULU

Yeah but the rest of us do.

Halloween Lol GIF by giphystudios2021

Noted (see above). 😉

I don't believe there is a Sabre fan currently paying attention to this team who thinks that garbage fantasy proposal is even remotely good. Dude was getting flamed so badly that he stopped replying/trying to defend his indefensible position about halfway thru the comments. What a delusional dolt.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Kane's only route to this roster is as a UFA at about 2x$2.5M to play 3W and the Sabres would have to move VO to make it happen (once Quinn and JJP take their steps forward on the scoresheet). Kane has no other use to this team.

Kane, a year older next year than he is this year, will be a worse player and less productive than VO.  That move would be a step back for this team.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Kane, a year older next year than he is this year, will be a worse player and less productive than VO.  That move would be a step back for this team.

It doesn't matter who you propose to trade for Kane, it will be a case of a player on the rise going out from Buffalo to bring in a declining player who is already at JAG level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Unfortunately, the majority of fans aren’t like us.  Ok maybe fortunately.  They don’t watch every game, know all the players height, weight and junior/college/Europe team.  They catch a few games here and there.  Watch the highlights, hear the breaking news.   

Those fans still need convincing. A guy like Kane moves the needle for them.  They just don’t know he sucks now. 

I don't think he sucks now (...yet). Kane played last season with DeBrincat, Kubalik, Hagel, Dach... they all put up points with him. They've all put up points with their new teams. This season, in proper tank mode, Kane is playing with Dickinson, Domi, Kurashev, and their most dynamic sniper in Raddysh (who's looking pretty good, honestly. He was great against the Sabres). But this year's Blackhawks teammates are a step down across the board and Kane's numbers have suffered in both zones accordingly.

This season it's just a matter of fit. Kane is a playmaker first who transitions fine but has lost a step. He doesn't displace JJP or Quinn because we're playing the kids (and they have higher ceilings than Kane does within the next 3 seasons). He doesn't have center versatility like Mitts. He is not a sniper like VO, though he's better all around offensively. Who would put the puck in the net on a line of Mitts-Jost-Kane? He doesn't do any of the things that Girgs or KO or Tuch do. The player he'd best displace is Skinner, which can't happen because of NMC and cost and the top line has been so solid.

25 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I don’t know if it happens but talks have heated up regarding Jakob Chychrun to Buffalo. 
They are not the only ones in it and I don’t think it goes all the way to the deadline. 

That would be a needs orientated pick up. I prefer a defenceman over a forward, but wouldn't be opposed to an affordable boards & body banger brought in as well. In any case, nice to hear Adam's and company are active. Thank you for the update.

Edited by Scottysabres

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I don’t know if it happens but talks have heated up regarding Jakob Chychrun to Buffalo. 
They are not the only ones in it and I don’t think it goes all the way to the deadline. 

Here's my Chychrun offer and I think it is low. 

2024 1st (top 10 protected), highest of the 2023 2nds (probably phillies around 42), Ryan Johnson, and Isak Rosen. 

They get essentially 3 first round picks (Johnson, Rosen, and 2024) plus a high second in a deep draft. If Johnson won't sign they still get a 2nd round pick in 2024. I think this is low but it would be my offer to them. I could probably be convinced to swap out an asset such as Ryan Johnson if they don't think he will sign but they do need a LHD prospect. Rosen is expendable with Kulich and Östlund in the pipeline but still offers Arizona a fast winger with 60pt upside if they are patient (which they can afford to be) to play with Bedard or Fantilli or Benson or Smith or Carlsson. 

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Can you tell your source to tell Adams to grab Lawson Crouse as well. Thanks😁

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Not a bad idea

I was tempted to agree until I saw he was signed for 4 more years at 4.3million. That is just too much term IMPO for a guy who will be bumped down the roster as prospects come online over the next 3 years. If he had 2 more years after this, sure I am in. 4 is 2 too many for me. He essentially would be the Okposo, Zemgus, 3/4 line winger replacement and idk if I want 4.3mil tied up into that for 4 more seasons is all I am saying especially after we clear the 6mil to Okposo this year that I think some have been unhappy about for awhile. 

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's my Chychrun offer and I think it is low. 

2024 1st (top 10 protected), highest of the 2023 2nds (probably phillies around 42), Ryan Johnson, and Isak Rosen. 

They get essentially 3 first round picks (Johnson, Rosen, and 2024) plus a high second in a deep draft. If Johnson won't sign they still get a 2nd round pick in 2024. I think this is low but it would be my offer to them. I could probably be convinced to swap out an asset such as Ryan Johnson if they don't think he will sign but they do need a LHD prospect. Rosen is expendable with Kulich and Östlund in the pipeline but still offers Arizona a fast winger with 60pt upside if they are patient (which they can afford to be) to play with Bedard or Fantilli or Benson or Smith or Carlsson. 

I think my very first post on this subject was Rosen, Johnson and a Protected first so that’s pretty close. I don’t have a feeling where they are at now.

Kane sorta made sense in past seasons, where our offense was an issue & a weapon like Kane (plus him being from Buffalo) made him look like a great addition. But times have changed now, our team is different & our offense is now a strength of the team & a player like Kane, isnt as attractive as before.

Truth is we don't need him & as everyone stated, he'd most likely be a net negative for what we'd have to give up. If we're gonna pay a high cost, pay to upgrade an area of weakness, ie: defense/goalie

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I think my very first post on this subject was Rosen, Johnson and a Protected first so that’s pretty close. I don’t have a feeling where they are at now.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the price has dropped just a hair because Arizona, A. wants to finish low in the standings and Chychrun being there doesn't help and B. they want assets to be ready for their big move to their new building so wants to reset now before the deep 2023 draft AND C. hasn't gotten offers close to what they thought they would for Chychrun due to most of the league having cap issues already. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

I think the Kane talks are crazy.  If he was from anywhere else would anybody link him to Buffalo.  At this stage in his career he is not what we need.  

I read somewhere on the internet (could be nhl.com), a rumor of Joel Edmundson to Buffalo.  He fits the need of a 4/5 defenseman, he is big and mobile, he has 2 years left on contract, he has veteran experience and a Cup ring.  He should not break the bank.  This kind of deal seems more likely than Chyckrun.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5

I do think Chychrun would make this team better, but I'm just not sure I would go in that direction long term.  To me it isn't about having the best group of players you can at every roster spot, it is about having a hanful of GREAT players and then having guys to pair with them what compliment them well at a good price.

I try to look at the D-unit going forward.  I think Dahline is your #1 guy, Power you hope is #2. One of them should be on the ice  for 75% of the game.  The D-partner for each of them doesn't have to be a high priced guy, he can be a guy who has limitations BUT pairs well with Dahlin or Power.  Dahlin wants to join the rush alot? Let his long term D-partner be a guy you pay a bit less, but one who lacking in scoring or carrying the puck but can make a good first pass and doesn't get caught up ice much. Something like that. 

Now that may be hard to find that 'right guy' but they have some time to do that.

So your THIRD pair is only going to get about 10 minutes even strength ice time per game ideally.  I don't want them to be AWFUL, but I can save a bit of money there (and divert it to other parts of the roster) by doing so.  Maybe make one of those 3rd pair guys a stellar Penalty killer, and he can get some additional ice time on the PK so you rest Dahlin and/or Power then. 

Maybe one of those 3rd pair guys is Samuelsson.  He has the ability to step up in the lineup in injuries, and he will be your top D-man getting PK ice time.  And with him as the anchor on the 3rd pair, you at least aren't awful there.  Then find 3 other 'reasonable' priced guys that have a skill set that compliments Dahline and Power, instead of just getting the best overall D-man you can to plug into those spots and overpay for skills that they don't need to use with their partner.

And as for Kane, again, I don't want him for free. I do not think he is a good player overall already.  You might be worse on the ice with him compared to any of the younger wingers the team has, AND he is going to only be a year older and slower next year.  

Let someone else take him. In the right situation, where you ask nothing of him in the D-zone, he gets all the PP time he wants, he gets offensive zone starts....maybe, MAYBE he can put up some points for a team that has a huge, massive lack of talent on the Wing.  This Sabres team is not that.

Edited by mjd1001

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.