GDT - Sabres @ Blues - January 24, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As far as the game goes, when almost everyone else was hanging on by their fingernails, Henri Jokiharju was continue to skate miles and break up rushes.

Another very solid effort from #10.

I keep hearing that KA has to get D help. I just don’t see it.

Our D problems have been with the forwards not covering, and I think they’ll figure that out as well.

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As far as the game goes, when almost everyone else was hanging on by their fingernails, Henri Jokiharju was continue to skate miles and break up rushes.

He's not on the same level as Dahlin, or probably even Muel or Power for that matter, but he's an unsung hero.  And over the last few games he's played better than Muel who seems to be in a funk at the moment (nagging injury?)

Bryson, I think, isn't as bad as many here say.  He has his flaws; I'll grant that.  But he is pretty good at moving the puck up and out of the defensive zone.

23 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:
2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Caps broadcast also has a smokeshow on it...are the Sabres the only broadcast team that doesn't feature a hottie in some role?

Getting weird bro

It took me a while to even know what he meant by "smokeshow"; eventually got it from context.  I agree:  Getting weird.

Edited by Doohickie

17 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Our D problems have been with the forwards not covering, and I think they’ll figure that out as well.

I think Bryson is our weakest defenseman.  I still think he's more positive than negative, but out of the top six he's the one I would upgrade.  Now that Boosh seems to be recovered from whatever was ailing him, Bryson and Boosh seem to complement each other and seem to be developing some chemistry.  I thought Clague might be climbing over Bryson on the depth chart but apparently not.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I'm watching regardless but it's a "nice to have".

Clearly the people in charge of hiring the broadcast team think it's important since virtually all the other teams have one. FYI, it's not by accident.

That team also never had the top end elite level talent this one does.

Thompson, Dahlin and Power are significantly better than anyone on that team from a pure talent level.

We are talking these players as they currently stand, right? Owen Power is not “significantly better” or more “purely talented” than Danny Briere, Tim Connolly and a host of other players on that team. 

Danny Briere ALSO was a top 10 scorer that year, along with Tage this year 

people really just be saying anything nowadays 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think some of our D problems have to do with having a top 4 D playing huge minutes who has fewer than 60 NHL games under his belt.  Power's very good for someone with so little experience but he's still learning the NHL level.  He's almost always in position, but doesn't always make the play.  For instance he was standing right next to Barbashev but only waved his stick at him instead of boxing him out and Barbashev had plenty of room to spin around and score.  Lay the body on him, young man.  (In Power's defense you could also blame it on lack of communication as Barbashev was Joki's guy until just before the pass came in, or even say Joki should have boxed Barbashev out before he even got to the prime slot position.)  But yeah, he still has some learning to do.

7 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Might as well explain if you have an answer 

UPL in the last 10 minutes is why we won… 

Why this has faulty logic. UPL, imo, gave up 2 goals I would have liked to see him stop. Because he gave up those 2 goals I would have liked to see him stop, we were in a 1 goal game in the 3rd period necessitating that he make those other stops that you and others are giving him so much praise for. So by saying things like he won it for us in the last 10 minutes it ignores the fact, again IMO, that we were in a 1 goal game to begin with. Also in the last 10 minutes he made 2 stops that were nice and one was by the paddle of ethron lucky. 

Again it doesn't really matter since we won. My comment that I would like to see Comrie get a start had more to do with the team in front of him than UPL. Comrie has never really played in front of this Sabres team and I'd like to know what we have in him. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

We are talking these players as they currently stand, right? Owen Power is not “significantly better” or more “purely talented” than Danny Briere, Tim Connolly and a host of other players on that team. 

Danny Briere ALSO was a top 10 scorer that year, along with Tage this year 

people really just be saying anything nowadays 

No I am talking purely from an elite talent standpoint. Power will be significantly better than anyone on that team within 3 years.

Edited by matter2003

Agree Comrie deserves a start which I assume will be against his old team the Jets. And even then that will not be a true indication of whether he is capable started as the Jets are very good and score tons. 

As for the defense that everyone likes to dish on, having coached for many years a pile of different level hockey teams (and even girls for several years) one thing you learn is that you can teach defense but you cannot teach offense.  Slowly this team will get better defense as they learn. The main thing is they sure can score. And if one looks around the NHL most teams play rather wide open. Living north of TO I can see the Leafs anytime and watch them  occasionally to hope they lose but they win and rely on their goalie to stop lots of shots. And while everyone likes to dump on VO and talk of how all he does is score, the leafs have Nylander who is pretty much the same player and they love him.

As for hot females on games, here in TO both Sportsnet and TSN have hotties doing everything on their games and reports and even have Jason Botterill's sister!

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I noticed this as well. Joki played a very calm, smooth, effective and in control game. He and Power are playing very well together.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Well, I’d say that during the stretches where the Sabres are getting worked in the D-zone, which occur pretty regularly, it’s a team effort.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Agree. Many fans think bad defense means bad defensemen.  Not necessarily.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.