GDT - Sabres @ Blues - January 24, 2023 - 8:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

If your goalie wins 12 out of every 18 games he plays... the other numbers (save %, etc.) won't matter so much. UPL also gets some wicked goal support.

He does and he lets in 3 a game most nights but yeah, wins are the #1 stat. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Cozens was smart to chip that puck out first and race to it. Weak play by Kyrou to not desperately defend.

Huge win. Too bad the Pens won.

UPL finds a way.

2 for 2 on this trip, keep it up.

He's such a stud. Complete stud. 

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

If your goalie wins 12 out of every 18 games he plays... the other numbers (save %, etc.) won't matter so much. UPL also gets some wicked goal support.

You're implying wins are a goalie stat and idk if I'd go that far. 

Still, credit to UPL for the big saves down the stretch. He played well to close out the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Weird response 

UPL 13-5-0-1  3.31 GAA .899 SV% (but after a rough start he has a .915 SV% and is 10-3 over his last 13)

Anderson 8-6-0-2  2.73 GAA  .917 SV%

Comrie 4-8-0 3.87 GAA .883 SV%

Why would anyone ever want to see Comrie play again for the Sabres? He's the main reason we're not in a playoff spot right now.  Nice guy...sure...quality goalie - sure doesn't look like it

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You're implying wins are a goalie stat and idk if I'd go that far. 

How can wins not be a goalie stat? That's a number/analytic that trumps every other number. That's what the game is about. UPL made some big stops that were a significant factor in the win. In this win I don't recall UPL allowing in a weak goal. There was one goal where the shooter put in a laser shot that was high on his glove side. On that shot I credit the shooter more than criticize the goalie . 

1 minute ago, CTJoe said:

UPL 13-5-0-1  3.31 GAA .899 SV% (but after a rough start he has a .915 SV% and is 10-3 over his last 13)

Why would anyone ever want to see Comrie play again for the Sabres? He's the main reason we're not in a playoff spot right now.  Nice guy...sure...quality goalie - sure doesn't look like it

12 games defines Comrie’s existence?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

I've been really disappointed in Comrie...had fantastic metrics last year, 2nd only to Sheshterkin in GoalsSavedAboveAverage/60

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CTJoe said:

Martin Jones in Seattle is 22-6-3 with a .894 sv%. Sometimes the numbers don’t always add up with goaltending and success. UPL does give up some questionable goals but he seems to make the right ones on this run in order to help the team win games.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How can wins not be a goalie stat? That's a number/analytic that trumps every other number. That's what the game is about. UPL made some big stops that were a significant factor in the win. In this win I don't recall UPL allowing in a weak goal. There was one goal where the shooter put in a laser shot that was high on his glove side. On that shot I credit the shooter more than criticize the goalie . 

The first goal was kinda weak. He should have had the stick on the ice in that situation as he was already down in the butterfly.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Martin Jones in Seattle is 22-6-3 with a .894 sv%. Sometimes the numbers don’t always add up with goaltending and success. UPL does give up some questionable goals but he seems to make the right ones on this run in order to help the team win games.

Seattle scores a lot so that helps too.

6 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

I ran the numbers of each goalie during the defense-injury and 8-game losing streak madness... I don't know which thread it was anymore. But Comrie was the one who suffered most from the injuries/streak. He hasn't had chance to play with Samuelsson or the team when it's been playing well.

Comrie will have that shield up. We've gotta give him more time!

(probably next season after Anderson retires and UPL gets more consistent.)

Edited by DarthEbriate

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you ignore the 10 minutes where he let in 2 questionable goals, yes. 

Nope… UPL in the last 10 minutes is why we won… It’s the win that matters… not the goals against… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

The first goal was kinda weak. He should have had the stick on the ice in that situation as he was already down in the butterfly.

One possible weak goal and a half dozen exceptional stops to secure a win. I'll take that ratio any day of the week. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.