Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure what more the county could have done, but the city's response has been ridiculously poor.

Without going into it, there were critical failures in the lead up. State level. County level. Local level.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Without going into it, there were critical failures in the lead up. State level. County level. Local level.

But in all fairness it was far better than in 77 when there was literally almost no lead time from the time forecasters warned people and the storm hitting and absolutely ZERO in the way of emergency preparedness back then...that didn't even exist. In large part this area's future responses were learned from all of the failures then.

At this point I'm questioning why the Thruway isn't open yet.  I know it was bad in parts, but from the little I have seen, even in the worst hit areas many/most abandoned cars/trucks seem to be moved out of the way, and from the traffic cams it looks like it has been plowed.  

Once you plow it and salt it and the snow (for the most part) stops, the best way to keep it clear or get down to the pavement is have traffic over it to 'work' the salt in.  

Besides, on social media alone, i have seen a lot of posts of people who are stuck in Rochester or near Erie trying to get through the area, or people in Buffalo trying to get out. One common thing is, they have been stuck for so long they will take ANY route once it becomes available. As travel bans are lifted, you are going to have some people not famaliar with the area trying to drive out of, or through the area on surface streets.  Wouldn't it be better to focus on 'lifting the travel ban' on the thruway and getting pass-through traffic on there rather than keeping the thruway closed and 'lifting the travel bans' on communities?  I don't know, maybe I'm missing something but with the plows of the state dot doing the thruway (they only do the thruway, not local routes) it would seem that wouuld make sense.

What am I missing?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

But in all fairness it was far better than in 77 when there was literally almost no lead time from the time forecasters warned people and the storm hitting and absolutely ZERO in the way of emergency preparedness back then...that didn't even exist. In large part this area's future responses were learned from all of the failures then.

Yes I’m glad they were “better” prepared this year compared to 45 years ago. I’ll just say, from what I know is different than what I think I know. And what I know is, leadership on all levels are doing a massive CYA maneuver and not being fully honest in press conferences. But what else is new with politicians and elected officials. No back pedaling or excuse making will change my mind on the incompetence the state, county, and local “leaders” have proven to me. It could have been handled much better. And wouldn’t have been difficult.

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

At this point I'm questioning why the Thruway isn't open yet.  I know it was bad in parts, but from the little I have seen, even in the worst hit areas many/most abandoned cars/trucks seem to be moved out of the way, and from the traffic cams it looks like it has been plowed.  

Once you plow it and salt it and the snow (for the most part) stops, the best way to keep it clear or get down to the pavement is have traffic over it to 'work' the salt in.  

Besides, on social media alone, i have seen a lot of posts of people who are stuck in Rochester or near Erie trying to get through the area, or people in Buffalo trying to get out. One common thing is, they have been stuck for so long they will take ANY route once it becomes available. As travel bans are lifted, you are going to have some people not famaliar with the area trying to drive out of, or through the area on surface streets.  Wouldn't it be better to focus on 'lifting the travel ban' on the thruway and getting pass-through traffic on there rather than keeping the thruway closed and 'lifting the travel bans' on communities?  I don't know, maybe I'm missing something but with the plows of the state dot doing the thruway (they only do the thruway, not local routes) it would seem that wouuld make sense.

What am I missing?

Because the thruway being open would necessitate those exits being opened in places where the surrounding area still is like a warzone. Southtowns just got blasted with 3-4 feet of lake effect yesterday so now that area needs to be plowed out as well...

It makes no sense to allow people to travel into and thru areas where travel bans are still in effect.

That's what you are missing. 😃

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yes I’m glad they were “better” prepared this year compared to 45 years ago. I’ll just say, from what I know is different than what I think I know. And what I know is, leadership on all levels are doing a massive CYA maneuver and not being fully honest in press conferences. But what else is new with politicians and elected officials. No back pedaling or excuse making will change my mind on the incompetence the state, county, and local “leaders” have proven to me. It could have been handled much better. And wouldn’t have been difficult.

People being out in this and wanting to go "sightseeing" as usual cause the biggest headaches. Why people can't just sit their @sses at home for 48 hours I'll never understand.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Because the thruway being open would necessitate those exits being opened in places where the surrounding area still is like a warzone. Southtowns just got blasted with 3-4 feet of lake effect yesterday so now that area needs to be plowed out as well...

It makes no sense to allow people to travel into and thru areas where travel bans are still in effect.

That's what you are missing. 😃

I guess I don't know the conditions of the on/off ramps.  I just think overall its better to get the main artery going rather than having people that would use it try to navigate surface streets instead, which makes cleaning them a lot harder than keeping the thruway plowed.  

Edited by mjd1001

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think the single largest issue that impacted response was all of the idiots that refused to stay off the roads while the storm was raging, and all the non essential employers that didn’t shut their doors and tell their employees to stay home Friday morning.

Those two things happen and emergency response becomes a factor of 10 more simplified, and fewer in volume combined.  

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well, tell or don't, but the rest of the county is opening up by 7pm today.  Buffalo isn't.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I think the single largest issue that impacted response was all of the idiots that refused to stay off the roads while the storm was raging, and all the non essential employers that didn’t shut their doors and tell their employees to stay home Friday morning.

Those two things happen and emergency response becomes a factor of 10 more simplified, and fewer in volume combined.  

This is so true.  Had my wife had to work Friday morning, she would have been stuck at Galleria since then like those who started the morning shift.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Those who forced employees to come in that ended up dead due to being stuck should be criminally prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Pure scum 

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, Weave said:

You're not wrong here.  Starting the driving ban at midnight Friday (and announcing it Thursday noon) would have been the move.

• Like (+1) 2

The City of Buffalo needs to do something like this, which Boston did 5 years ago:

Adopt-A-Hydrant

Develop an app, let people volunteer, sign up, provide contact information, where they live, what they can do (plow, snowmobile, etc.) and then develop an attack plan based on utilizing that extra help.

Basically crowd source the emergency response.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The City of Buffalo needs to do something like this, which Boston did 5 years ago:

Adopt-A-Hydrant

Develop an app, let people volunteer, sign up, provide contact information, where they live, what they can do (plow, snowmobile, etc.) and then develop an attack plan based on utilizing that extra help.

Basically crowd source the emergency response.

There are a lot of things “snow” cities do better than Buffalo. This is definitely an easy no brainer. Not only Buffalo but the suburbs and all of Erie and Niagara county. This is just one thing out of a few things, the state, county, and local “leaders” can implement.  They are so arrogant in thinking they know what’s best. And continue to fail when true leadership is  required.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

There are a lot of things “snow” cities do better than Buffalo. This is definitely an easy no brainer. Not only Buffalo but the suburbs and all of Erie and Niagara county. This is just one thing out of a few things, the state, county, and local “leaders” can implement.  They are so arrogant in thinking they know what’s best. And continue to fail when true leadership is  required.

Maybe if everyone didn’t “consider the source” like you, they would have stayed at home and it would have been better.

People that complain about a once in a lifetime event are just awful.

16 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why? 

Because it SUX.  It doesn't have to be innocents in the Ukraine being shelled or loved ones dying of cancer for people to want to kvetch about what's bugging them.  We have a whole thread for BS complaints, you know?  Do I wander in there and announce that others' complaints are petty?  I realize this doesn't affect you in New Jersey because not even bad weather wants to visit New Jersey, but for those of us who have been locked in for 96 hours now, it's a good place to lay off steam.  There are hundreds of other threads available...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.