Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

One thing I'll say as an impartial observer Canadian that lives less about 45min away from Buffalo (who by the way hasnt seen a single flake). Maybe I don't have all the facts 100% correct, and maybe it's the 4 or 5 IPAs talking, but please try to catch my overall gist. 

It seems every year, you hear of all these natural disasters throughout the US, whether it's Hurricanes in the south, wildfires in California, tornados across the plains and Midwest... Etc...  A lot of these places are much more affluent than the Western NY area, and at the same time pay a lot less tax. Then every five years or so, Buffalo gets absolutely POUNDED by a storm that would absolutely cripple any other part of the country. Yet time after time, Western NY'ers dig themselves out. No FEMA disaster money... No help from the rest of the country... They know where they live and spend the necessary tax money to take care of themselves.

I think the areas that live in areas that are prone to other types of natural disasters should pay an additional tax or insurance to pay their own fair share of the FEMA money, that one day they'll be cashing in on. Places like WNY should be exempt, or pay a lot less, because they seem to do a good job of taking care of themselves. 

Just my thought. Best wishes to everyone going through it right now, though I'm sure as always, you'll come through just as you always do.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Always amazed at these snow events.  Take it easy to all those affected and stay safe. 

I figure this must help put everything in perspective with the typical fall activities of cleaning up leaves and putting away the patio furniture, and finding the snow shovels.

Buffalo always seems to get so much snow. "Lake effect" or whatever it is but I remember growing up in Hamilton, just a short drive away and we'd get like half a foot and you'd get 2-3 feet for the same storm. I was always amazed at how high the snow piles were in Buffalo when we visited.

I vaguely remember a story from way back (not sure which year, mid 70s maybe?) where there was a Sabres game and one of the Sabres had so much snow at his front door he couldn't get out. I think it was Jocelyn Gouvrement and he was getting a ride to the rink for the game from (I think) Lee Fogolin (maybe I have that reversed it was long ago) but he had some sort of all terrain jeep or something and so he tosses some equipment out a second story window, gets out on the roof, slides down the snow bank and wades/digs his way to the curb and off they go and make the game last minute. 

I'm thinking today all the members of the current team would just call in sick and go back to bed. (and I know they'd cancel the game in today's world, but still.......)

• Like (+1) 1

Snow?  Schmoe!  I flew home from Iceland yesterday during the height of the event.

(Okay, so our flight from Reykjavic to JFK went smoothly.  The flight from JFK to BUF on Friday was canceled.  Rescheduled for Saturday at 6 AM.  Then, that flight was canceled.  Rescheduled to Sunday at 3:30 PM.  Not liking the prospect of spending 53 hours in the JFK airport (or the $350 per night for a room at the airport hotel), we changed our flight to fly into Rochester.  We had to rent a car in Rochester, but we drove to our home in Lockport without seeing a single snowflake in the air.  We got home only 3 hours later than we would have normally.  This morning, we are getting a bunch of snow here.  Amazing how knowing how lake effect snow works and a little assistance from jetBlue employees helped to avert a really lousy weekend!)

BTW, temps in Iceland were in the upper 40's to lower 50's.  It rained quite a bit and the wind was strong at times, but it had better weather than Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 2

It isn't a blizzard.  Just a historic lake effect snow storm.  Orchard Park has 77 inches so far and expected to get another 9+ tonight.

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Just a point of clarification, it is wind that makes a blizzard a blizzard and not snow.

The blizzard of ‘77 brought no new snow with it. It was all snow blown off of the frozen lake.

This is just a snowstorm.

Actually that is incorrect. It brought about a foot of new snow with it.

11 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

One thing I'll say as an impartial observer Canadian that lives less about 45min away from Buffalo (who by the way hasnt seen a single flake). Maybe I don't have all the facts 100% correct, and maybe it's the 4 or 5 IPAs talking, but please try to catch my overall gist. 

It seems every year, you hear of all these natural disasters throughout the US, whether it's Hurricanes in the south, wildfires in California, tornados across the plains and Midwest... Etc...  A lot of these places are much more affluent than the Western NY area, and at the same time pay a lot less tax. Then every five years or so, Buffalo gets absolutely POUNDED by a storm that would absolutely cripple any other part of the country. Yet time after time, Western NY'ers dig themselves out. No FEMA disaster money... No help from the rest of the country... They know where they live and spend the necessary tax money to take care of themselves.

I think the areas that live in areas that are prone to other types of natural disasters should pay an additional tax or insurance to pay their own fair share of the FEMA money, that one day they'll be cashing in on. Places like WNY should be exempt, or pay a lot less, because they seem to do a good job of taking care of themselves. 

Just my thought. Best wishes to everyone going through it right now, though I'm sure as always, you'll come through just as you always do.

Areas that are prone to hurricanes, tornados, floods,  etc. do indeed see that reflected in their homeowners insurance rates. 

Taxes to cover FEMA is another story.  That might come out of one Federal tax bucket.  I don’t know for sure this but the general thought is the States are UNITED at Federal level. 

Buffalo is unique.  In all my US travels I’ve have not seen another place that has people with more pride and are more willing to help each other out.  The National media mostly shows the sensational angle on the weather, there are better stories about the people pulling together that hopefully come out of it. 

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Taxes to cover FEMA is another story.  That might come out of one Federal tax bucket.  I don’t know for sure this but the general thought is the States are UNITED at Federal level. 

There are lots of disaster-prone areas in states with little or no state income tax; people in states like NY are subsidizing people in those states because they rely more on federal funds than we do (and not just for disaster-related spending, either).  @JoeSchmoe 's point is a good one.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.