Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Peak wind gust of 73mph at the Buffalo airport so far...

Expecting 55+ mph winds through tomorrow night and 2-3+ feet of snow...Buffalo Metro expecting 35"...imagine what the drifts will be like

Sounds like the Blizzard of '77 with MOAR SNO

• Like (+1) 1

https://nbc-2.com/features/commentary/2022/11/19/commentary-shovel-off-to-buffalo-the-blizzard-of-1977/amp/

The blizzard of 1977 hit Western New York and Southern Ontario from January 28 to February 1. Daily peak wind gusts ranging from 46 to 69 mph (74 to 111 km/h) were recorded by the National Weather Service in Buffalo, with snowfall as high as 100 in (254 cm) recorded in areas,[1] and the high winds blew this into drifts of 30 to 40 ft (9 to 12 m).[2] There were 23 total storm-related deaths in Western New York, with five more in northern New York.[3]

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://nbc-2.com/features/commentary/2022/11/19/commentary-shovel-off-to-buffalo-the-blizzard-of-1977/amp/

The blizzard of 1977 hit Western New York and Southern Ontario from January 28 to February 1. Daily peak wind gusts ranging from 46 to 69 mph (74 to 111 km/h) were recorded by the National Weather Service in Buffalo, with snowfall as high as 100 in (254 cm) recorded in areas,[1] and the high winds blew this into drifts of 30 to 40 ft (9 to 12 m).[2] There were 23 total storm-related deaths in Western New York, with five more in northern New York.[3]

I've always wondered how much fresh snow fell in that storm versus how much of it was previously fallen snow from the surface of Lake Erie that was merely wind-distributed across the area.

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m 95% sure this is wrong. As I remember there was little snow. City was buried by snow that was blown off the frozen lake. Of course, my children prove 90% of my favorite stories wrong.

We sledded off of the roof of our house.  Small one-storey house, but still.

Edited by Eleven

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m 95% sure this is wrong. As I remember there was little snow. City was buried by snow that was blown off the frozen lake. Of course, my children prove 90% of my favorite stories wrong.

This was covered on the first page of this thread. I said there was zero new snow in that storm and was proven wrong. I looked it up and he was right. 

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

We sledded off of the roof of our house.  Small one-storey house, but still.

I spent a little time googling my recollection. One site talks about 100 inches of snow in some areas, another site backs up my recollection of only 12 inches of “new” snow couple with snow from the frozen lake.

Edited by tom webster

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

77 had 100” of snow in 4 days.

On the one hand,

Daily peak wind gusts ranging from 46 to 69 mph (74 to 111 km/h) were recorded by the National Weather Service in Buffalo, with snowfall as high as 100 in (254 cm) recorded in areas,

On the other (from the same Wiki article),

During the blizzard, about 12 in (30 cm) of "new" snow fell

...which is what I remember.

I have to wonder if the "100 in" was drifted snow.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

On the one hand,

The lake froze early that year, and it was a relatively snowy year, so there was a bunch of old snow piled up on Lake Erie that ended up in Erie Co.  That’s the balamce of the 100”.  Drifts were in the range of 10-20’.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

On the one hand,

It wasn't "drifted" as per typical snow drifting.  Those of us in the snow belt had an entire lake's worth of snow picked up & then dumped as individual flakes accumulating to several feet deep.  Have a really cool picture from a few days later of the dog jumping from the driveway onto the 6'+ snow bank the driveway had been cut through.   The snowbank was taller than my mother standing next to it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

We did as well in Genesee County, two story too.

Awesome memories for me as a kid but probably quite stressful for my parents. 

Meh. If they were like my parents, they most likely had a freezer filled with half a cow, and shelves of canned goods that would have lasted months. The only stress was would the beef fridge run out.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

image.jpeg.3df50574d766c8d7f11f595701b3cc1c.jpeg

that looks like about 8 feet + of snow.

Not new snow! Though. Most of it was blown in of off the frozen lake.

Edited by SwampD

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It doesn't matter whether it was new or old.  It still was snow and it still got in the way of living normally.

What is normal?

My normal is staying in, having a drink by the fire and playing my bass. Weather changes nothing for me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My parents apparently are being jackasses and went to the supermarket even though they NEED nothing.  They have enough food, TP, soap, etc. for weeks.  Thanks to God they got back home.  It took them 30 minutes to drive seven blocks home from the market.  I'm one step away from applying for a freaking guardianship.

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

playing my bass

Is that what we're calling it now?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I spent a little time googling my recollection. One site talks about 100 inches of snow in some areas, another site backs up my recollection of only 12 inches of “new” snow couple with snow from the frozen lake.

It’s still snow.  Blow 12 inches of snow in my driveway and I have 12” to shovel.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It’s still snow.  Blow 12 inches of snow in my driveway and I have 12” to shovel.  

Exactly.  I don't care where the snow came from.  It wasn't on my parents house and then it was over the 2 story house.  If the wind picked up off the lake and dropped it on my neighborhood, it still fell.  

For anyone lucky enough NOT to be in this area...here is a good view of what it looks like.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

It wasn't "drifted" as per typical snow drifting.  Those of us in the snow belt had an entire lake's worth of snow picked up & then dumped as individual flakes accumulating to several feet deep.  Have a really cool picture from a few days later of the dog jumping from the driveway onto the 6'+ snow bank the driveway had been cut through.   The snowbank was taller than my mother standing next to it.

The winds were blowing it so hard that it was turned into something resembling concrete that had to have specialized equipment to remove it because the normal plows and equipment wasn't getting it done.

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.