Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sidewalks are not curbside in the city any more than they are in the suburbs, unless you're talking about Main Street downtown, which isn't the issue (and the sidewalks there are wide enough to accommodate snow removal).  I've had three homes here in 20 years, all three on major streets; all of them have had a grass strip between the street and the sidewalk just like Amherst.  Even Elmwood and Delaware have space between the sidewalk and the street.

Population density is an issue.  But cars parked on the side do not impede plowing--trust me, I had to dig my car out of plowed snow when I lived on Richmond many, many times.  They just plow the snow into the car and it's the car owner's responsibility to dig out, as it should be.

Pulling together involves staying off of the roads, yes, but it also involves a collective discussion about how and why we are in the state we are in.

Good points. As some one who has grown up and spent a good portion of my adult life in the west side and Elmwood Village area, sidewalks at my families house in the suburbs are a convenience. Sidewalks in the city are much more a mode of transportation. 

I don't think you can have a conversation about emergency response for city residents without talking about both parking and sidewalks. But most of that is neighborhood dependent. North Buffalo is in a much better spot than the WS and EV in terms of road width, parking, etc. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The city got hit way harder than the northern suburbs.  I am not surprised it is taking longer for the city on this go-around.  There are more roads, more cars parked in the streets, etc.

The one criticism I have is that the driving ban needed to have been started at Midnight Thursday-Friday with only those at work being allowed to go home -- and that needed to be county-wide.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Out of curiosity, how and when did UB leave for their bowl game?

Their IG posted the team at the Rosa Parks Museum in Alabama "4 days ago". They would have had to have left before the storm in order to be in AL on Christmas or Christmas Eve.

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The city got hit way harder than the northern suburbs.  I am not surprised it is taking longer for the city on this go-around.  There are more roads, more cars parked in the streets, etc.

The one criticism I have is that the driving ban needed to have been started at Midnight Thursday-Friday with only those at work being allowed to go home -- and that needed to be county-wide.

That is one idea that could have helped.
With the 100% knowledge that this storm was gonna be very very nasty days in advance … Another is issuing movement orders to the National guard on Wednesday morning to get staged locally in key areas with equipment. And if they weren’t needed, so be it. And if they are, they are already staged and ready to help Friday afternoon/evening. I have it on good authority, this idea was talked about and decided to take a wait and see approach.

It also would not take much planning and execution to designate some schools or churches as disaster relief locations with modern dual fuel generators. Or designate larger buildings those that have large wood burning fireplaces. I know a few restaurants, country clubs, and institutions that have wood burning fireplaces that could house between a few dozen to several hundred people.

I know it’s a multi idea approach that a few posters have mentioned. All good to great ideas!

A chain is as strong as it’s weakest link. Find those weak links and fix it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

That is one idea that could have helped.
With the 100% knowledge that this storm was gonna be very very nasty days in advance … Another is issuing movement orders to the National guard on Wednesday morning to get staged locally in key areas with equipment. And if they weren’t needed, so be it. And if they are, they are already staged and ready to help Friday afternoon/evening. I have it on good authority, this idea was talked about and decided to take a wait and see approach.

It also would not take much planning and execution to designate some schools or churches as disaster relief locations with modern dual fuel generators. Or designate larger buildings those that have large wood burning fireplaces. I know a few restaurants, country clubs, and institutions that have wood burning fireplaces that could house between a few dozen to several hundred people.

I know it’s a multi idea approach that a few posters have mentioned. All good to great ideas!

A chain is as strong as it’s weakest link. Find those weak links and fix it. 

Weak links,  Hochul and Brown

Question for people who still live in Buffalo. When you say there's a driving ban in Buffalo, are you using Buffalo as a generic term for the area or in a literal sense? For instance, you can drive down Delaware through Tonawanda and Kenmore and the ban starts at the city line. Is this correct?

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Question for people who still live in Buffalo. When you say there's a driving ban in Buffalo, are you using Buffalo as a generic term for the area or in a literal sense? For instance, you can drive down Delaware through Tonawanda and Kenmore and the ban starts at the city line. Is this correct?

Yes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.