Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

Besides the snowmobile volunteers, Imagine if Erie and Niagara county shared a half dozen or so of these snowcat machines. They can be used. No need for brand new ones. They would have helped immensely with the medical emergencies for the last 4 days.

5B4DA380-BFF0-42B5-AA80-28FFE9AE838F.jpeg

EE290A15-A1AC-4167-9601-11674360D8B4.jpeg

C429D411-E73A-4870-AB53-258D646F4810.jpeg

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Besides the snowmobile volunteers, Imagine if Erie and Niagara county shared a half dozen or so of these snowcat machines. They can be used. No need for brand new ones. They would have helped immensely with the medical emergencies for the last 4 days.

I would love to hear the complaints of government waste had those been purchased.

Cry about too much government. Then cry when they aren’t there to save you. It’s ridiculous.

Boo hoo. Why doesn’t everyone have their own snow mobiles? Then they don’t have to rely a being saved by government.

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Because it SUX.  It doesn't have to be innocents in the Ukraine being shelled or loved ones dying of cancer for people to want to kvetch about what's bugging them.  We have a whole thread for BS complaints, you know?  Do I wander in there and announce that others' complaints are petty?  I realize this doesn't affect you in New Jersey because not even bad weather wants to visit New Jersey, but for those of us who have been locked in for 96 hours now, it's a good place to lay off steam.  There are hundreds of other threads available...

I’ve gone without power for two weeks. Several times since I=e lived here. I didn’t cry about the grid. I actually got a second generator. Made sure I had enough food.

Sometimes sh!t’s f**cked up. There doesn’t always need to be someone to blame.

Edited by SwampD

Just now, SwampD said:

I’ve gone without power for two weeks. Several times since I=e lived here. I didn’t cry about the grid. I actually got a second generator. Made sure I had enough food.

Sometimes sh!t’s f**cked up. There doesn’t always need to someone to blame.

Good for you.  Maybe take a step away from this thread and get off of everyone else's backs.  You've spent more time complaining about us in here than we have spent complaining about the situation, now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You know thats not A) Financially viable for a lot of people and B) Not viable at all if you live in an apartment.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, sabills said:

You know thats not A) Financially viable for a lot of people and B) Not viable at all if you live in an apartment.

I would just love to see Zamboni’s posts, if a month ago, mark poloncarz wanted to purchase a fleet of snowcats. That would be gold. 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

You are privilege boasting.  Cut it out. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

You are privilege boasting.  Cut it out. 

Sure. The only house I could afford down here was in a flood zone. Without a genny, if I lost power, my basement would fill up with chest deep water. It wasn’t privilege. It was money I would rather have not spent but had no choice.

12 hours ago, Zamboni said:

For a less than once in a decade event….

The root cause is people on the road during a ban.  Like Eleven mentions, the single most impactful change to storm planning and crisis management would have been to initiate the driving ban sooner, and aggressively enforce it prior to the flash freeze that preceded the snow event.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Sure. The only house I could afford down here was in a flood zone. Without a genny, if I lost power, my basement would fill up with chest deep water. It wasn’t privilege. It was money I would rather have not spent but had no choice.

Sure, but because you have a generator you think everyone else has the means to get one. 

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

The root cause is people on the road during a ban.  Like Eleven mentions, the single most impactful change to storm planning and crisis management would have been to initiate the driving ban sooner, and aggressively enforce it prior to the flash freeze that preceded the snow event.

Agreed, they had plenty of time for advance notice on this that it was going to be a very rare type of event that happened here.  But of course you have the people in the area(who almost always live up in Lewiston, NF or Youngstown that get no snow or very little) who claim it was a massive overreaction to shut down the area.

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Sure, but because you have a generator you think everyone else has the means to get one. 

Sometimes it come down to means ($), and other times it comes down to priorities.   Some people with limited means are still prepared for emergencies like this. They are just wired to be. 

(and vice versa) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Weave said:

How did your folks make out? Did your dad keep his soldered dustpan tool to clear the furnace i/o-take?

39 minutes ago, SwampD said:

How did your folks make out? Did your dad keep his soldered dustpan tool to clear the furnace i/o-take?

Noone lost power, so their biggest concerns are snow removal. Surprisingly, Dad remembered to clear the furnace exhaust.

Regarding generators and stuff, my plan B if the generator won’t fire is 2 propane buddy heaters and a freshly filled 20lb tank.  A buddy heater is a pretty affordable insurance policy against a couple of days without power.  

• Like (+1) 1

Unless every essential worker lives just north of me, I can assure you all that very few people are obeying this driving van.  It went from about four cars per minute on Sunday, to eight yesterday, to just regular traffic today.

And I'm not sure how many essential workers drive tricked-out Mercedes SUVs, but I've seen two of those in the last hour.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Noone lost power, so their biggest concerns are snow removal. Surprisingly, Dad remembered to clear the furnace exhaust.

Regarding generators and stuff, my plan B if the generator won’t fire is 2 propane buddy heaters and a freshly filled 20lb tank.  A buddy heater is a pretty affordable insurance policy against a couple of days without power.  

Those buddy heaters are cool,… elitist.😂

And you can get an off brand generator now for less than my mom pays for a month of cable. When I think about it, though, I do know some people that should absolutely not own a generator.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Unless every essential worker lives just north of me, I can assure you all that very few people are obeying this driving van.  It went from about four cars per minute on Sunday, to eight yesterday, to just regular traffic today.

And I'm not sure how many essential workers drive tricked-out Mercedes SUVs, but I've seen two of those in the last hour.

Do we really want to spend hundreds of thousands on sno-cats to save those people once every 50 years?

Although, it's most likely going to become more frequent.

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Do we really want to spend hundreds of thousands on sno-cats to save those people once every 50 years?

Although, it's most likely going to become more frequent.

1.  Who is "we"?  You don't live here!  And the City has plenty of sno-cats, just not the giant ones that someone *other than me* suggested.  And the point isn't to save people who flout the law; it's to make it possible to have shorter driving bans.

2.  Yes it is.  It already has become more frequent.

Just wait for the floods at the end of this week...oh boy...

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.