Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

1.  Who is "we"?  You don't live here!  And the City has plenty of sno-cats, just not the giant ones that someone *other than me* suggested.  And the point isn't to save people who flout the law; it's to make it possible to have shorter driving bans.

2.  Yes it is.  It already has become more frequent.

Just wait for the floods at the end of this week...oh boy...

Well...not necessarily going to happen.  There wasn't widespread flooding in Snowvember II a few weeks ago when all that snow melted relatively quickly in a week or so. Will depend on if there is ice blocking the waterways now.

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

1.  Who is "we"?  You don't live here!  And the City has plenty of sno-cats, just not the giant ones that someone *other than me* suggested.  And the point isn't to save people who flout the law; it's to make it possible to have shorter driving bans.

2.  Yes it is.  It already has become more frequent.

Just wait for the floods at the end of this week...oh boy...

Do you own or rent? Cuz it might not be you, either, 😂  and I spend enough money in Buffalo and Erie county over the course of every year for it to be "we."

My 82 year old mom was alone this Christmas because of the storm. In fact, she couldn't open the doors to her house for over two days. It's "we."

I'm sorry you hate Jersey so much. I feel the same way about Jersey as I do Buffalo. They are both a lot nicer than their reputations (for the most part) and that impression is just fine cuz it keeps the jag-offs away.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Do you own or rent? Cuz it might not be you, either, 😂  and I spend enough money in Buffalo and Erie county over the course of every year for it to be "we."

My 82 year old mom was alone this Christmas because of the storm. In fact, she couldn't open the doors to her house for over two days. It's "we."

I'm sorry you hate Jersey so much. I feel the same way about Jersey as I do Buffalo. They are both a lot nicer than their reputations (for the most part) and that impression is just fine cuz it keeps the jag-offs away.

Swamp, I like you, and I know you, and I want to keep you as a friend, but maybe don't come into this thread.  82-year-old mom or not (I've got some ottos myself).  You're not getting it, and you're being a jerk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My uncle who has lived in California for the last 20 years thinks it’s stupid that the Sabres canceled their game today. 

The Bills found a way…or whatever. 

I moved out of Buffalo in 2019 and am still in NYS. I wanted to jump through the text message and smack him in the face.

I have friends who had to climbed out their windows to shovel out their doors to let their dogs out. Another friend who was living in a tent in their kitchen with no power and just constantly boiling water to stay warm. My family was ok, but my friends grandma lost power for 4 straight days. My grandfather was in the hospital and the nurses on his floor worked 2 shifts staying in a hotel nearby. My friends wife (doctor) was at another hospital for 5 straight days.

I was super annoyed. Thanks for letting me rant. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

My uncle who has lived in California for the last 20 years thinks it’s stupid that the Sabres canceled their game today. 

I moved out of Buffalo in 2019 and am still in NYS. I wanted to jump through the text message and smack him in the face.

I have friends who had to climbed out their windows to shovel out their doors to let their dogs out. Another friend who was living in a tent in their kitchen with no power and just constantly boiling water to stay warm. My family was ok, but my friends grandma lost power for 4 straight days. My grandfather was in the hospital and the nurses on his floor worked 2 shifts staying in a hotel nearby. My friends wife (doctor) was at another hospital for 5 straight days.

I’ve been in CA for over 25 years, and I can honestly say you have every right to be annoyed.  I selfishly miss the Sabres too but I could never be so myopic as to not see the effect this storm has had on the community at large.  I spent hours on Christmas Day checking in on friends and family throughout the region. I actually had to change the subject when some inquired how our weather was (it was 83 and sunny).  I was so happy my parents scheduled their trip to visit us early this year, otherwise I would have been worried about them all weekend.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mango said:

You can thank the CBA which strictly forbade any team activity of any kind on Dec. 24, 25, and 26. The Sabres’ only available option was to organize as a team on Tuesday morning, transport everything to Rochester, and attempt a flight to Columbus from there. This after not playing for more than a week. The logistics were against them the entire time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

You can thank the CBA which strictly forbade any team activity of any kind on Dec. 24, 25, and 26. The Sabres’ only available option was to organize as a team on Tuesday morning, transport everything to Rochester, and attempt a flight to Columbus from there. This after not playing for more than a week. The logistics were against them the entire time. 

There was/is a driving ban correct?  Frankly there's no option but to postpone the game. No one should be driving.. The Sabres personnel and players are not essential. The fact that the Bills players somehow were allowed "IN" was stupid too.

People just feel like sports should be above so many other things... it's just entertainment.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

43 minutes ago, LTS said:

There was/is a driving ban correct?  Frankly there's no option but to postpone the game. No one should be driving.. The Sabres personnel and players are not essential. The fact that the Bills players somehow were allowed "IN" was stupid too.

People just feel like sports should be above so many other things... it's just entertainment.

CBA aside it was the right thing to do by the league. The city is/was in the middle of a national weather emergency where there was a driving ban and the national guard was called in. Seems stupid to ask a hockey team to fly out. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I’ve been in CA for over 25 years, and I can honestly say you have every right to be annoyed.  I selfishly miss the Sabres too but I could never be so myopic as to not see the effect this storm has had on the community at large.  I spent hours on Christmas Day checking in on friends and family throughout the region. I actually had to change the subject when some inquired how our weather was (it was 83 and sunny).  I was so happy my parents scheduled their trip to visit us early this year, otherwise I would have been worried about them all weekend.  

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

2 hours ago, LTS said:

He also though the city was getting soft for moving the last weather game to Detroit. He is still going on about it. I just told him to call it a day and become a Rams fan already. I feel irrationally angry about this. ha!

I will likely spend the rest of his life trolling him about how the Rams offseason is going and whether they have a shot at the SB. 

11 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The county executive is going to talk to the governor about taking over future plowing responsibilities. Essentially taking it way from the mayor of Buffalo. The glass house finger pointing has begun. 

It's not finger pointing.  I wasn't kidding; the city has done a terrible job.

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The county executive is going to talk to the governor about taking over future plowing responsibilities. Essentially taking it way from the mayor of Buffalo. The glass house finger pointing has begun. 

I noticed this with the issue of reports as to whether National Guard MPs and outside policing agencies would be ticketing those who violated the driving ban in the City of Buffalo.  Mayor Brown said no and that any reports did not come from his office.  County Executive Poloncarz said no and that reports began with a subordinate within his office.

Why would you publicly divulge that there would be no ticketing? This would only encourage individuals to violate the ban, no?

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's not finger pointing.  I wasn't kidding; the city has done a terrible job.

Oh I agree. But the main “leaders” of the state, county and local failed the public to a degree. It’s not only the Mayor of the city. It’s embarrassing and sad on all fronts.

11 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Oh I agree. But the main “leaders” of the state, county and local failed the public to a degree. It’s not only the Mayor of the city. It’s embarrassing and sad on all fronts.

I'll repeat:  I fail to see how the state or county could have done anything more than enact and enforce the driving ban a little earlier.  I see no failure on their parts. The city is the only place where we can't drive, still, for a reason.  And this isn't political--those three are aligned.  This is just institutionalized incompetence in Buffalo.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

Also I'm starting a thread in the politics club for the people who want a deeper political discussion of what's going on.  I don't think criticizing officials in this thread crosses the line and I would ask that mods not move such posts--but we can have a more robust discussion about the city-county-state relationship, and whether certain "leaders" are obsolete/ineffective, in the thread I'm going to start.

• Like (+1) 1

Population density and street parking complicate snow removal.  Plus you can’t just push the snow to the sidewalk like you can on county roads where sidewalks don’t exist. And if they do exist, they aren’t curbside like the city.

The city is always going to be the last to open because it has the most to deal with. Let’s pull together here.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Population density and street parking complicate snow removal.  Plus you can’t just push the snow to the sidewalk like you can on county roads where sidewalks don’t exist. And if they do exist, they aren’t curbside like the city.

The city is always going to be the last to open because it has the most to deal with. Let’s pull together here.  

Sidewalks are not curbside in the city any more than they are in the suburbs, unless you're talking about Main Street downtown, which isn't the issue (and the sidewalks there are wide enough to accommodate snow removal).  I've had three homes here in 20 years, all three on major streets; all of them have had a grass strip between the street and the sidewalk just like Amherst.  Even Elmwood and Delaware have space between the sidewalk and the street.

Population density is an issue.  But cars parked on the side do not impede plowing--trust me, I had to dig my car out of plowed snow when I lived on Richmond many, many times.  They just plow the snow into the car and it's the car owner's responsibility to dig out, as it should be.

Pulling together involves staying off of the roads, yes, but it also involves a collective discussion about how and why we are in the state we are in.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.