Blizzards of 2022

GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Everyone can do what they want. When it comes to that comment, Me personally, I’ll consider the source. 

The storm is bad. Real bad. 

I don’t know ***** about him other than the office he holds.  I’m not an Erie Co resident.  But hearing how the county emergency response is being affected, and my memories of ‘77, it sounds like the overall impact isn’t that far apart.  I’m not gonna dismiss that statement.  The impact of this storm just a few miles from me is pretty historic.  The rural communities affected by this storm are getting crushed.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

This isn’t worse than 77. Nor will it be. But this is a doozy. I have roughly 12” of snow in 90% of my front and back yard, and a few drifts in my yard of 5 ft. Still have power thank god.

We lost power for about 7 hours.  Not a major issue, can heat the house w/ wood & did, but took forever (well, literally hours) to get the generator started because it was so cold.

One thing those pushing for all electric power generation/usage don't think about is when the power goes out you aren't heating your house nor are you recharging your car's battery.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We lost power for about 7 hours.  Not a major issue, can heat the house w/ wood & did, but took forever (well, literally hours) to get the generator started because it was so cold.

One thing those pushing for all electric power generation/usage don't think about is when the power goes out you aren't heating your house nor are you recharging your car's battery.

Glad you’re safe 👍🏼
Totally agree about the ignorant all electric mindset.

next step is to get away from electric starts for furnaces. Natural gas is still flowing but the furnaces can’t fire up due to GD electric starts 😡
In some parts of the country it may work awesome. And that’s fine. But in the northeast, all electric stuff doesn’t f***ing work in all conditions. Oh and how is electric created? Hmmm I know some who advocate for an all electric society don’t know that answer.

I think I’ll go to a couple nearby neighbors to see if their furnaces are working. Maybe have to clear away snow from their intake/outtakes 👍🏼

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

But hearing how the county emergency response is being affected,

This is the main problem that I'm reading about.  People need to stay home and not put further stress on the system.  Even if it means missing Christmas with family--which is my current state of affairs, although my parents have been informed that any more illicit grocery trips will result in legal action.

Edited by Eleven

For the Catholics out there--this is the official message from Bp. Fisher:

Many areas of Western New York are facing heavy snowfalls and drifting along with extremely high winds, bitter wind chills, and power outages.  These are dangerous and life-threatening conditions.  Please respect the travel bans in our communities.  Although it is Christmas, in these dangerous conditions, no one should put themselves or others at risk. 

This Christmas, I have asked those parishes who have live stream capabilities to live stream their Christmas Masses.  Do not attempt to attend Masses in person.  Use the live stream technology to spiritually connect with others in prayer as we celebrate the birth of Christ.  Also, please check on neighbors who may be in need. 

I wish all a Blessed and Safe Christmas, especially our first responders, utility workers, hospital workers, and all those serving our communities during this historic storm.

• Like (+1) 2

I think I’m gonna attempt to snowblow my driveway around 7:30-8:00pm. Just to get out and do something. If it’s too much or too cold I’ll come back in. I have about 2 feet of snow. And the plow finally went by for the first time so the end of the driveway is about 4 feet.

I’m thankful my power is still on.

Wish I knew how to resize pics.

One of the more terrifying memories of my childhood was late Jan. 78. I was 7 then and the youngest, after that storm my older brother and mom had to dig out of the 2nd story window of the house in order to get us out, there was a deceased gentleman in a car in the parking area, although, we didn't know it at the time.

This one is definitely in the top 3 of winter storms for me at least, in my life time for this area.

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Wish I knew how to resize pics.

One of the more terrifying memories of my childhood was late Jan. 78. I was 7 then and the youngest, after that storm my older brother and mom had to dig out of the 2nd story window of the house in order to get us out, there was a deceased gentleman in a car in the parking area, although, we didn't know it at the time.

This one is definitely in the top 3 of winter storms for me at least, in my life time for this area.

If the photo is on your iPhone, you click Add Files in your Sabrespace post.
Click photo library.

Chose your photo. Then At the bottom, you should see at the bottom “show selected”. Click that.

Then lower right corner you should see “actual size”. Click that. You should have files choices of small, medium, large, actual size.  Choose medium. 

Click done, click add.

Then submit your photo to the Sabrespace post.

At least that’s how I do it…. 

I hope that helps you or anyone else. 👍🏼

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

If the photo is on your iPhone, you click Add Files in your Sabrespace post.
Click photo library.

Chose your photo. Then At the bottom, you should see at the bottom “show selected”. Click that.

Then lower right corner you should see “actual size”. Click that. You should have files choices of small, medium, large, actual size.  Choose medium. 

Click done, click add.

Then submit your photo to the Sabrespace post.

At least that’s how I do it…. 

I hope that helps you or anyone else. 👍🏼

Trying it

And thank you

I now have to throw a full dig biscuit out the door to get my dog outside. The snow doesn't bother him but the wind does. 

Power has held out so far. 

Oh yea, I used a plastic scraper that was for mudding drywall to scrape my front door window so I could see out. Then I drank more beer.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Also, did someone tell this guy about the travel ban?  https://www.noradsanta.org/en/map

He's good.  He's got Rudolph.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

On this Xmas eve and the 7th night of Hanukkah my thoughts and prayers are with all my Sabrespace cohorts and their families.  

So this.  THIS.  Is the only thing that can distract you from the Sabres' goaltendeer and defensman deficiencies?

😉

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He's good.  He's got Rudolph.

So this.  THIS.  Is the only thing that can distract you from the Sabres' goaltendeer and defensman deficiencies?

😉

No, but it’s Christmas and Hanukkah.  Peace on Earth and all that.  

Honestly I’m worried about friends and family back home and truly hope everyone stays safe.  Once a Buffalonian always a Buffalonian.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My stepdad was in the hospital for 10 days and just came home before the storm hit.  I'm glad the storm didn't hit when he got sick.  From what I've heard everyone back home is hanging in there.

Did you see any cold temps from the storm @GASabresIUFAN?  We got down to 11 Thursday night and managed to keep our pipes from freezing.  We should be back up above freezing tomorrow and it will warm up pretty nicely in the 60s in the next few days.

• Like (+1) 1

I am blessed left on Wednesday before storm into Seattle... drove to Bend Oregon with my family to be with my brother and his... storm had already moved through bit of rain messed up skiing yesterday... small problems... just enjoying everyones company for Christmas... be safe back east all Sabrespacers... looks awful... Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My stepdad was in the hospital for 10 days and just came home before the storm hit.  I'm glad the storm didn't hit when he got sick.  From what I've heard everyone back home is hanging in there.

Did you see any cold temps from the storm @GASabresIUFAN?  We got down to 11 Thursday night and managed to keep our pipes from freezing.  We should be back up above freezing tomorrow and it will warm up pretty nicely in the 60s in the next few days.

The temp was nearly the same here.  We just didn’t have any rain or snow.  It was 16 most of the day today and got down to 8 overnight.  

12 hours ago, Weave said:

I don’t know ***** about him other than the office he holds.  I’m not an Erie Co resident.  But hearing how the county emergency response is being affected, and my memories of ‘77, it sounds like the overall impact isn’t that far apart.  I’m not gonna dismiss that statement.  The impact of this storm just a few miles from me is pretty historic.  The rural communities affected by this storm are getting crushed.  

That’s amazing.I no longer live in Buffalo but I lived through 77. The most incredible experience of nature in my life. Just astounding. 

If this is similar, wow. And crazy after what has already come that way this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.