OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

My employer closed our facility.  Never expected that.  But this in my first Winter there, so what do I know.

Happy day off, I guess.

It ain't a steak and BJ, but it'll do.

So weird. The roads are...fine. It seems the plows are taking a more lax approach this morning though, since most schools are closed. 

So weird. The roads are...fine. It seems the plows are taking a more lax approach this morning though, since most schools are closed. 

The NWS predicted snowfall rates appear quite manageable.  I think everyone is seeing totals of 12-18" and assuming it will all come in one day.  But this is a 2 day event.  6" over a 24 hr period is easy-peazy.

I'm wondering if the closures have been "encouraged" by our Governor, who has already declared a state of emergency if I am not mistaken.

The NWS predicted snowfall rates appear quite manageable.  I think everyone is seeing totals of 12-18" and assuming it will all come in one day.  But this is a 2 day event.  6" over a 24 hr period is easy-peazy.

I'm wondering if the closures have been "encouraged" by our Governor, who has already declared a state of emergency if I am not mistaken.

That or they don't want to take a chance of stuff getting nasty after the kids are already at school when most schools have only burned 2 days to date. Could be a combo of the 2, but short of the governor giving schools the typical daily state aid for each kid attending school even though none did today, I'd expect it's more on having banked snow days than playing nice w/ Uncle Andy.

That or they don't want to take a chance of stuff getting nasty after the kids are already at school when most schools have only burned 2 days to date. Could be a combo of the 2, but short of the governor giving schools the typical daily state aid for each kid attending school even though none did today, I'd expect it's more on having banked snow days than playing nice w/ Uncle Andy.

Colleges, universities, and businesses too though.  Seems to be an overreaction given the forecast all along was 1/2" per hr of snow.

I'm a little confused too. Is it because we haven't really had much snow to deal wth this season yet? I'm seeing 7-14 inches, this usually happens 4 or 5 times per winter around here. 

My thought is because the Winter has been relatively mild so far, there are a bunch of "unused" snow days for schools still available to use if they needed. Since this will be the last big snow storm of the year, it might not be so bad to be extra cautious and preemptively cancel schools. That way they don't have a PR nightmare for having students/people trapped on campus if it does get bad.

Either that or Buffalo has turned into a bunch of giant pussies just like the south :nana:

Taro beat me to it... 

I see that I-90 was shut down to tractor trailer traffic.  And the Snews is reporting Kathy Hochul's tweet that Governor Cuomo's State of Emergency declaration worked as intended as evidenced by the easy commuting around metro Buffalo.

You gotta be ####ing kidding me.  3" of snow and commerce along our Thruway is shut down and our government is patting itself on the back for averting tragedy.

Why do we think we need these people?

Kathy Hochul @LtGovHochulNY

Reporting from WesternNY Command Center - @NYGovCuomo's storm prep paid off, morning commute better than expected here. #StellaBlizzard

I fundamentally don't understand why people panic over routine storms. Never will. Even if it's the full foot....you're stuck inside for what, part of a day? Then again, I normally have enough food to survive on for a bit anyway....which brings me to another thing I don't understand: people who shop day-to-day. Isn't that a bazillion times more inconvenient than one big shop per week?

I think you guys are on the edge, so it looks routine compared to the normal lake effect the Southtowns get every few days. Down here, we've gotten probably 8-9" and it's been oscillating between rain, sleet, and those little balls of hard snow all morning. I could get out, but I have no idea when the next time the plow is coming (and if it does, it'll leave a 1-2 foot ridge of ice I have to chip out before I can park my car). I saw a car on the road behind my house spinning wheels on the white road as far as I could watch. Sure, that person probably doesn't have a clue, but that's the normal here, so I'm not going out unless I absolutely have to (like if I run out of beer).

I do agree that the panic is driven by the news, but it's not a terrible idea to have some extra supplies around the house and stay in unless you have to go out. I'm with you, I have at least a week or two of food here (if nothing else, pasta and rice) and the means to cook it (gas stove). I was out for something (prescription?) a couple years ago, and the clueless people were blocking everything. I passed at least 10 cars stuck on the hill up to my house, including a Tacoma furiously spinning all four wheels. (Side note: WRX with snow tires is the bomb.) Better to panic everyone to stay inside than have them stuck for days on the thruway.

I see that I-90 was shut down to tractor trailer traffic.  And the Snews is reporting Kathy Hochul's tweet that Governor Cuomo's State of Emergency declaration worked as intended as evidenced by the easy commuting around metro Buffalo.

You gotta be ####ing kidding me.  3" of snow and commerce along our Thruway is shut down and our government is patting itself on the back for averting tragedy.

It really is ridiculous isn't it? 

Every time one of these "big" snows hit the breweries near my house open early for snow day specials but my company is run by reasonable people and never close so I never get to go and now I'm sad and want my noon snow-day beer despite the fact that that there's like 8 inches of snow by my house and the roads are totally manageable.

/tantrum

I see that I-90 was shut down to tractor trailer traffic. And the Snews is reporting Kathy Hochul's tweet that Governor Cuomo's State of Emergency declaration worked as intended as evidenced by the easy commuting around metro Buffalo.

You gotta be ####ing kidding me. 3" of snow and commerce along our Thruway is shut down and our government is patting itself on the back for averting tragedy.

It's because the public backlash against an overreaction doesn't come close to the outrage over an underreaction. The politicians have learned this over time, and now act accordingly.

Okay, it's getting pretty bad now. 6 inches on the ground already with an inch of sleet and gusts well over thirty (maybe forty).

Throw in my snowblower dying and while trying to figure it out I see my wife running down the driveway in her robe waving her arms because our daughter is having a seizure and this is a banner day.

Okay, it's getting pretty bad now. 6 inches on the ground already with an inch of sleet and gusts well over thirty (maybe forty).

Throw in my snowblower dying and while trying to figure it out I see my wife running down the driveway in her robe waving her arms because our daughter is having a seizure and this is a banner day.

Jesus man. Is she ok?

Ah my prayers for you, keep her safe...  

Jesus man. Is she ok?

Ah my prayers for you, keep her safe...  

Thanks. In a weird way it came as a relief because it explains some of her behavior lately.

Now, the stupid snowblower not working?… that is truly upsetting.

Thanks. In a weird way it came as a relief because it explains some of her behavior lately.

Now, the stupid snowblower not working?… that is truly upsetting.

YUP, sounds about right... my son has seizures too... pain in the arse... his are myoclonic... so he is partially alert and my wife and I both roll with them at this point.  Still not fun and need to make sure he stays safe...