GDT: 4/10/22 Sabres at Tampa 5pm MSG WGR550

Brawndo

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Five games in eight nights. This team needs a break from hockey. 

The grueling compressed schedule that we are subjected to is the same grueling compressed schedule that everyone else is dealing with. Anyone that is fair-minded recognizes that the Sabres are reconstructing this roster for the better. However, we are still at the stage where this team has less margin of error than good teams with a more complete roster have. When the Sabres play with energy and up to their capabilities, they can compete. When for whatever reason the Sabres play a lackluster game they are simply overmatched. 

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Best thing about this game is it provided proof that this team needs to find real goaltending a legit top 4 RHD and probably a good depth center.  

We need to move on from Eakin, Anderson, Tokarski, Pysyk, Fitz , Bjork, Hayden, and Caggiula.  No more JAGs, No more Jags…….. 

Agree with your entire list except Anderson. You don't think he would make a decent #2 goalie while the franchise tries to add more depth at the position (given the less-than-great news about Sabres' prospects going back to school)? I didn't watch today's game, but in general, he's played winning hockey when healthy. And he's a "well-seasoned" vet. Sounds like a perfect #2 candidate until the franchise restocks the cupboards. Let the younger guys (whomever that might be) get #1 playing time in the minors and juniors. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree with your entire list except Anderson. You don't think he would make a decent #2 goalie while the franchise tries to add more depth at the position (given the less-than-great news about Sabres' prospects going back to school)? I didn't watch today's game, but in general, he's played winning hockey when healthy. And he's a "well-seasoned" vet. Sounds like a perfect #2 candidate until the franchise restocks the cupboards. Let the younger guys (whomever that might be) get #1 playing time in the minors and juniors. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No. 

No just no.  We now need to move forward.  Anderson was great for what KA wanted to accomplish this year, but if KA is serious about UPL making the roster next season, then out with Anderson and Tokarski and in with an experienced goaltender under 35.  Winning games now needs to be the standard for next season, not just putting on a decent show.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Umm, did anyone actually seriously think he was?

That game was like a big collection of them doing everything they have done badly the last several years with absolutely nothing redeeming. 

Bad D, bad team play, lack of effort, soft, just a pile of rubbish. 

Yes there are people who have stated on here they wouldn’t mind if Craig Anderson re-signed.
I wasn’t just talking about the TB game, I was talking approximately the last 5 games but that TB game was brutal to watch. I saw at least 3 Middelstadt turnovers in that game all leading to scoring chances.

9 hours ago, Ogre said:

I have, on hand, 2 1/2 handles worth of my tequila not to mention all the other ***** that I have for OP/JIC…

Judge all you want, life is hard.

I make sure to always have handles of the four basic booze groups (vodka, gin, whisk[e]y, tequila). Some with backups.

Can't wait 'til I can enjoy them again.

… although,… I have been sleeping reeeeeally well.😂

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I make sure to always have handles of the four basic booze groups (vodka, gin, whisk[e]y, tequila). Some with backups.

Can't wait 'til I can enjoy them again.

… although,… I have been sleeping reeeeeally well.😂

You never know when some friends or family might drop by.  Gotta have supplies at the ready.  Also have a beer fridge in the man cave with anywhere from 50-100 beers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Two observations,  i know im late to the party, 1. when they pack it on D, who ever regains the puck after a scramble always seems to try and skate it out of the zone instead a high flip out and the D end up running into their own teamate.  Noticed this against Fla... each screw up led to a bad chance and a couple goals in both games...

The other issues is forwards need to see how many are needed that low and is it a result of Alamo mode or how much is it coaching... either D or recoverer needs to get puck out of zone...  yeh and Anderson played like dog doo doo.

Few would argue that this team needs a major upgrade in net. Based on how the GM has seemed to minimize the position I'm not even sure if it is a priority for him. My sense (opinion) is that the GM is banking on UPL as being his primary goalie with another second-tier goalie added to the position. That lack of urgency to address that position is risking another middling season played in front of an even more declining audience.  

As much as there is a lot of attention on the goalie position this team still has glaring weaknesses. Out of the 11 offensive categories the Sabres have no player listed in the top 20 in any of the categories. How many times has the opposition capitalized on our defensive lapses and converted while the Sabres attempted to capitalize on the opposition's mistakes with near misses?  

There is an assumption that Quinn and JJ will make the roster. That should help the offense. However, this organization needs to use its cap and draft capital to bring in at least another couple players in order to bulk up the roster sooner rather than later. I believe that the GM in general is taking the right approach in rebuilding the roster. However, he will be making a mistake if he doesn't accelerate the rebuild process with a couple to few aggressive moves to add more talent to the roster. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Based on how the GM has seemed to minimize the position I'm not even sure if it is a priority for him.

Eh. Kevyn is a bit of a poker player. If he shows his hand and admits we need goalie help bad, it will jack up the price on any goalie deal.  I expect a hockey trade in the off-season that includes a salary dump of a goalie that's not too bad and has some miles in the tank... an overpaid "throw-in" that another team is ready to move on from but will be an upgrade to us.

All the talk about goaltending needing to improve is old news and it’s as plain as the Fedora on my head  

Making any new conclusions out of this game is a mistake.  Throw this game out boys.  This team was drained and it showed. The SC champs were not going to lose a 5th straight to anyone today. 

Move on to Toronto.  

If Eakin is still injured put Hayden in, not Bjork.  Hayden is very limited but you get honest effort and if the Leaves get scrappy at least we have someone there.  

Take Miller off of the ice forever, pair Psysk with Power.  

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Eh. Kevyn is a bit of a poker player. If he shows his hand and admits we need goalie help bad, it will jack up the price on any goalie deal.  I expect a hockey trade in the off-season that includes a salary dump of a goalie that's not too bad and has some miles in the tank... an overpaid "throw-in" that another team is ready to move on from but will be an upgrade to us.

Everyone in the hockey world knows the hand he has. To carry that logic even farther: everyone in the business knows what everyone has and doesn't have as far as player needs. There are no secrets because everything is on display when teams play.

I'm hoping you are right about the probability of a hockey trade or deal for a goalie. 

40 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Every team knows everything about everybody’s roster and prospect pool.  No secrets. 

We don’t want another spent goalie, we don’t want an overpaid throw in.  We want a guy that can help improve this team and make a push to competing for playoffs.   A real goalie. 

Portillo is at best a coin flip to ever join the pipeline.   Levi is a few years away.  UPL gets a chance next season.  With UPL  we also must have a 1B that improves on Anderson’s play this season. If we can’t do that then I think  we will start to ruin the “new core“.   

It is time to stop settling and actually makes moves to improve! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I think everyone who follows hockey knows we need goalie help bad...not really a secret. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yes there are people who have stated on here they wouldn’t mind if Craig Anderson re-signed.
I wasn’t just talking about the TB game, I was talking approximately the last 5 games but that TB game was brutal to watch. I saw at least 3 Middelstadt turnovers in that game all leading to scoring chances.

KA needs to shop Mittlestat during the summer to see what he can get. He’s more of a liability than an asset, and his spot can be filled by a younger player with more potential.

20 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

KA needs to shop Mittlestat during the summer to see what he can get. He’s more of a liability than an asset, and his spot can be filled by a younger player with more potential.

What player 22 or younger is on the roster or in the system that can replace Mitts and has more potential?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What player 22 or younger is on the roster or in the system that can replace Mitts and has more potential?

Also, Meatballs said on interview that Mitts is playing, and still hurt. We all need (I know I will get smacked for this) to be a bit more patient with these young guys.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.